Identified! FL - Homosassa, Human remains in woods, Jan'15 - George Zelaya

There was no mention that he went to the store either just that he was last seen at his house so it's quite plausible that something happened to him and he was placed down the road in the woods and then his car placed at the shopping center to make people thing that's where he was last.

I hope they find Mr Zelaya, albeit this wouldn't be the ideal way of finding him.

The events just following his disappearance are so "WEIRD" (for a lack of a better word) that it's hard to guess what happened to him.

With the checks and bank stuff it sounds like it was at least semi-planned, either by him or someone else. From what I've read, he wasn't acting any differently or showing any signs that "something was up."

Missing
George Robert "Skip" Zelaya

This is all from from Zelaya's missing person thread:

Soon after his brother's absence was noted, Joe Zelaya said he received an envelope containing Skip's driver's license, some checks and a bankcard posted to his address. It was post-dated the day after his disappearance. Included was a note about their shared bank account, a note that concluded simply: "Sorry, Skip."

Joe Zelaya said his brother also filled out a change-of-mailing-address card Jan. 14, forwarding Skip's mail to his own home.
The Skip "skipping" scenario bothers his family members.

Daughter Kathleen said all the scenarios have gone through her head, but she refuses to believe her father would put her and the rest of her family through the pain of not knowing his fate. "I believe something bad has happened to him."

Joe Zelaya said: "If he walked he wouldn't have left without any money in his pocket, with no watch or cell phone. He wouldn't do that. He wouldn't have left his tools in his truck."

He said his brother had accumulated debts of about $100,000, but said those debts wouldn't cause him to disappear.

"He was comfortable with the payments; that wouldn't be the reason," Zelaya said.
She said she [daughter Susan] and some her siblings consulted a psychic in California over the telephone; they were told by that seer that Skip Zelaya was no longer living on this plane of existence.

She doesn't know what to think.

"I think there was foul play, but I have no proof," Joe Zelaya said Monday.
--above from (http://www.chronicleonline.com/articles/2005/02/27/columns/fables_and_foibles/news953.txt) (DEAD LINK)

Also, his late brother seemed to be rather (fortunately, I suppose) uninformed about suicide...

Kin, friends share hopes for missing man (Tampabay.com 6/4/2005)
(the site Kelly quotes from)
"Who goes to hide to commit suicide?" asked his brother, Joe Zelaya, 63, also of Homosassa
He didn't show any signs of being suicidal, but hiding or running off is fairly common (due to mental illness, shame, etc) in suicides.

If it is him I'd have a hard time with the suicide theory because his car was found 4 miles away. I agree it is all bizarre though. Especially him forwarding his mail.

Cross-posting/referencing from Margo Register's thread - http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-River-4-January-1994&p=10142794#post10142794

Posted Jan 18. I posted a link to this thread over there.
http://www.wuft.org/news/2014/01/17/search-reignites-for-body-of-woman-missing-for-20-years/
The Citrus County Sheriff’s office began searching Monday for a body that has been missing for 20 years. However, as of Friday evening, the search had proved unfruitful...
Yates said the tip, which was received some months ago, was from a source who claimed to have seen Register’s body...
She said the search has been demanding, with officers combing through a flooded and heavily wooded area tangled in tree roots.

https://www.facebook.com/sheriffcitrus/posts/810704942318643
Late yesterday, the Citrus County Sheriff’s Office received a call reference bones being found deep in the woods off of S. Mason Creek Road and S Garcia Road in Homosassa. Lelland Nichols was the person who discovered the bones while walking through the wooded area. When deputies and detectives arrived on scene they were able to confirm that the discovered bones were in fact that of human remains. CCSO Forensics and detectives, along with the Medical Examiner’s Office, are working diligently to identify the remains and the circumstances behind them. It is too early to tell how old the person was at the time of death and whether or not this is a male or female. This area is being treated as a crime scene and investigators are expected to be working in this vicinity for several days. We will provide updates when they become available but at this time, we do not have any further details.
(These photos are a CCSO exclusive and were taken from behind the crime scene tape.)

photos and comments at link.

Wouldn't they have a match by dental records by now? Only takes a day or so for that, right?

That would be correct that dental records would be much quicker. However, we do not know my dads dentist and they do not have his dental records. They only have DNA from him and two of his daughters. Only the person he was living with at the time would know and LE "wants to respect her privacy". Whatever!! Does anyone have an idea of how long it should take before forensics would come back with a profile, or how long it would take for my dads DNA to be matched to the bones DNA??? I would hope they would expedite it being they could rule out a missing person quickly. I hope and pray this is my dad - all of his kids do.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back