GUILTY FL - Jennifer Fulford, 56, Winter Park, 27 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by Lynnieth, Sep 28, 2017.

1. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

I watched it LIVE and I didn't recall hearing an apology either. I was going to re-wind, but now I won't bother. o_O

Gardenista likes this.

2. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

UPDATE - EDIT: They went on lunch recess so I decided to re-wind. It's barely audible (had to up my speakers to 100%), but juror does say "I apologize" right after the judge said "Thank you".

IowaMom4, Elainera and Gardenista like this.
  3. helpfulcharlie

helpfulcharlie Probably not the real Chuck Finley

Jurors can't discuss their reasoning with other jurors? Or was this in casual conversation outside the jury room? I'm not quite following, I guess.

Elainera and Niner like this.
  4. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

No discussions allowed until deliberation time.

5. Ladylub

Ladylub Well-Known Member

Glad this all came out before they started deliberating. He should have never been seated on that jury as he did not fully believe in the death penalty since he had guidelines in his belief. ( needed to kill more than one person for him to consider the death penalty)

6. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

I cried during her son's VI statement. I hate SN.

IowaMom4, Niner and Ladylub like this.
  7. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

I am crying during her husband's statement and while viewing the lovely family photos.
    I don't hate SN.

IowaMom4, Elainera and Gardenista like this.
  8. Ladylub

Ladylub Well-Known Member

What was the reason the son couldn't be there? My sound was cutting in and out and I missed that part.

Gardenista likes this.
  9. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

Since I can't see any videos - what happened yesterday at the penalty phase's first day? Victim impact statement? or?

TIA! :)

10. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

Sentencing begins for Scott Nelson
    Posted Jul 01 2019 05:56PM EDT
    Video Posted Jul 01 2019 05:53PM EDT

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. (FOX 35 ORLANDO) - The family of a Winter Park woman relived their darkest day in court Monday, coming face-to-face with their loved one's killer.
    [...]
    "I will live the rest of my life without having my biggest supporter there to cheer me on and lift me up," said Fulford's daughter, Hanna Geist.

"I promise you this, she is the one who will be remembered," said her son, Austin Geist.
    [...]
    "She loved her family. She loved people. She loved the holidays. She loved animals. She loved life. She loved me. I will always love her," said Robert Fulford.
    [...]

Jurors deciding Scott Nelson’s fate hear from Jennifer Fulford’s family: ‘I will always love her'
    JUL 01, 2019 | 5:30 PM
    Jennifer Fulford planned to fly to Texas on Sept. 27, 2017 to meet her newborn granddaughter at the hospital. She never got the chance.

Austin Geist told jurors there was no worse pain than knowing his mother was murdered the same day as his daughter’s birth.
    [...]
    Assistant State Attorney Kenneth Nunnelley argued at least seven “aggravating factors” in Nelson’s case merited capital punishment, including that Fulford’s killing was especially heinous, atrocious or cruel.
    [...]
    Fulford’s family and friends described her as a loving, selfless person with a charismatic and kind energy, who would sometimes burst into song. Her daughter, Hanna Geist, described her mother as a “best friend,” who “loved in a way that made you feel like you were the only human being on the planet.”

[...]
    Adelle Wilczynski said the murder of the friend she knew as “Jenny Poppins” robbed the world of a best friend, wife, mother, grandmother and “the best nanny in the world.”

Fulford’s husband, Robert, said his wife planned to live until she was 95 and spend her days on the porch with wine watching her grandchildren play. She would often start conversations with strangers at the grocery store or buy a sandwich for someone outside who looked hungry.

[...]
    Nelson’s defense attorneys acknowledged the suffering Fulford went through and the pain her family continues to live with. But Assistant Public Defender Chelsea Simmons argued the case does not warrant the death penalty.

As a child, Nelson lived in an abusive household where his father would beat his mother, who was diagnosed with schizophrenia, as well as his two brothers, Simmons said. He started using drugs and alcohol when he was 13, which was around the same time his father and brothers left the home, leaving Nelson to care for their ill mother.

After stealing $10,000 and a car from his father, Nelson spent almost 25 years in federal prison, including 19 years in solitary confinement, Simmons said. He was also physically and sexually abused during his incarceration, according to Simmons.

Simmons said Nelson has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, bipolar disorder and is possibly on the autism spectrum, all of which affect his ability to make rational decisions.

“None of this is being offered as an excuse,” Simmons told jurors. “It’s merely meant to show his mental state. Scott’s life has been one of abandonment and isolation.”
    [...]

LadyL, Elainera and Niner like this.
  11. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

Tuesday, July 2nd:
    *Penalty Phase continue (Day 2) (@ 9am ET) - FL - Jennifer Lynn Fulford (56) (missing Sept. 27, 2017, Winter Park; found Sept. 30, 2017) - *Scott Edward Nelson (53) arrested & charged (10/1/17) & indicted (12/12/17) with 1st degree murder, kidnapping, burglary, assault & battery, (1st degree) car jacking with deadly weapon, (1st degree) robbery with firearm & (3rd degree) tampering with a witness. Plead not guilty. No bond on all counts. DP case.
    Trial started 6/10/19 with Jury selection & ended on 6/21/19. Trial started 6/24 & ended on 6/27/19. 12 jurors & 3 alternates. 7/1/19: 1 juror excused, 2 alternate left.
    Verdict after about 3 hours of deliberations on 6/28/19: GUILTY of First-degree murder with a weapon. GUILTY on all other counts. Penalty phase begins Monday morning, 7/1.

Jury selection from 6/10-21 & Trial info from 6/24/19 to 6/28/19 (Day 1-5) reference post #548 here:
    GUILTY - FL - Jennifer Fulford, 56, Winter Park, 27 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

7/1/19 Penalty Phase (Day 1): Judge speaking to juror #272. That juror sent a note about juror #218, "an allegation". A juror just reported another juror for allegedly saying he wouldn't vote for death unless Nelson killed 10 other people. Juror #218 (white male) admits this, but says he was not trying to influence anyone else on the jury. Asked whether anyone responded to his statement, he says one juror said they shouldn't be discussing it. NOTE: There are still 3 alternate jurors available. Juror #218 excused for misconduct, violating the judge's order to not discuss the case. Assistant State Attorney Kenneth Nunnelley argued at least seven “aggravating factors” in Nelson’s case merited capital punishment, including that Fulford’s killing was especially heinous, atrocious or cruel. Impact statements by: Austin Geist (son). Hanna Geist (daughter). Adelle Wilczynski (friend). Robert Fulford (husband). Nelson’s defense attorneys acknowledged the suffering Fulford went through and the pain her family continues to live with. But Assistant Public Defender Chelsea Simmons argued the case does not warrant the death penalty. Simmons said Nelson has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, bipolar disorder and is possibly on the autism spectrum, all of which affect his ability to make rational decisions. Penalty phase continues on 7/2. Court is expected Monday, 7/1, Tuesday, 7/2 and Wednesday, 7/3, followed by a break across the holiday weekend. It will likely finish up on Monday, July 8.

And yes, I shall shorten this on my next posting.

THANKS! SeesSeas for the info on yesterday's going on! :)

Alice253 likes this.
  12. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

LIVE link (with some technical problems!):
    https://lawandcrime.com/live-trials/live-trials-current/scott-nelson/watch-live-scott-nelson-sentenced-for-killing-nanny-jennifer-fulford-after-robbery/

Law & Crime Network‏Verified account @LawCrimeNetwork 4m4 minutes ago
    #ScottNelson - WATCH LIVE: Day 2 of the penalty phase in the trial of a Florida man convicted of kidnapping and killing 56-year-old Jennifer Fulford. Nelson faces the possibility of the death penalty. https://lawandcrime.com/

IowaMom4 and Niner like this.
  13. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

Monivette Cordeiro‏ @monivettec 2m2 minutes ago
    Back at the Orange County courthouse for the penalty phase of the Scott Edward Nelson trial. Nelson could be sentenced to death or life in prison w/out parole. First witness for the defense is James Nelson, Scott Nelson's older brother.

Niner likes this.
  14. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

Monivette Cordeiro‏ @monivettec 3m3 minutes ago
    Tense moment in the courtroom as state keeps objecting to parts of James Nelson's testimony about childhood. Scott Nelson says, "Shut up" to a prosecutor, then tells the judge, "I object to all these interruptions." We're on a break now

Law & Crime Network‏Verified account @LawCrimeNetwork 3m3 minutes ago
    #ScottNelson - During his brother's testimony, Scott Nelson objected. The judge instructed him that his attorneys needed to do the objecting. Trial is on hold while his attorneys talk with him.

15. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

Law & Crime Network‏Verified account @LawCrimeNetwork 57s57 seconds ago
    #ScottNelson - The prosecutor objected during James Nelson's testimony. Scott Nelson, himself, objected saying "I object to all these interruptions." When his attorney walked over to talk to him he said to her, what sounded like, "He shut mommy up."

Monivette Cordeiro‏ @monivettec 4m4 minutes ago
    Nelson is audibly arguing with his lawyer, saying "I’ve been very courteous and very kind" during the court proceedings. "We deserve the same respect."

16. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

Monivette Cordeiro‏ @monivettec 7m7 minutes ago
    James Nelson cries after testifying that a young Scott sold a car he bought while in high school to give his mother money. They were very poor after their father left their family. At 12-13, Scott Nelson became his mother's caretaker.

17. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

Elainera, IowaMom4 and Niner like this.
  18. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

19. Jewels53

Jewels53 Well-Known Member

So far I am not impressed with the defense witnesses! jmo

20. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN