Found Alive FL - Kamiyah Mobley, newborn, Jacksonville, 10 July 1998 *guilty*

Court rejects Kamiyah Mobley kidnapper's appeal

Florida’s 1st District Court of Appeal affirms kidnapper Gloria Williams’ 18-year sentence in newborn Kamiyah Mobley’s abduction from a Jacksonville hospital.

Florida’s 1st District Court of Appeal affirmed a lower court’s ruling when confessed kidnapper Gloria Williams was sentenced to 18 years in prison for abducting newborn Kamiyah Mobley from a Jacksonville hospital and raising her as her own daughter in South Carolina for 18 years.

From the article you posted ,it says it's a fictionalized account. I don't think we can count on anything in there being actually how it happened, if it's fictionalized. JMHO.
Quote here. (Roberts stepped behind the camera as a producer to help bring the ripped-from-the-headlines story of Kamiyah Mobley’s kidnapping to the screen. This fictionalized account stars Nicey Nash as Gloria Williams, who stole newborn Mobley from the hospital on July 10, 1998.

There are two new shows. One is "stolen by my mother: the kamiyah Mobley story" which is a dramatic account, and is 90 minutes long. The second one is a 45 minute documentary "beyond the headlines: the kamiyah Mobley story with Robin Roberts".

The docudrama had a disclaimer at the beginning that some names were changed and some characters were combined, but 95% of it seemed spot-on. The documentary which I just finished watching also had some new updated information. These are my notes. Unfortunately, I lost my notes on the docudrama because I forgot to save them.

-She goes by Alexis in South Carolina and kamiya in Florida
- her lawyer said she put Daggers (fingernails) in his leg when bio mom yelled in court "I am your mother", and that she wanted death for Gloria
- I can't recall who said it, I think the bio dad said that the bio mother "She's never healed, she's still has the anger of that 16 year old" ( referring to the age the bio mother was when she gave birth)
-Daughter says it's a roller coaster with bio mom and she thinks the reason is because whenever she sees her, she sees Gloria in her.
- The biological father says bio mom.. she can't get over her calling Gloria "mother"
-Nothing ever mentioned about the second husband who was her father figure/Gloria's husband at the time of her arrest.
-At this time, she is planning on possibly moving down to Florida to be near her family, but it looks like the family consists of her siblings that she gets along with that live down there, and her father that is her biological father.
-When Robin asked him how he felt about her potentially visiting her in jail, he said as a victim I don't agree with it but as a father I understand it and I need to let her make her own choices.
-She has recently gone to the Sheriff's office to pick up her photographs in her graduation documents Etc. - photo below is screenshot
-Since she was considered a victim of the crime, there are more hurdles for her to see her mother in person although they talk on the phone and do video conferences regularly. She is interviewed immediately prior and after seeing Gloria in jail
-She said her biological father has been very helpful and he is very easygoing.
-She tries to please everybody and she pleases most of the people, ( I think she was referring to her biological mother who is the exception.)
- she did not go to the sentencing because she did not want to take sides
- bio mother was not interviewed at all, but her lawyer, bio siblings and bio father was, and also the aunt and grandmother and other relatives in South Carolina.20200124_040951.jpg

Question I have for you guys, was there a settlement with the hospital on this? I've not seen such and was wondering to whom the settlement went to, and how much it was for. Many times that's private but I would think we would know something but I did not see it when I just looked quickly at the threads.

Last edited:
I found some information from three years ago on a settlement. Published: 01/22/17

Court documents show Kamiyah Mobley was entitled to over $300K until July 2016

University Hospital settled all claims for negligence and failed security for 1.9 million dollars. But the June 2000 settlement documents came with a special provision.

The agreement says that 1.2 million dollars was paid to Kamiyah's birth mother, Shanara Mobley, and her attorneys. A remaining $725,000 was put into an annuity to pay Shanara approximately $3,000 a month for the rest of her life.

But there was also money put aside for Kamiyah. $307,000 was to be used to purchase a fund on behalf of Kamiyah Mobley. These funds were to be paid to her if she is located alive and properly identified through DNA tests by July 10, 2016-- Kamiyah's 18th birthday. If not, the funds were to be paid to Shanara Mobley directly.

But nine years later, financial hardship would cause Shanara to sell her future rights to 120 monthly payments from the million dollar settlement to another person. She sold this is exchange for an upfront lump sum settlement.

http://media.news4jax.com/document_...y settlement_1484846635549_8831024_ver1.0.pdf

In 2002, Shanara Mobley (at age 20) sold about half of her remaining settlement amount to a third party, Deborah H. Miller, in order to obtain a lump-sum payout of $437,000.

Last edited:
Such a tough case. I am grateful that this woman treated her well and she wasn’t subject to abuse of any kind. And I even understand, as much as I can, how this must feel to Kamiyah. But Gloria took something from the north parents that they can never get back. It’s just heartbreaking.

Such a tough case. I am grateful that this woman treated her well and she wasn’t subject to abuse of any kind. And I even understand, as much as I can, how this must feel to Kamiyah. But Gloria took something from the north parents that they can never get back. It’s just heartbreaking.
I think that's something that she will realize when she has children of her own. (Like having children prompts reunification or realization that you can no longer tolerate behaviors from family members) She will understand one day when she looks at her own child.

My heart breaks for Shanara.

My heart breaks for all three women. Kamiyah is indeed fortunate that GLoria took good care of here and raised a resilient woman.

Just this winter I managed to tell my 27 year old that I had a prior miscarriage.

The months afterward were awful. Each & every time I went to the grocery store -- there was a woman there who was showing as much as I would have been.

Now of course I didn't pick up anyone else's newborn & walk away.

Gloria's heart was broken, but her choice was wrong.

jmho ymmv lrr

My heart breaks for all three women. Kamiyah is indeed fortunate that GLoria took good care of here and raised a resilient woman.

Gloria's heart was broken, but her choice was wrong.

jmho ymmv lrr

I respectfully disagree. It doesn’t matter that Kamiyah was treated well. She was kidnapped by a severely mentally ill woman who literally stole her from her mother’s arms. Kamiyah is NOT resilient. She is a severely traumatized young woman with Stockholm Syndrome. I watched her episode on Iyanla’s Fix My Life and she went from smiling to a fit of rage in 5 seconds. She had so much anger she was physically held back after threatening Iyanla and her crew and left treatment the first day. That woman destroyed Kamiyah and her biological mother. IMO, she should have a longer prison sentence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back