GUILTY FL - Jordan Davis, 17, shot to death, Satellite Beach, 23 Nov 2012 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, I think bias played a role. There are so many MSM reports of crime, that is almost fear mongering to those whose daily lives are outside the "fringe". For some of these jurors, the fact that there were 4 black youths, playing loud rap music, JD mouthing off, in a tinted SUV, may have been enough to sway them towards NG. They may have put themselves in MD shoes and thought that they would be afraid if JD was saying "I am gonna kill you MF".

Where theses jurors, if any, stopped their rationalization was with what a prudent, responsible, reasonable adult would do. That adult would have moved his car. And not pulled out a gun and shot bullets into a car.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Dunn was treated with indifference at his son's wedding as he was not an integral part of his son's life. I think this made MD furious and unfortunately, JD was the recipient of that anger. JMV

Completely concur. He left his son's wedding way early, to go to the hotel and keep drinking. Seriously dude? Your SON is getting married and you take off? Keeping it classy, MD.

Do we know if the fiancée is still with him?

does anyone remember if the prosecution ever specifically gave the famous "if you dont think a witness is credible you can choose to discount parts or their entire testimony" argument/instruction?

if it was appropriate for them to say in this case i certainly didnt hear it enough, so im wondering if it was ever said.

its something i feel like i would have relied on if i was on this jury. (again, provided it was appropriate here given the circumstances, but im not sure why it wouldnt be)

I thought about Dunn's father and the liquefying of assets to pay for a legal defense. According to the phone calls with Dunn's father, his plane was sold. MD did not want to part with his Jetta. I had to lol at that one.

If I were in Dunn's shoes, I would roll the dice with a public defender. I would never think of causing my family hardship by forcing them to liquefy their assets. If it was one of my children that needed a top notch defense attorney, I would sell my $100K horse in a blink of an eye and sell my house, car and the clothes off my back.

IMO Dunn's father was willing to help him as much as he could, but I doubt strongly he sold his businesses, planes and house to do so. JMO, IMO, JMV

Unfortunately, I think bias played a role. There are so many MSM reports of crime, that is almost fear mongering to those whose daily lives are outside the "fringe". For some of these jurors, the fact that there were 4 black youths, playing loud rap music, JD mouthing off, in a tinted SUV, may have been enough to sway them towards NG. They may have put themselves in MD shoes and thought that they would be afraid if JD was saying "I am gonna kill you MF".

Where theses jurors, if any, stopped their rationalization was with what a prudent, responsible, reasonable adult would do. That adult would have moved his car. And not pulled out a gun and shot bullets into a car.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Dunn was treated with indifference at his son's wedding as he was not an integral part of his son's life. I think this made MD furious and unfortunately, JD was the recipient of that anger. JMV

BBM

Spot on. I think people he met probably asked who he was and when he said Chris' father he got confused looks, especially from the brides family, I'd think. He only stayed three hours and left. I don't know what the bride's family had been told about him by Chris, but I'm sure there were questions about his father from them, at one time. Who knows what his answer was.

The smart thing in Dunn's case is to keep his lawyer for the next trial. He was good imo and he knows the case's strengths and weaknesses. Will his family put out the money tho? Most defendants lose in a retrial and I expect this one to be no different.

If I was on the jury and the mistrial was over the level of murder, and not G/NG, I would at least release a statement so CNN and others will stop commenting about 1 or more jurors believing JD had a gun. jmo

I have been on a jury before.

Popsicle..agree jury should at least give some sort of statement to media...i believe something will come today or tomorrow. As to the retrial..agree doubt anyone could do better than Strolla but his comment after the trial "of course I may not be the counsel if it is retried" may have just been the professional thing to say since he was not retained but knowing in his own mind it will be a loser and his client facing 60 years here...he might want to move out.

Completely concur. He left his son's wedding way early, to go to the hotel and keep drinking. Seriously dude? Your SON is getting married and you take off? Keeping it classy, MD.

He did not even know his son...he was uncomfortable at the wedding and took off as soon as he could. Probably in a stressed mood, was drinking and then the " music"...only thing a guy could do is shoot. Stand your ground!!

His website donations are probably too large to plead for a public defender. What can the family do with the leftover money?

I think by the end of the week some juror is not going to be able to resist the temptation to get a free trip to New York...nice hotel...meals etc. and will be on some show...I also believe they get paid for this...no question at least one will talk but probably will only be one that wanted guilty of m1 or m2.

I thought about Dunn's father and the liquefying of assets to pay for a legal defense. According to the phone calls with Dunn's father, his plane was sold. MD did not want to part with his Jetta. I had to lol at that one.

