FL FL - Jack "Don" Lewis, 59, Tampa, 18 Aug 1997 ("Tiger King" missing husband) Joe Exotic guilty

JDL's Petition for Injunction for Protection Against Domestic Violence
At link is image of JDL's handwritten request he (<---apparently) completed and signed June 12, 1997. Also at link: Order Denying Temporary Injunction which judge signed June 12 w "Reason: no immediate threat..." (followed by a few words I cannot decipher.)

https://www.bcrwatch.com/uploads/2/6/8/1/26816874/dl_protectiveo.pdf

BBM

It reads "no immediate threat of violence".

Was just reading the document again... JDL described CB as having brown eyes?! After 16 years in a relationship he didn't know what color her eyes were?!

I also want to correct my post quoted above. It reads "no immediate threat to do violence" and not "(..) of violence".

Question: When a person files for a PO is there a hearing or some kind of investigation before being granted/denied? JDL's PO was denied the same day.

JMO

I suspect she was involved with the "disappearance" of Don Lewis. Others have noted how she shows zero emotion when talking about him. People also say the same about one of the primary suspects in another very famous case.

Plus, the way she did his children about the will indicates to me that she hated Don. She stood everything to lose with him alive and around and everything to gain with him dead and gone.

FL. Injunction Against Domestic Violence. Before a Notice or Hearing?
.... Question: When a person files for a PO is there a hearing or some kind of investigation before being granted/denied? JDL's PO was denied the same day. JMO
@PatLaurel sbm
Briefly:
Per below, imo, judge
may grant temporary injunction (aka personal protection order)
---without any record/info of an investigation by LE or other authority, and
---without a hearing
having taken place.

Not so briefly:

FL statute, as of 2019 (1997, m/h/bn different, but from legislative History notes, I can't tell)
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0741/Sections/0741.30.html Re your question re hearing:
"(4) Upon the filing of the petition, the court shall set a hearing to be held at the earliest possible time. The respondent shall be personally served with a copy of the petition, financial affidavit, Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act affidavit, if any, notice of hearing, and temporary injunction, if any, prior to the hearing.
(5)(a) If it appears to the court that an immediate and present danger of domestic violence exists, the court may grant a temporary injunction ex parte, pending a full hearing, and may grant such relief as the court deems proper, including an injunction:..." bbm
"c) Any such ex parte temporary injunction shall be effective for a fixed period not to exceed 15 days...." bbm More at link.

FL. Injunction Against Domestic Violence. Before a Notice or Hearing?
@PatLaurel sbm
Briefly:
Per below, imo, judge
may grant temporary injunction (aka personal protection order)
---without any record/info of an investigation by LE or other authority, and
---without a hearing
having taken place.

Not so briefly:

FL statute, as of 2019 (1997, m/h/bn different, but from legislative History notes, I can't tell)
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0741/Sections/0741.30.html

SBM
Thanks @al66pine! I still couldn't find a reason for a PO to be denied the same day without a previous investigation.
According to Don's lawyer, CB's threats "were protected under free speech"... but CB also had easy access to firearms... isn't that considered an "immediate threat to do violence"?

JMO

Judge's Denial of Temp. Injunction/PO, DomVio. What Grounds?
SBM Thanks @al66pine! I still couldn't find a reason for a PO to be denied the same day without a previous investigation. According to Don's lawyer, CB's threats "were protected under free speech"... but CB also had easy access to firearms... isn't that considered an "immediate threat to do violence"? JMO
@PatLaurel
In gen, a person requesting/filing a petition for a temp. injunction/protection order must allege that circumstances show a danger, as per this FL form* page 1, paragraph (a) & statute** an "immediate and present danger of domestic violence exists and irreparable and permanent injury will probably occur in the form of violence to the petitioner, ... unless this injunction is issued without notice." bbm Note: "will probably." Then at hearing has opportunity to present evidence.
--- Before notice is served on Respondent/Carole and before hearing is held, judge decides about temporary injunction based on JDL's allegations.
-- After Resp't. is served notice/copy of petition, at a hearing scheduled within 15 days, judge decides whether to grant (longer) injunction, based on evidence Pet'ner/JDL presents, and evidence Resp't may present.

I suspect these are principal reasons for judge's denying JDL a temp. injunction:
--- JDL did not allege any prior injuries inflicted on him by Carole.
--- JDL did not allege any prior drug/alcohol abuse treatment, or prior Baker Act/involuntary commitment, or prior attempt to get injunction, for/by either him or Carole, page 2, para's (e) and (f).

--- JDL's home was also his business/work place and was caretaker for animals.
--- Much of his page 4 narrative focused on Carole's purportedly unauthorized removal of some of his personal property, not a threat to his person.

So despite either/both allegedly having access to handguns, and Carole allegedly twice threatening to kill him, I can see how a judge could deny a temp injunction. As JDL's atty said in T-K series, "Free speech." In many of these proceedings, at the hearing, the Petitioner is not rep'ed by atty. Appears to be true here.

And after this denial, if he had cared to, JDL could have filed request for (not-temporary, non-emergency) injunction, and been entitled to a hearing, etc. I've not read anything saying he did or did not try.
But I am not a judge (and don't play one on TV :D or even on Websleuths.:D LOL). jmo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
* Petition/form JDL completed & submitted in 1997.
** 2019 FL statute 741.30, Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Last edited:
Judge's Denial of Temp. Injunction/PO, DomVio. What Grounds?
@PatLaurel In gen, a person requesting/filing a petition for a temp. injunction/protection order must allege that circumstances show a danger, as per this FL form* page 1, paragraph (a) & statute** an "immediate and present danger of domestic violence exists and irreparable and permanent injury will probably occur in the form of violence to the petitioner, ... unless this injunction is issued without notice." bbm Note: "will probably." Then at hearing has opportunity to present evidence.
--- Before notice is served on Respondent/Carole and before hearing is held, judge decides about temporary injunction based on JDL's allegations.
-- After Resp't. is served notice/copy of petition, at a hearing scheduled within 15 days, judge decides whether to grant (longer) injunction, based on evidence Pet'ner/JDL presents, and evidence Resp't may present.

I suspect these are principal reasons for judge's denying JDL a temp. injunction:
--- JDL did not allege any prior injuries inflicted on him by Carole.
--- JDL did not allege any prior drug/alcohol abuse treatment, or prior Baker Act/involuntary commitment, or prior attempt to get injunction, for/by either him or Carole, page 2, para's (e) and (f).

--- JDL's home was also his business/work place and was caretaker for animals.
--- Much of his page 4 narrative focused on Carole's purportedly unauthorized removal of some of his personal property, not a threat to his person.

So despite either/both allegedly having access to handguns, and Carole allegedly twice threatening to kill him, I can see how a judge could deny a temp injunction. As JDL's atty said in T-K series, "Free speech." In many of these proceedings, at the hearing, the Petitioner is not rep'ed by atty. Appears to be true here.

And after this denial, if he had cared to, JDL could have filed request for (not-temporary, non-emergency) injunction, and been entitled to a hearing, etc. I've not read anything saying he did or did not try.
But I am not a judge (and don't play one on TV :D or even on Websleuths.:D LOL). jmo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
* Petition/form JDL completed & submitted in 1997.
** 2019 FL statute 741.30, Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Thanks for making it a little more clear.

And... you almost sounded like a judge!;)

I would like to know what happened to the plane? I also have to say, from looking at court records/documents on the Hillsborough County website that Mr. Lewis had many misdemeanors, and a felony or two right up until the time he "disappeared." Not saying he didn't deserve to have his concerns in regards to his wife's (Carole) threats to kill him, and although everyone is protected under the same Constitution, not everyone gets the same protection especially in an area of Good Ole Boys so to speak..sometimes Justice can be prejudice and from the charges, and there are a few, all having to do with selling exotic animals w/o permits, breeding, littering, etc. I have a feeling he might not have been seen as a victim or potential victim given the fact that he was also charged with inhumane treatment of exotic animals as well. Ironically I didn't see anymore of those types of charges or violations after converted guardianship was awarded to Carole. Do I think she likely killed him? YES jmo due to the fact that even on the very slim chance he actually wanted to disappear, and the based on the fact that he came off not wealthy to keep his money, it would be hard to believe he would just go away penniless. I also feel, depending how long it took to install septic tank, that feeding him to the cats would have been much quicker and less chance of anything coming back to haunt Carole later.

