GUILTY FL - 'Hiccup Girl' Jennifer Mee charged in murder of Shannon Griffin

From this abstract, it sounds as if it is the co-morbid disorders which so commonly occur with Tourette's and are the cause of sudden rage attacks and intermittent explosive episodes reflex a high level of psychosocial morbidity.

Even though the children studied here had only mild tic activity, they exhibited a high level of neurological disturbance. To me, that means that possibly this young woman's hiccups were caused by a mild form of Tourette's and along with Tourette's she suffered other neuro-differences. Sadly, it appears that rage or an explosive episode was an outcome.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9862602

Not an expert by any means, but I had one juvenile client with Tourette's syndrome. I liked him a lot, personally, but he was one of the most frustrating young men I ever worked with. He was extremely impulsive, which, for a 16 year old, isn't that uncommon. But the frustrating part was that he would get extremely fixated on certain ideas. No amount of discussion, logic, argument, or advice could convince him that what *he* wanted to happen just *wasn't* going to happen. Once he got an idea into his head, there was no way to talk him out of it--you just had to wait until he got his next big idea.

My opinion only--I can totally see Tourette's Syndrome being a contributing factor here. Do I think it's enough to absolve this young woman totally, or lead to a successful NGI plea? Extremely doubtful.

Convienently while she was in court and her lawyer was trying to get her released. Makes you wonder if they're really back or just for show.
http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/story.aspx?storyid=154190&catid=250

Pinellas County, Florida - Jennifer Mee gained national attention in 2007 when she couldn't stop hiccupping. Now charged with 1st degree murder, the hiccups appear to be back.
On Tuesday morning, Mee hiccupped and sobbed throughout a court hearing. Her attorney John Trevena is trying to get her out of jail on bond. He told the judge Mee's family would watch her 24/7.
Photo Gallery: Jennifer Mee MySpace photos
Photo Gallery: Hiccup girl charged with murder
But the prosecutor argued that Mee had run away several times as a juvenile and that her family had no control over her then.
Mee, 19, and two other men are charged with robbing and shooting to death 22-year-old Shannon Griffin. Griffin's cousin Doug Bolden told the judge that he didn't want any other family to go through this and that Mee should stay in jail.
Judge Donald Horrox will announce his decision on Friday.

From the article and also on the video:

On Friday the judge will decide if Mee hiccups and cries in jail or at home.

I'm might be in the minority, but I can't stand it when reporters make snarky comments. I don't need their attempt at wit. I wish they would just report the news and quit trying to be cutesy. This a very sad case with nothing comical about it. :sick:

Maybe I'm just getting old and crabby :(

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/bail-denied-to-hiccup-723607.html

Endless_Hiccups_Arr_737414l.jpg

This has been dragging on for three years ... any thoughts on why it has taken three years to get to trial?

Todays up date: 9-17-13

Hiccup Girl' on Trial on Murder Charge in Florida

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/hiccup-girl-trial-murder-charge-florida-20280523

>>>>>>>>>SNIP

Mee's co-defendant, LaRon Raiford, was convicted and sentenced to life in prison in August. Lamont Newton, the other co-defendant who was also Mee's boyfriend at the time of the crime, has not yet gone to trial.

>>>>>>>>>SNIP

John Trevena, Mee's attorney, said his client suffered from Tourette's Syndrome, a neurological disorder that can cause involuntary movements and speech problems. He said that the hiccups were one symptom of Tourette's and said Tuesday that he will mention that during the trial.

"It won't be used as a direct cause for what occurred but it might help explain her errors in judgment and her often thoughtless response to law enforcement," said Trevena, who said that Mee did not participate in the robbery.

He added that his client has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and that he plans to explain that to the jury as well.

>>>>>>>>>>SNIP

IMHO - She led poor Shannon Griffin, a 22-year-old Walmart worker into a trap.

This has been dragging on for three years ... any thoughts on why it has taken three years to get to trial?

JMHO ---- Because she had a lot of publicity? "Hiccup gir".....
they were looking for a lawyer with some clout, a condition, and time....

Jury picked for 'Hiccup Girl' Jennifer Mee's murder trial

LARGO — Three years after Shannon Griffin was shot, killed and left for dead in the dark, a jury has been selected for one of the people accused in his murder.

Opening statements are scheduled for this morning in the case against Jennifer Mee, the 22-year-old woman known as "Hiccup Girl."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...cup-girl-jennifer-mee-set-for-tuesday/2142197

JMHO ---- Because she had a lot of publicity? "Hiccup gir".....
they were looking for a lawyer with some clout, a condition, and time....

DId you see that video; with her standing there in her dress blues, working up into the hiccups????:scared:

She is faking those; tics happen all the time not just on cue as she has clearly just shown us...I believe she is malingering.:twocents:

Interesting defense ... she didn't do it, but if she did it's because she has Tourette's Syndrome, and if that isn't enough, she also has Schizophrenia. Since neither of those conditions are curable, I think that means that she will always be a danger to society. That is, I don't see either of those medical conditions as a reason to minimize the consequences of her actions.

DefAtty trying to get this delayed???? Live feed btw

The judge does not seem to be very happy with this defense attorney. He waited until today to bring up new theories.

Competancy an issue Defense didn't let court know she may not be conpetent to stand trial. 20 min break court resumes at 10:30 promptly. Wants all to stipulate to her competency. dear lord....Judge will "keep an open mind" jury not yet sworn.

If state decides they want to address her competency, this will all come to a halt. Defense wants to do this schzophrenics stand trial ALL THE TIME according to our Judge.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back