If I were in Dunn's shoes, I would roll the dice with a public defender. I would never think of causing my family hardship by forcing them to liquefy their assets. If it was one of my children that needed a top notch defense attorney, I would sell my $100K horse in a blink of an eye and sell my house, car and the clothes off my back.

IMO Dunn's father was willing to help him as much as he could, but I doubt strongly he sold his businesses, planes and house to do so. JMO, IMO, JMV

Just my impression, but I'm guessing they were supporting MD most of his life. I wonder what kind of work ethic he had at the family business? I wonder how many times his parents had to bail him out of financial messes with ex-wives, child support, generally stupid spending, etc. MD reminds me of a kid who was given everything his entire life and had a huge sense of entitlement.

Just my impression, but I'm guessing they were supporting MD most of his life. I wonder what kind of work ethic he had at the family business? I wonder how many times his parents had to bail him out of financial messes with ex-wives, child support, generally stupid spending, etc. MD reminds me of a kid who was given everything his entire life and had a huge sense of entitlement.

I'm ashamed to say I own an HP computer after finding out he wrote software for it. :banghead:

I feel really bad for the son (and his wife and family). Your deadbeat Dad makes a drunk appearance at your wedding, leaves early (to a collective sigh of relief I suspect) then goes straight on to KILL SOMEBODY.

Now that's a part of his wedding memory and every anniversary for the duration.

So many casualties in the ripple effect. Of course the vast majority being in the Davis camp.

I call MD reaction to JD displaced anger. MD was relegated to a table with his ex wife's brother, not at the main table with the immediate family. RR and MD both testified that they didn't talk to many people at the wedding. Outsiders. Guests. Acquaintances. Only invited as a courtesy because he was the biological father. Result= Shame, anger, outrage at being treated this way.

I think RR has been the recipient of MD anger. She struck me as a victim of abuse. I think she was emotional on the stand because she did not want to incur MD wrath. Character witnesses testified that MD was a peaceful man. MD projected an image that he wanted people to see, not necessarily who he really was. IMO

I call MD reaction to JD displaced anger. MD was relegated to a table with his ex wife's brother, not at the main table with the immediate family. RR and MD both testified that they didn't talk to many people at the wedding. Outsiders. Guests. Acquaintances. Only invited as a courtesy because he was the biological father. Result= Shame, anger, outrage at being treated this way.

I think RR has been the recipient of MD anger. She struck me as a victim of abuse. I think she was emotional on the stand because she did not want to incur MD wrath. Character witnesses testified that MD was a peaceful man. MD projected an image that he wanted people to see, not necessarily who he really was. IMO

I wonder just how long she will stand by her man. With some good therapy and distance I suspect she will wake up to the horror that was this chapter of her life.

His website donations are probably too large to plead for a public defender. What can the family do with the leftover money?

He tried to get RR to use that money to pay his non legal bills in 2013. She told him his mom had said they couldn't do that IIRC from the jail phone call.

One of the things that struck me on the jail house phone call with his parents was how cold his mom seemed on the phone. She was not a warm fuzzy and his reaction to her was interesting by the way of tone. He was much warmer with his dad.
IMOO

Katiecoolady, cloud you mind sharing your observations of Dunn's behavior? I jumped off your comments in the last thread. Giving credit to where credit is due!

im not really criticizing Guy here because i dont feel like i have the legal knowledge to do so, im just stating my opinion on what i liked or didnt like, take it from a potential juror's perspective i guess;

i did not like it at all when he said (para but very close) "we are not looking for lesser included's here, this is first degree murder" - i believe this was during closing. i would bet a fair sum that he will not say those words in the retrial.

my reason for this is that because even tho i fully believe this was 1st degree murder, i can put together a reasonable argument why it should be 2nd degree (manslaughter i dont think really fits).

so while i might not agree with it, i think a reasonable person can (and probably did) look at the facts of this case and feel that 2nd degree was the most appropriate charge.

I also am not that impressed with Guy's performance in this case or Zimmerman's, personally. His comment about not looking for lesser included... the defense argued to keep out the lesser included and the state wanted them in. I feel AC did a really good job and to be honest, I was surprised from the first witness she handled.

I feel really bad for the son (and his wife and family). Your deadbeat Dad makes a drunk appearance at your wedding, leaves early (to a collective sigh of relief I suspect) then goes straight on to KILL SOMEBODY.

Now that's a part of his wedding memory and every anniversary for the duration.

So many casualties in the ripple effect. Of course the vast majority being in the Davis camp.

Yes agree and on top of that he is called as a "character" witness for a man he does not even know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni