FL FL - Isabella Hellmann, 41, catamaran off Cay Sal, SE of the FL Keys, 14 May 2017 #1 *GUILTY*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he is innocent, why play "hide and seek"? This just makes him look guilty, IMO.

If he flew out of the US, probably Florida, is there not a way to track where he went? Perhaps I thought our tracking system was better than it really is! Having his name, and flying with an infant, should be even a quicker way to identify him. Even if he is using an alias, having the infant would flag him much quicker.

If he is innocent, why play "hide and seek"? This just makes him look guilty, IMO.

If he flew out of the US, probably Florida, is there not a way to track where he went? Perhaps I thought our tracking system was better than it really is! Having his name, and flying with an infant, should be even a quicker way to identify him. Even if he is using an alias, having the infant would flag him much quicker.

....the above..only if he had a warrant at the time?

MSM doesn't have the capability for searching a name for flights outside of US unless they get that information from somebody else in LE?

I'm with you on the first part. I was a fence-sitter (though I was leaning so far I almost fell off the fence!). I don't see the need to disappear. Sounds like there's bad blood between the two families but you don't need to disappear to achieve distance. Isabella's family has already had one loss. Why make them suffer another? I don't know. Plenty of mystery still to this one.

*Just my musings, moo, jmo...etc.

He is not a US citizen. I am not surprised that he left the country.

If he flew anywhere, this information is available to the FBI. No one gets on an International Flight without a passport and no one gets on a domestic flight without photo ID like a driver's license. The FBI knows the destination of the flight. How is he hiding if he is in England, his home country? Why should he make a public statement? For who?

Why should he call his deceased wife's family? They blame him for her death and robbed his house while he was floating in a life raft! I wouldn't want anything to do with them either.

I wouldn't make a public statement if it were me in his shoes and I wouldn't be worried about what SM has to say about me. I would be busy trying to pull my life together and figure out what I was going to do with my new life as a grieving widow with an infant.

And all that. JMHO

Exactly, tea time.

He hasn't even been named a person of interest and the story isn't gaining traction. IMO, At this point and taking his story at face value, he owes her family nothing after their behavior.

It is no one's business where he is.

If he flew anywhere, this information is available to the FBI. No one gets on an International Flight without a passport and no one gets on a domestic flight without photo ID like a driver's license. The FBI knows the destination of the flight. How is he hiding if he is in England, his home country? Why should he make a public statement? For who?

Why should he call his deceased wife's family? They blame him for her death and robbed his house while he was floating in a life raft! I wouldn't want anything to do with them either.

I wouldn't make a public statement if it were me in his shoes and I wouldn't be worried about what SM has to say about me. I would be busy trying to pull my life together and figure out what I was going to do with my new life as a grieving widow with an infant.

And all that. JMHO
RBBM

If I were in his position, I probably wouldn't be making a public statement, either.

As far as Isabella's family breaking into her condo, I am not quite convinced yet. If we are to believe the neighbor, she saw a car belonging to one of Isabella's sisters the morning Bennett was rescued. Later the same day, she went to pick him up after the Coast Guard flew him back to Marathon. I think a possible reason for that may be Bennett asked her to go to the condo and get a change of clothes for him.

Again, according to the neighbor, she saw one of Isabella's sisters and their mother enter the condo a couple of days later. It is possible that they went there to remove electronics (IIRC, a computer, iPad, engagement ring, high-end handbags and some clothing belonging to Isabella), as claimed by Bennett. It is also possible that he has video to prove that they did that, as claimed by Bennett. The police report on his visit to the home of Isabella's family references that claim, but does not say Bennett had shared the footage with LE or if he did, it is not mentioned. Isabella's sister, on the other hand, denied stealing these items from the condo, and invited Bennett to go look for them in her house. She may have been telling the truth, or might have hidden the items somewhere outside the house or passed them onto the FBI by then. For me, this is still a case of he-said-she-said.

Another theory I have about the alleged stolen items is that they were lost at sea along with the boat and Isabella. I have seen the pictures on her Facebook and Instagram. She is a couple of years younger than me. She is attractive, and in most of the photos -and it may just be that I am a slob ;)-, she is incredibly well put together, IMO. The impression I get is she is someone who genuinely enjoys clothes and fashion and presents herself very well.

I have never traveled to the area Isabella and Bennett were visiting, but I have traveled throughout Asia and the US. When I was younger -before having children ;)- I would actually take some of the nicest -and most expensive- clothes, bags, shoes, jewelry, etc. in my closet ith me not only for business purposes but also for just going out. So personally, I wouldn't find it strange at all if Isabella did take the supposed stolen items with her on her trip, especially if it was indeed considered a belated honeymoon.

And as far as electronics go, I still bring those items with me. If I am going to be gone for more than a week, my laptop also (I am not sure if Isabella has a laptop or a desktop).

Maybe Bennett was so sick and tired of being accused of something he may or may not have done that he wanted to cast them in a bad light (and hopefully LE would find them less credible), even if he is innocent. I don't know.

I would expect him to have left his contact information with the FBI wherever he was going to stay (e.g., his parents' telephone number), just in case they wanted further information on the boat itself, purchasing of it, etc. If he starts to feel uncomfortable communicating with them, he can always stop working with them, and retain an attorney, if necessary.

ETA: Of course, none of this speaks to Bennett's guilt or innocence, and either way, it's probably best that he remain quiet for now. Putting myself in his shoes, though (and obviously, we don't know the whole story), I just don't think I would have been able to leave the country so quickly, considering all that he supposedly accomplished in the approximately two-week period between his rescue and alleged departure. Getting a temporary passport, going to Cuba (which I still don't understand how he would have been able to do when he himself said he couldn't - maybe something changed between he told the neighbor that and the Cuba trip), taking care of a little one, and being part of a FBI investigation, even if I wanted to be with my family ASAP. But I'm not him.

