GUILTY FL - Joleen Cummings, 34, Nassau Co, 12 May 2018 *ARREST*

Ex-partner of suspect in Joleen Cummings disappearance case says deceptions, lies began decades ago
They had a son together in 1998. She signed the birth certificate for their son as Christina Melissa Brook.
Holy tornado! She has some serious issues! She kept the child away from his Dad, but she told her Mom that the Dad said the son had died. No, the son is alive and 20yrs old now. She brought a gun to social services when the son was a baby and social services had taken custody of him. How scary!!!

So thankful her son is alive and was loved by his Dad and his family and they want NO contact with her or her side of the family! Kudos to them!

I guess I will add some observations and thinking out loud.

It seems that she had successfully lived under the Melissa McKernan alias for quite a long time. She seemingly had even been able to pull off a marriage license and petition a divorce in a court. I would think she would have had identification and even a birth certificate as Melissa McKernan.

So, why when giving birth does she change to a different alias? What is it that could come about that would blow her Melissa McKernan identity?

At the time of giving birth she would have already had to have had created the Christina Brook alias, including identification. Its not like you can just slap down any name you want on the birth certificate. That means she was likely registered as a patient under the Christina Brook name. But, to me, that would mean that Evan's father would have to be aware of that unless he wasn't even there for the birth of Evan. Heck, it would seem to me that she would have to have been seeing an ob/gyn under the Christina Brook alias. Wouldn't the hospital have asked who her ob/gyn was? And, in turn, wouldn't the ob/gyn have to recognize the patient name?

Something seems to be missing in all of that. Don't know what it is but it is as if we aren't quite getting the full story here either.

I am not married legally and honestly my partner would not have had any idea what I put on paperwork until he was asked to sign the affidavit of paternity and some ppl just sign and don't read.

They (news reporter) should show this interview to KK’s mom and ask her questions about that. See how she spins it now.

You can tell the Dad is very respectful, how he said this is not about him and Evan it’s about Joleen and her family.

I am not married legally and honestly my partner would not have had any idea what I put on paperwork until he was asked to sign the affidavit of paternity and some ppl just sign and don't read.
I was actually aiming at the hospital where she gave birth. She would have to be admitted under a name. They would ask for identification, insurance, and what not. There would be a name on her wrist-band. So, it isn't as if she could write in another name - at least I wouldn't think that hospitals are that lax - for the record to be sent to vital records for the State of Virginia.

It is hard to tell just when he became aware of the Christina Brook alias from the way the story is written. But if he was at the hospital what name were the nurses using when talking to Kimberly? Was it Melissa or Christina? If he was there then he would know. And if it was Christina then he would have had to have known that she was using that name.

It makes me wonder what name he filed against when he went for custody and terminating her rights. It also makes me wonder if the ex-husband in Arizona found out and that second court case in 2001 which looks for all the world like a divorce might be something different. That is, the ex-husband might have gone back to court because he was never really married to a Melissa McKernan and he was getting that divorce decree unwrangled. It is more of a curiosity in the sense that I want to know if her false identities were actually getting unwound in some courts with those aliases completely unusable to her.

But the main puzzle I can't understand is why she didn't just use Melissa McKernan on the birth certificate. She had been successfully using that alias for more than 5 years by then and already through two life events - marriage and divorce - with it. What difference could it have made? It seems it was important enough to change who she was but I will be damned if I can figure out why it would be necessary.

Holy tornado! She has some serious issues! She kept the child away from his Dad, but she told her Mom that the Dad said the son had died. No, the son is alive and 20yrs old now. She brought a gun to social services when the son was a baby and social services had taken custody of him. How scary!!!

So thankful her son is alive and was loved by his Dad and his family and they want NO contact with her or her side of the family! Kudos to them!

she also told her mom she was hiding from the dad, and the dad she was hiding from her mom. and her mom tells ppl the kid was born in 2004, but he was born in 98. she says shes never seen the kid and the dad said mom did see the kid.

In my state, the mother fills out the form in the hospital and the father does not have to sign or even see it. I was also not required to list a father’s name at all. (I did put my husband’s name on there, but it was not required.)

I was actually aiming at the hospital where she gave birth. She would have to be admitted under a name. They would ask for identification, insurance, and what not. There would be a name on her wrist-band. So, it isn't as if she could write in another name - at least I wouldn't think that hospitals are that lax - for the record to be sent to vital records for the State of Virginia.

It is hard to tell just when he became aware of the Christina Brook alias from the way the story is written. But if he was at the hospital what name were the nurses using when talking to Kimberly? Was it Melissa or Christina? If he was there then he would know. And if it was Christina then he would have had to have known that she was using that name.

It makes me wonder what name he filed against when he went for custody and terminating her rights. It also makes me wonder if the ex-husband in Arizona found out and that second court case in 2001 which looks for all the world like a divorce might be something different. That is, the ex-husband might have gone back to court because he was never really married to a Melissa McKernan and he was getting that divorce decree unwrangled. It is more of a curiosity in the sense that I want to know if her false identities were actually getting unwound in some courts with those aliases completely unusable to her.

But the main puzzle I can't understand is why she didn't just use Melissa McKernan on the birth certificate. She had been successfully using that alias for more than 5 years by then and already through two life events - marriage and divorce - with it. What difference could it have made? It seems it was important enough to change who she was but I will be damned if I can figure out why it would be necessary.

Do we know for certain she gave birth in a hospital? She could have given birth at home without assistance or used a mid-wife. If she used a midwife for a home birth, then the midwife usually sends in the paperwork for the birth certificate (although this may vary from state to state). I wonder if it could be something as simple and stupid as she thought she could get away with not paying the midwife by using an alias? Maybe she also thought there would be no record of the baby being born if she didn't use a hospital? Maybe she wasn't aware midwives file birth records? IDK. The only other explanation I can think of is she used a new name on the birth certificate because she was planning her next identity and was going to disappear with Evan. Perhaps she didn't expect Evan's father to find out about the name on the BC and that (plus social services stepping in) ruined her plans...

In my state, the mother fills out the form in the hospital and the father does not have to sign or even see it. I was also not required to list a father’s name at all. (I did put my husband’s name on there, but it was not required.)

And keep in mind it was 20 years ago, so things were probably even more lax back then.

Do we know for certain she gave birth in a hospital? She could have given birth at home without assistance or used a mid-wife. If she used a midwife for a home birth, then the midwife usually sends in the paperwork for the birth certificate (although this may vary from state to state). I wonder if it could be something as simple and stupid as she thought she could get away with not paying the midwife by using an alias? Maybe she also thought there would be no record of the baby being born if she didn't use a hospital? Maybe she wasn't aware midwives file birth records? IDK. The only other explanation I can think of is she used a new name on the birth certificate because she was planning her next identity and was going to disappear with Evan. Perhaps she didn't expect Evan's father to find out about the name on the BC and that (plus social services stepping in) ruined her plans...
If I follow the news story, which doesn't tell it in order, Kimberly had an explanation for using a different name - not wanting her mother to find her - but her mother found them anyway. So it seems he was aware of the Christina Brook name prior to her taking off with Evan. Which, to me, means he already knew what name she put down for herself on the birth certificate. We know from the story that his name went on the birth certificate.

We also know that at the time she was arrested she had to have a photo ID or drivers license that had the name of Christina Brook. Law enforcement doesn't just take any name and date of birth and say "okie doke!". She was released on her own recognizance and that wouldn't have happened unless law enforcement ID'ed her. So it would be helpful to know when she obtained that photo ID or drivers license.

As I mentioned before, when her mother did show up what name did she call Kimberly? That doesn't get mentioned in the story but it would be useful to know. I don't think she only used personal pronouns like she or her. If her mother called her anything but Melissa I would think Evan's father would be either confused or angry. So, in all of this, I can't help but think he knew that Melissa McKernan wasn't her name either at the time her mother shows up.

And thus, I don't think the Christina Brook persona was set up in order to take off with Evan because that persona was already known. It is possible it was something as simple as trying to avoid paying someone. Usually people involved with a birth want to get paid so they make sure they have identification and/or insurance of some kind (including Medicaid) under the same name. So that would mean that she might have set up the persona to carry out welfare fraud. But if that doesn't apply, I don't understand the motivation for the creation of Christina Brook since Melissa McKernan was still viable. I am trying to understand the motives and impetus for changing to a new persona. Encounters with law enforcement is probably the most likely cause. But seemingly there are others.

In the end she bolted from Virginia Beach in short order leaving her child behind and never looked back. She was running from something or she is a nut job.

Re the second divorce case, they do publication when the defendants whereabouts are unknown. See notice below.

Arizona Public Notice
Thanks. It would be great to be able to get a hold of some records of the case. It isn't clear if that is actually a second divorce - which would imply they remarried at some point after 1995. The only way we can learn that is if we could obtain a record of the marriage license filing. I don't know how to obtain that in Arizona, if it can even be obtained without being one of the two that filed to get married.

If I follow the news story, which doesn't tell it in order, Kimberly had an explanation for using a different name - not wanting her mother to find her - but her mother found them anyway. So it seems he was aware of the Christina Brook name prior to her taking off with Evan. Which, to me, means he already knew what name she put down for herself on the birth certificate. We know from the story that his name went on the birth certificate.

We also know that at the time she was arrested she had to have a photo ID or drivers license that had the name of Christina Brook. Law enforcement doesn't just take any name and date of birth and say "okie doke!". She was released on her own recognizance and that wouldn't have happened unless law enforcement ID'ed her. So it would be helpful to know when she obtained that photo ID or drivers license.

As I mentioned before, when her mother did show up what name did she call Kimberly? That doesn't get mentioned in the story but it would be useful to know. I don't think she only used personal pronouns like she or her. If her mother called her anything but Melissa I would think Evan's father would be either confused or angry. So, in all of this, I can't help but think he knew that Melissa McKernan wasn't her name either at the time her mother shows up.

And thus, I don't think the Christina Brook persona was set up in order to take off with Evan because that persona was already known. It is possible it was something as simple as trying to avoid paying someone. Usually people involved with a birth want to get paid so they make sure they have identification and/or insurance of some kind (including Medicaid) under the same name. So that would mean that she might have set up the persona to carry out welfare fraud. But if that doesn't apply, I don't understand the motivation for the creation of Christina Brook since Melissa McKernan was still viable. I am trying to understand the motives and impetus for changing to a new persona. Encounters with law enforcement is probably the most likely cause. But seemingly there are others.

In the end she bolted from Virginia Beach in short order leaving her child behind and never looked back. She was running from something or she is a nut job.

Didn’t the birth and arrest happen before 9/11 when things weren’t as strict? Fwiw, dad may not have know about her alias on the BC until he had to obtain the sons BC for some reason (school, sports, etc). She already claimed to be hiding from her mom so it probably wasn’t that big of a red flag to him.

I personally don’t think she had all of the aliases bc she was avoiding financial responsibilities. I think she was either running from the law, or she is mentally ill. Or both.

Didn’t the birth and arrest happen before 9/11 when things weren’t as strict? Fwiw, dad may not have know about her alias on the BC until he had to obtain the sons BC for some reason (school, sports, etc). She already claimed to be hiding from her mom so it probably wasn’t that big of a red flag to him.

I personally don’t think she had all of the aliases bc she was avoiding financial responsibilities. I think she was either running from the law, or she is mentally ill. Or both.
If I followed the story correctly, after the CPS incident and her arrest, he went to court to get custody and terminate her rights. So, he would have known much earlier. But as I said, if I understand the story the way, he describes knowing about the name even before that because in order for her to explain she used Christina Brook was to hide from her mother it would have had to have happened prior to Kimberly taking off with Evan. Keep in mind that he knew Kimberly as Melissa McKernan and it isn't clear when he learned that wasn't her real name either.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back