I would like to know what happened to the plane? I also have to say, from looking at court records/documents on the Hillsborough County website that Mr. Lewis had many misdemeanors, and a felony or two right up until the time he "disappeared." Not saying he didn't deserve to have his concerns in regards to his wife's (Carole) threats to kill him, and although everyone is protected under the same Constitution, not everyone gets the same protection especially in an area of Good Ole Boys so to speak..sometimes Justice can be prejudice and from the charges, and there are a few, all having to do with selling exotic animals w/o permits, breeding, littering, etc. I have a feeling he might not have been seen as a victim or potential victim given the fact that he was also charged with inhumane treatment of exotic animals as well. Ironically I didn't see anymore of those types of charges or violations after converted guardianship was awarded to Carole. Do I think she likely killed him? YES jmo due to the fact that even on the very slim chance he actually wanted to disappear, and the based on the fact that he came off not wealthy to keep his money, it would be hard to believe he would just go away penniless. I also feel, depending how long it took to install septic tank, that feeding him to the cats would have been much quicker and less chance of anything coming back to haunt Carole later.
BBM. In the restraining order request that Jay Baykal submitted, he quoted Carole as saying some human bones were found near Lazy Days RV Center and she hoped they weren't on her property or she'd be in deep .

I wonder if their property bordered the RV park and how thoroughly the grounds were searched.
I looked for old articles about human bones being found near Lazy Days but couldn't find any.

BBM. In the restraining order request that Jay Baykal submitted, he quoted Carole as saying some human bones were found near Lazy Days RV Center and she hoped they weren't on her property or she'd be in deep ****.

SBM

Cross-porting

"Dead body can not talk."
"She told me human bones were found near Lazydays RV Center, she said she hopes it's not on her property or she will be in deep ****."

Jay Baykals Order of Protection Against Carole Baskin

Carole spent a lot of money fighting to keep Don's kids from getting their dad's money but from what I've read so far she didn't offer a reward for info about his whereabouts.

I'm also wondering why she reported him missing the day after he left. If she knew he was going to Costa Rica and said he had other women, why would she automatically assume he was missing and not with his lover? That would be my first thought.

I also read an old article where she said the sun was just rising as he was leaving and she couldn't see what he was wearing but she gave a the police a description of a $1 t shirt from Kmart and jeans.

SBM

Cross-porting

"Dead body can not talk."
"She told me human bones were found near Lazydays RV Center, she said she hopes it's not on her property or she will be in deep ****."

Jay Baykals Order of Protection Against Carole Baskin
That doesn’t make sense. Big Cat Rescue is nowhere near Lazydays RV Center. Totally different parts of Tampa.

This order was denied by Richard Ake. Is that the same judge that denied her late husband’s petition? Couldn’t read the name on that one & part is blacked out. Made me wonder if the judge knows CB’s brother in LE...

Last edited:
So been reading thru this thread & watching the JE documentary & WOW. No Hollywood script writer could dream this up. Holy cow, what a preposterous cast of characters & a wild wild tale.

My 2 cents... JE was all talk & no action in killing CB. I don’t believe 3K ever changed hands. Mr. Slick watshisface & his bald henchman wanted that zoo. And I think CB offed her hub to avoid returning to the life of poverty & nothingness from which she came.

Side notes... my fam toured BCR twice while our daughter was young. Quite pricey entrance fee & very snobby vibe. But have always loved big cats. Received the newspaper she puts out for years. Wanted to return for the “night feed tour” but never did because her approach to dealing with other big cat people is so offputting- we didn’t want to fund that. I agree with some of her protection ideas, but her “big cat public safety act” is so extreme it’ll never get enough support to pass- moo.

She contradicts herself on volunteers. In the documentary- ep 1 or 2 she states she’s never paid anyone & never gets to know any of her workers till they’ve been there many years. (Who treats volunteers with such indifference & ingratitude?!) But on the website she rebuffs criticism for this by stating that she has paid staff as all nonprofits do. Very creepy, greedy, snobby, attention-seeking, back-stabbing woman imho. And her new hub is one odd duck- don’t know what his angle is, but pretty sure he has one. Again, jmo.

As for Joe, he should do his time for killing the tigers. Not sure about the breeding charges. And the murder-for-hire conviction overturned. It’ll be fascinating to see what transpires with his new partnership with PETA. Holy smokes this story has just begun.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back