Found Deceased FL - Jason Winoker 52, from Tampa, Springhill Suites, Tallahassee, 17 Aug 2021

I don’t know that we can conclude that. The quote regarding the dogs was: .. “but they haven’t been able to pick up on a solid trail.”
‘Your mind runs wild with possibilities’: Pasco Co. father of 4 goes missing after dropping daughter off at FSU | WFLA

IMO Conditions can affect whether or not trained dogs can pick up a good scent such as heat, humidity, how good the dog is at this work. I know in the P Kreycik case recently, the dogs were only able to track him a very short distance, from the car to I think the trailhead even though he did do a full run there (found deceased off trail—very sad). JMO

That is very possible. I managed to find a WCTV weather forecast for August 17 and there was rain in the forecast (random afternoon storms are very common in Florida, especially at this time of year) which might’ve made it harder for search dogs to pick up a scent.

and they are moving???? hmmmm

IMO I interpreted that to mean that they are trying to find temporary accommodations in Tallahassee while the search is ongoing. Brittany Hobart’s (who recently went missing from her apartment in the Kips Bay neighborhood of Manhattan) family organized a similar fundraising attempt to pay for hotel stays/food/etc that the family is incurring during the search. I also read the Winoker family’s *** as trying to pay for temporary relocation costs, MOO.

IMO I interpreted that to mean that they are trying to find temporary accommodations in Tallahassee while the search is ongoing. Brittany Hobart’s (who recently went missing from her apartment in the Kips Bay neighborhood of Manhattan) family organized a similar fundraising attempt to pay for hotel stays/food/etc that the family is incurring during the search. I also read the Winoker family’s *** as trying to pay for temporary relocation costs, MOO.
The family answered the moving question in the Facebook comments. Sounds like it was in progress prior to the Dad gong missing. JMO

That is very possible. I managed to find a WCTV weather forecast for August 17 and there was rain in the forecast (random afternoon storms are very common in Florida, especially at this time of year) which might’ve made it harder for search dogs to pick up a scent.
We had a tropical storm in that time frame, I attended a funeral the 16th and it rained all day.

Digging into the family finances might be beneficial. Who worked in the family before taking the daughter to college?
Why were they moving?
Whose been making the payments for the daughters school?
Most of these questions were answered in by family in the Facebook comments.

As far as college finances, I’m sure once the FAFSA form was finished, the school picked up the difference. Her grades likely earned her the FL Bright Futures grant. In state public college tuition isn’t that high. Housing & meal plans can be covered by grants and scholarships. So can books. If she chose a private college then she may have excess expenses but if they want that student bad enough, they’ll cough up money to make it happen.

Looks like a FB group has been created a couple days ago with the wife posting - Log In or Sign Up to View

ETA: her personal FB has lots of info on what has been done, etc.

This FB page is approved as a missing person group support page but her personal FB or other personal social media is not approved and is not open for discussion.

So many things I question about this case trying to make sense of it. I do find it odd that younger siblings came too if there were move in activities, orientation, etc. My vehicle was so packed full taking daughter to college, there was no room for others to ride along and typically siblings don't attend all the scheduled activities. Going off to college is a stressful and emotional event for everyone.
I'm thinking he may have walked to a 24 hour restaurant for a late night snack and ran into trouble. It's hard to believe the hotel wouldn't have working cameras or the ability to view footage. MOO

I don't think it's weird the younger siblings came. Maybe the parents didn't want to leave them at home or were trying to have a complete family vacation weekend as well. I'm sure some college students come to town with their bare essentials and then buy most of the things once actually in the college town but I don't have any kind of statistics to back that up.

I don't really want to go this direction, but I’m curious if the heavily wooded areas around the hotel have been searched? Namely the areas behind the neighborhoods (references points) on Woodrich Drive, Stevenson Drive, and Old Augustine Road that flanks the Greenwood community.

I don't really want to go this direction, but I’m curious if the heavily wooded areas around the hotel have been searched? Namely the areas behind the neighborhoods (references points) on Woodrich Drive, Stevenson Drive, and Old Augustine Road that flanks the Greenwood community.
I've informed my husband, who sees these exact places often. LE is in and out of those camps often. I'm guessing if he happened to be in the area, he would be seen.

I looked at an aerial view of Google maps and noticed the Mason lodge across the street looks like it has fallen in on itself (or maybe there was a fire) but from the street it looks like it is a normal front of a building so some may not realize it is dilapidated inside. I hope they've searched the debris in there in case something nefarious happened when he went outside.

Last edited:
Most of these questions were answered in by family in the Facebook comments.

As far as college finances, I’m sure once the FAFSA form was finished, the school picked up the difference. Her grades likely earned her the FL Bright Futures grant. In state public college tuition isn’t that high. Housing & meal plans can be covered by grants and scholarships. So can books. If she chose a private college then she may have excess expenses but if they want that student bad enough, they’ll cough up money to make it happen.

Um. No. Schools don't "pick up the difference" and they don't have to "cough up money" to make it happen.

A very few schools (mostly Ivy League) will meet all financial need without loans, but most don't. They may give a scholarship and a grant, but it usually leaves a gap between the actual cost and the expected family contribution. Some of that gap is filled with federal loans taken out through the university, but the rest is on families to figure out how to pay.

Having just gone through this with one of my kids (who got great merit scholarships, but they weren't enough) and having followed many friends and relatives going through the same expensive process, I am curious where you are getting the idea that colleges will keep throwing money at a family until a student agrees to matriculate.

Um. No. Schools don't "pick up the difference" and they don't have to "cough up money" to make it happen.

A very few schools (mostly Ivy League) will meet all financial need without loans, but most don't. They may give a scholarship and a grant, but it usually leaves a gap between the actual cost and the expected family contribution. Some of that gap is filled with federal loans taken out through the university, but the rest is on families to figure out how to pay.

Having just gone through this with one of my kids (who got great merit scholarships, but they weren't enough) and having followed many friends and relatives going through the same expensive process, I am curious where you are getting the idea that colleges will keep throwing money at a family until a student agrees to matriculate.
From my own experience with my 2 kids and helping my friends kids get thru the process. Neither of my 2 paid a thing for their Bachelor Degree. The oldest paid maybe $2,000 for her Masters Degree.

The high school guidance counselor had a very specific plan that she provided on how to get college paid for. It works. There is so much money left on the table that students don’t even try for.

My youngest is now applying to Vet school. As there are rarely scholarships or grants at that level, she’ll have to use loans. But both my kids graduated debt free. It can be done.

I didn’t see the answers to @oceanstarryeyes questions regarding finances at the Missing Jason FB page. Good questions, but we do know now that he suffers “from pretty severe depression over the past two years” (wife’s words) and had sleep issues, so getting up for a bit due to restlessness apparently was not unusual.

@Cagle, not sure if the building you are referring to is the same, but the wife wrote this: “I was concerned about the group of abandoned office buildings directly behind the hotel, and my understanding is that the police have already searched those buildings that do not have maintenance crews regularly going in and out.”

(I don’t want to get off topic to much, but @PayrollNerd, my family’s experience was more like @Occam's Zebra when it came to paying for college. We did not qualify for any financial need-based aid through fafsa. So, it was a stressful time to determine how to pay for it all. Kudos to your family for faring better, but I think for a lot of families, it is a worrying time.)

I didn’t see the answers to @oceanstarryeyes questions regarding finances at the Missing Jason FB page. Good questions, but we do know now that he suffers “from pretty severe depression over the past two years” (wife’s words) and had sleep issues, so getting up for a bit due to restlessness apparently was not unusual.

@Cagle, not sure if the building you are referring to is the same, but the wife wrote this: “I was concerned about the group of abandoned office buildings directly behind the hotel, and my understanding is that the police have already searched those buildings that do not have maintenance crews regularly going in and out.”

(I don’t want to get off topic to much, but @PayrollNerd, my family’s experience was more like @Occam's Zebra when it came to paying for college. We did not qualify for any financial need-based aid through fafsa. So, it was a stressful time to determine how to pay for it all. Kudos to your family for faring better, but I think for a lot of families, it is a worrying time.)

No, not referring to those - this one is across apalachee parkway.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brew23p
Back