GUILTY FL - Gretchen Grodin, 11 mos, found in shallow grave, Fort Myers, 2000

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by ClockWatcher, Jun 23, 2009.

1. ClockWatcher

ClockWatcher New Member

http://www.news-press.com/article/20090617/CRIME/906170392/1075

Finally! Last Wednesday Justin Grodin was found guilt of first degree murder for the death of baby Gretchen. Today is the penalty phase. Closing arguments for the death penalty have just ended.

This case has many similarities to the Caylee Anthony case.

2. Loading...

3. AmandaBrown23

AmandaBrown23 Im just living among all the madness

I wonder why the mom wasnt charged, it says she helped bury the body.

4. tracy87

tracy87 New Member

i think she was charged and pled guilty. she has been serving time and testified against him. i can't remember the specifics. is there another thread on websleuths about this case?

i live in ft myers and remember this case. i worked around the corner where the poor baby was found. so very very sad.

5. ClockWatcher

ClockWatcher New Member

6. ClockWatcher

ClockWatcher New Member

I live less than 2 miles from the apartments where this occurred. I've been waiting for this day for many long years.

Yes...mom copped to a lesser in exchange for her testimony. They both should fry.

7. cleo612

cleo612 My reason for waking up each day!

She was charged according to this snippet from the link posted above:

8. AmandaBrown23

AmandaBrown23 Im just living among all the madness

Oh okay sorry I didnt read enough to see that. Im glad though because they both deserve to rot in jail and in something that rhymes with jail lol

9. tracy87

tracy87 New Member

yeah, i worked for doctors office off of college parkway, it was too close.

i agree that mom should have faced a tougher punishment. i can't believe she has been sitting in the collier county JAIL for the past NINE years...why didnt she go to PRISON???

this was one of the first cases that i followed that involved child abuse/murder by a family member. i know it has been happening for hundreds of years, but this is the case that made it "real". i guess because it was so "close."

10. mysterygirl

mysterygirl A Nancy Drew Wannabe

11. mysterygirl

12. Bobbisangel

Bobbisangel New Member

Sounds to me like the mother should have gotten the same sentence that he man got...the DP. Any woman who would help bury her baby girl and not turn the killer in is guilty too. Was she home when this baby was murdered? If so, she should never have gotten any kind of a deal.

Glad this baby has finally gotten justice. The sad thing is though....justice never brings the dead back to life. Hope they throw that mother in general population in prison and she will probably get the DP too.

13. ClockWatcher

ClockWatcher New Member

I've been searching for an article that would provide a good time line or overview of the entire case. I'll keep on searching, but for now this can give you a little more insight about these two very messed up, broken, people. The bio-mom, should have been incarcerated long ago and NEVER had an opportunity to ever...indiscriminately breed...again after her second child was almost killed by Justin. :furious:

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2006/apr/24/witness_dead_babys_dad_acted_weird/

14. ClockWatcher

ClockWatcher New Member

15. Tonia

Tonia New Member

A Fort Myers man convicted in the death of his infant daughter has been sentenced to life in prison.

A Lee County judge broke from the jury's recommendation of the death penalty Friday and sentenced 35-year-old Justin Grodin to life behind bars.

The trial was delayed for a decade because of questions about Grodin's mental health. His wife and the girl's mother pleaded guilty to child abuse and is scheduled to be sentenced on Monday.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/florida/AP/story/1240471.html

16. Kymistry35

Kymistry35 It's never to late to be who you could have been

I am so glad that both of these monsters were found guilty and locked up. God Bless baby Gretchen, she was such a pretty little angel.

17. mysterygirl

I am sorry he did not end up with the DP....I see the judge broke that, too bad.