Even if the story dies, it'll live on for anyone who googles his name on the internet. Like any future girlfriends, or sailing customers.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

And all that. JMHO

Re BBM

JMO

I agree with most of the points but the bolded item it was my understanding that the items came up missing after he was recued. I know he went to Cuba after he had gotten back and I think maybe that is when they were taken. Because when he got back from Cuba is when he got the police involved to retrieve some other things that he felt was his and that was about the time he broke off all contact with her family.

Is there a photo anywhere of the boat pre-sinking?

Post 892 has a picture link and video of one that is pretty close I think.

I dont think we have been able to find an exact picture of his exact boat but these were pretty close on that post. Thanks to Jerseygirl we have those.

Ill try to link it below. It may not come out so just go to post 892 if this link does not work.

https://youtu.be/xZRL0dOPcG0

The Gold Coast call by Lewis Bennett after wife Isabella Hellman’s strange disappearance

June 9, 2017

THE first person Lewis Bennett called on discovering his new wife had fallen overboard on their luxury yacht near the Bahamas was a friend on the Gold Coast, the Bulletin can reveal.

The friend then called volunteer coast guards at Southport, who alerted the Australian Maritime Safety Authority who, in turn, forwarded the information on to US coast guards.

[...]

Never before have I heard this happen,” said Ian McPhail, an Australian Volunteer Coast Guard duty radio officer for 17 years at Southport.

“They were quite panicky, the (friend) received a satellite call from (Mr Bennett) saying he had hit a reef and his wife had gone overboard.”

All behaviors of the family thus far are excusable. IMO IMO

This family just lost a loved one who has been most precious to their hearts for 41 YEARS! This family was deeply close and inseparable with Isabella. No one had her best interests at heart more than them. Even wrongfully accusing him is excusable. Even if this was a tragic accident, they have their reasons for believing otherwise.

Bennet is NOT a POI. However, foul play has NOT been eliminated either which means he is in the hot seat. I understand why people excuse his actions because many of his actions are excusable IMO.

However, Isabella's family are victims as well. This family is devastated and ALL of their actions are excusable in my book.

The Gold Coast call by Lewis Bennett after wife Isabella Hellman’s strange disappearance

June 9, 2017

THE first person Lewis Bennett called on discovering his new wife had fallen overboard on their luxury yacht near the Bahamas was a friend on the Gold Coast, the Bulletin can reveal.

The friend then called volunteer coast guards at Southport, who alerted the Australian Maritime Safety Authority who, in turn, forwarded the information on to US coast guards.

[...]

Never before have I heard this happen,” said Ian McPhail, an Australian Volunteer Coast Guard duty radio officer for 17 years at Southport.

“They were quite panicky, the (friend) received a satellite call from (Mr Bennett) saying he had hit a reef and his wife had gone overboard.”
Assuming the article is correct, trying to think of a reason why I would call a friend on the other side of the globe in the situation he was in. Maybe the friend's number was the first one he could remember?

Something I found interesting in the article:
"[According to Ian McPhail, an Australian Volunteer Coast Guard duty radio officer for 17 years at Southport], they were quite panicky, the (friend) received a satellite call from (Mr Bennett) saying he had hit a reef and his wife had gone overboard." (BBM)

Maybe since the friend and Bennett were both panicking, and/or satellite phone reception was poor, the friend thought s/he heard Bennett say he'd hit a "reef" -when in fact he'd said something else- or maybe that was what Bennett thought at the time?

Where would they have hit a reef, though:
"Isabella Hellmann, mother to a 9-month old daughter, and her newlywed husband, Lewis Bennett, were aboard his 37-foot catamaran — named “Surf into Summer” — about 30 miles west of the Bahamas and in water more than 4,000 feet deep when the boat struck an object near the surface, her husband told the Coast Guard." (BBM)
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/l...ter-search-second-day/GKNsp1yIIdu2O3fVL929YO/

Coral reefs grow on rocks and other surfaces at the edges of islands, as I understand. Are there little islands in the area where water started getting inside the boat that they could have hit?

I had a deep gut feeling he called the business partner first.

Interesting.

After reading this piece about calling his friend first, the friend may have been his business partner. It just depends on how you refer to them.

This story just gets more confusing. It is full of too many coincidences for me.

I wonder if the path the boat was on is known to have spots one must be careful in passing through? Presuming the boat has a GPS type system to guide it, LB may have set it wrong intentionally.. Just another thought to throw into the mixture of unknowns.

The gold coast story completely disregards the EPIRB launch..

It also disregards all the calls he made to other people where he left messages.

The gold coast story completely disregards the EPIRB launch..

It also disregards all the calls he made to other people where he left messages.

That will be interesting as to the timing of the phone call and the EPIRB launch then, I think. I don't know would you call a friend first and then launch?

"Using an emergency radio, Bennett called the U.S. Coast Guard for help."

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.c...ting-case-of-newlywed-mom-missing-at-sea/amp/

"The Coast Guard says her husband called for help from a damaged catamaran."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/05/26/us/florida-woman-missing-at-sea/index.html

"about 1 a.m., the Coast Guard says, Bennett used a satellite phone to call the International Response Coordination Center, a private company, which passed the SOS to the Coast Guard"

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mypa...missing-woman/5reNR5lTYpl2kcOKNxdxaP/amp.html

"That was the last time Dayana heard her sister’s voice. At around 3 a.m. Monday Dayana said she woke up to several missed calls and voicemails. One was from the satellite phone.

“That was Lewis and said this is an emergency, you need to call the Coast Guard. This is my coordinates,” said Dayana."

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.wptv...ip-questions-what-happened-to-her-sister.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken