FL FL - Isabella Hellmann, 41, catamaran off Cay Sal, SE of the FL Keys, 14 May 2017 #1 *GUILTY*

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is still so hinky IMO. The evidence and facts don't tell me whether it's him or her who set this in motion, or perhaps both, nor why exactly. LE must have more information than we do.

I would think that the more experienced sailor would be at the helm the majority of the night, since that's the most dangerous time to sail.
Seriously!! What new husband sticks his wife on night duty?? I know my husband would have stayed up all night and woken me in the AM. Also, leaving at 5:30 PM makes absolutely no sense, Why not just wait until 5 AM the next morning and sail all day?

No, it is virtually impossible to see things in the water. It is a perspective you have to experience to understand the vastness of the sea. Their first priority was rescuing him and looking for her.

God only knows where a shipping container would be hours later, or if any shipping container they found would be what struck him.

Sometimes boaters make stupid decisions on when to leave because of 1) schedule 2) weather 3) conditions of a variety of issues etc.

He would have taken night shift the next night. They may have felt it was better for her to take first night shift since they were going away from land, etc.

No, you press the EPIRB button and then absolutely nothing happens. You have to have faith that some rescue agency received the coordinates. I don't think anyone else would know he pressed it unless they did all point bulletin for boats in the area to assist.

I don't think it's weird the sister/family took items belonging to her when stopping by to get the baby's things, if that actually happened. If my sister went missing and I didn't trust her husband, I'd instinctively grab anything I could that would be meaningful or valuable to my sister. Because if she turned back up I'd want to guarantee she still had those things and that they didn't turn up missing or end up sold by sketchy husband, and for both sentimental and evidence-gathering reasons if she didn't come back. The only reasons I wouldn't touch her stuff are if 1) I implicitly trusted her husband or 2) the apartment was an official crime scene and/or police told me not to touch anything.

more updates:

April 8 - Government officials in St. Maarten confirmed Bennett’s 1986 37-foot Fountaine Pajot Orana 44 catamaran came in, named "Surf Into Summer", listing Sydney, Australia as the home port.
April 26 - Bennett flew from London to Fort Lauderdale and the couple was going to take a flight to the Caribbean to begin their trip.
April 29 - Hellman posted on Facebook: “Caribbean, here I come,” along with a map bearing a dotted line from South Florida to St. Maarten.
April 30 - Government officials in St. Maarten confirmed Bennett’s boat left for the trip.
May 1 - Hellman posts from Puerto Rico, referencing "another day in paradise".
May 2 - Hellman posts from the British Virgin Islands.
May 3 - Hellman's cellphone breaks and all contact from this point on was through Bennett's iPad.
May 14 - 5:30 p.m. - Catamaran leaves Havana, Cuba, with a final destination of Boca Raton, FL. Officials said the catamaran's last port of call was Cuba.
May 14 - 8:00 p.m. - Bennett goes below deck to sleep, leaving Hellman at the helm of the boat wearing a life vest.
May 14 - 8:25 p.m. - Hellmann called her family to say she had left Cuba and was at sea, saying the satellite phone had been malfunctioning, but the couple had gotten it working and “we’re heading home.” Hellman's sister said the satellite phone did not activate until hours before Isabella’s disappearance. 'They connect[ed] it that Sunday night. She called me at 8:25 p.m. and said 'oh hi, we just connected the phone, it’s been really hard for us to connect it cause his [Bennett’s] friend told me it’s hard,' her sister said, recalling the conversation with Isabella. 'She said ‘I’m in the middle of the ocean right now, we left Cuba.'
May 14 - 1:00 a.m.-1:35 a.m. - Bennett said he awoke to something hitting the boat and felt that it was starting to sink. Bennett used a satellite phone to call the International Response Coordination Center, a private company, which passed the SOS to the Coast Guard. When he saw the catamaran was taking on water, he dropped the lifeboat into the water and got into it, fired his emergency position beacon — commonly called an EPIRB. The catamaran is now 30 miles west of Cay Sal, which is about 100 miles southeast of Key West and about 130 miles east-northeast of Havana.
May 15 - 3:00 a.m. - Hellman's sister said she woke up to several missed calls and voice mails. One was from the satellite phone from Bennett who said, 'this is an emergency, you need to call the Coast Guard. This is my coordinates.'
May 15 - 4:30 a.m.-4:50 a.m. - The Coast Guard chopper pinpointed Bennett floating in a life raft with a personal locator beacon about 1,000 yards from the now upside-down Surf into Summer and in about 4,800 feet of water. Bennett said the USCG allowed him to retrieve a backpack from the catamaran; in it was his iPad, the satellite phone, chargers, his wallet, and documents related to the boat. A basket pulled Bennett from his raft in 2-to-4-foot seas and taken to Marathon Key, FL. He told the USCG he was unable to find his wife and had no choice but to abandon the vessel. Hellmann’s family picked him up that afternoon and brought him to their home in Boca Raton.
May 15 - within hours of when Bennett would have been rescued, a neighbor said she saw a car parked downstairs belonging to Hellmann’s sister.
May 17 - Neighbor said she saw five relatives go into Bennett/Hellman's Delray Beach apartment.
May 17 evening - His first first time back in his Delray Beach apartment. Hellmann’s engagement ring, electronics and an expensive handbag were gone. A neighbor told him that she’d seen the family in the apartment. Bennett said he was considering “civil action” against Hellman's family members who he believes went into his condo while he was in Cuba.
May 17 - Neighbor said he approached Bennett to express his concern and sympathy. “He said, ‘Yeah. I’m going to be leaving for England. I’ve got to move on with my life,’ ” The neighbor said, ‘What about the baby?’ He stopped and said, “Oh. I guess I’ve got to take her with me too".
May 17 or 18 (day before USCG search called off) - Hellman's best friend pleaded with Bennett not to leave the country with the couple’s baby. “I begged him to please understand that the family lost Isabella and the only piece of Isabella left was (the baby), and he just can’t leave and take (her).” "He said he understands, but he’s got his life in Australia.” The best friend reminded Bennett, at the Hellmann family home in Boca Raton, about the huge effort by family and friends to find the two Tequesta teens lost at sea in 2015, and “suggested he do his own search. I mean, he’s a captain. He knows the sea. He knows the area. Do something. Not stay here. I would be looking for my wife."
May 18 - U.S. Coast Guard called off the search after searching 6,680 square miles of sea.
May 19 - the key lock on Bennett’s front door had been replaced with an electronic keypad. Bennett contacted deputies to file a complaint. Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office confirms.
May 20-23 - Bennett and baby stay at the apartment. Also that weekend, Bennett told a neighbor he wanted to search for his wife but had lost his passport when the vessel sank. He said he had obtained a temporary one but that it barred him from leaving the country right away.
May 23 - 8:30 p.m. - neighbor said she saw “official-looking” men with latex gloves and Bennett out by his car
May 24 - another neighbor was walking his dog and saw Bennett “bringing stuff out. He had someone helping him. They were throwing stuff in the dumpster.”
May 25 - Bennett's car is gone.
May 26 or 27 - CBS 12 visited the apartment. No one was home, but two boxes marked evidence were left on the front stoop-- one was open at the top, and they could see inside. The item looked like a piece of inflatable marine equipment, possibly a life-vest.
May 27 - Bennett returns from Cuba. He said he “met the authorities there and checked every hospital, but there is no sign of her.”
May 28 - Bennett went to Boca Raton to pick up the baby, he returns to Hellman's family's home with a Boca Raton police officer demanding the baby’s things.

In addition:

The Coast Guard said responders inspected the boat “the best they could from the surface,” and never saw what it might have struck. The catamaran is steered by a tiller alongside a canvas seat, near the stern, close enough that a person in it could be flung overboard by the impact of a collision. It was too dangerous for anyone from the Coast Guard to go inside the boat and that divers banged on the hull but no one answered. The agency does not believe Hellmann’s body is inside.

The catamaran’s pontoons had neither visible holes nor obvious places where water could have filled them, but there were deep scrapes at the back ends of each. A Coast Guard photo shows the catamaran upside down with one pontoon below the surface and the other above the water line.

And why would that boat continue to sail along and only the cat had damage? And wouldn't they see that there is someone setting off an emergency beacon?

Another boat makes no sense. Like a hit and run? Pirates?
I meant it in a more nefarious way. Perhaps he didn't plan this alone? This whole case is way beyond my ability to crunch theories because I'm not a boater.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

this is still so hinky IMO. The evidence and facts don't tell me whether it's him or her who set this in motion, or perhaps both, nor why exactly. LE must have more information than we do.
Funny you say that. Very early on I am like why assume he killed her. Maybe she drugged his dinner, handicapped the boat and had a midnight rondevous with another planned boat in the night and is gone. (I read too many thrillers)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I don't think it's weird the sister/family took items belonging to her when stopping by to get the baby's things, if that actually happened. If my sister went missing and I didn't trust her husband, I'd instinctively grab anything I could that would be meaningful or valuable to my sister
I think it's very weird for that to be one of the first reactions of the sister and isn't it theft? The husband presumably paid for the engagement ring, what right does the sister have to just take it -if that indeed happened.

I think it's very weird for that to be one of the first reactions of the sister and isn't it theft? The husband presumably paid for the engagement ring, what right does the sister have to just take it -if that indeed happened.

Perhaps keepsake for the baby? idk

Tread lightly with the family, folks. Do not sleuth the victim's sister or parents.

You may continue to discuss statements made by the family in the media, but let's not speculate about the missing woman's family and their possible motivations.

As for the husband, you may continue to discuss his statements to the media, but do not outright accuse him of a crime. He has not been named a suspect in his wife's disappearance at this time.

(O/T, but does anyone remember the name of the man who disappeared from his boat, and it ran ashore? His wife and child(ren) were on board and supposedly woke up the next morning, with the boat grounded and him missing. It's been several years and some suspected the wife of foul play. Since reading about Isabella, I've tried to find his thread, with no luck..tia)

She is his baby too.

And a woman is more likely (a generalization of course) to keep something like a ring for sentimental value.

This is just something that happened in a divorce in my family when a grandmother went in and took a few things (a ring included) that we wouldn't have today if she didn't. The other party to the divorce moved out of the country never heard from again.

I'm not saying anything other than I can see why IF in fact it even happened.

Now if we are discussing the purses yeah thats weird:).

And why would that boat continue to sail along and only the cat had damage? And wouldn't they see that there is someone setting off an emergency beacon?

Another boat makes no sense. Like a hit and run? Pirates?

Hit and run because they never noticed they hit anything. A container ship is probably not going to notice hitting a small boat at night.

MSM articles seem to indicate the boat is closer to Cay Sal than Cuba. Why were the hospitals in Cuba checked instead of Cay Sal?

The catamaran is upside down, floating in about 4,800 feet of water in an area that’s about 70 miles southeast of Key West and about 100 miles east-northeast of Havana [Cuba] and 30 miles from Cay Sal.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/l...ter-search-second-day/GKNsp1yIIdu2O3fVL929YO/

Hate to be the poster that quotes myself.... BUT after looking at a map, it does make sense to search Cuba because according to the help FB, they left from Varadero Cuba not Havana. Varadero, is very close to Cay Sal. However, it is odd that ONLY Cuba was checked when it's just as likely she could have made it to Cay Sal.

(O/T, but does anyone remember the name of the man who disappeared from his boat, and it ran ashore? His wife and child(ren) were on board and supposedly woke up the next morning, with the boat grounded and him missing. It's been several years and some suspected the wife of foul play. Since reading about Isabella, I've tried to find his thread, with no luck..tia)

I do remember that, read alot abt it...but all that comes to mind is that his name was John, and they were in Nantucket.
And didn't they eventually find his foot still in his boot? Creepy, I know.

I don't think she ever got charged with anything. She was going to take over his gardening business...too.

I do remember that, read alot abt it...but all that comes to mind is that his name was John, and they were in Nantucket.
And didn't they eventually find his foot still in his boot? Creepy, I know.

I don't think she ever got charged with anything. She was going to take over his gardening business...too.

Yes, that's the one! I had his name as Tony, but John sounds right..I'm going to try and search here with John and Nantucket.

I don't think it's weird the sister/family took items belonging to her when stopping by to get the baby's things, if that actually happened. If my sister went missing and I didn't trust her husband, I'd instinctively grab anything I could that would be meaningful or valuable to my sister. Because if she turned back up I'd want to guarantee she still had those things and that they didn't turn up missing or end up sold by sketchy husband, and for both sentimental and evidence-gathering reasons if she didn't come back. The only reasons I wouldn't touch her stuff are if 1) I implicitly trusted her husband or 2) the apartment was an official crime scene and/or police told me not to touch anything.

or perhaps - since we are just brainstorming here - she is secreted away somewhere and asked her sister to go get those things for her...

Just want there to be a possibility she is alive and well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken