GUILTY FL - Linda Patterson Slaten, 31, murdered, Lakeland, 4 Sept 1981 *Arrest*

Was it your profile that led them to Mills? I'm not expecting a reply, so don't feel you have to answer. I appreciate this is kind of personal. You may not even know.

So glad genetic genealogy has introduced some nice new family into your life and you're also advocating for how it can solve crimes.
LE didn’t contact me or my friend that is helping me with Ancestry. I have a public tree with about 150 people on my account. My friend is building me a private but searchable tree on her account.

It is quite coincidental that I tested in June, and FDLE picked up the speed of this case at that time.

LE didn’t contact me or my friend that is helping me with Ancestry. I have a public tree with about 150 people on my account. My friend is building me a private but searchable tree on her account.

It is quite coincidental that I tested in June, and FDLE picked up the speed of this case at that time.
Thanks for sharing.

PayrollNerd said:
Well, well, well. I did my DNA with 23andMe in May and with Ancestry in June. I was trying to figure out who I was and find a brother that was adopted out. So, I uploaded my data to GEDmatch, ftDNA and MyHeritage.

Good news: I found out who my Dad was (deceased). His family has been great. I found my brother too. Great guy.

Bad news: This piece of S*%$*# perp descends from my maternal grandfather’s side. He is a year older than me. Holy Sick Relative Batman!!!

Moral of the story: Upload your DNA and get these creeps off the street please!!!

WOW!
animated-smileys-christmas-024.gif
So I'm guessing you'll be following this case closely!
animated-smileys-christmas-044.gif

I've been thinking of doing that too - have my DNA analysized!

Calling on @Suglo or @Legally Bland - I have you 2 as go to Polk County - which for some reasons I have not been able to access anymore.....

Case #2019-052697 DOB 1/12/61

TIA!
animated-smileys-christmas-033.gif

edited to add: from my notes:
12/12/19 Update: Taken into custody for outstanding Polk County warrant for 2 counts of perjury. Grand jury indicted on 12/12/19.

WOW!

Calling on @Suglo or @Legally Bland - I have you 2 as go to Polk County - which for some reasons I have not been able to access anymore.....

TIA!

12/12/19 Update: Taken into custody for outstanding Polk County warrant for 2 counts of perjury. Grand jury indicted on 12/12/19.
For certain and after Christmas, I’ll see if I can get on the FL county websites too for info.

The company released a report in June supporting the case that Joseph Mills was a likely suspect, saying genetic connections were found to both sides of his family tree, the newspaper said.
Detectives started monitoring his residence to collect DNA using cotton swabs, adhesive patches, colostomy bags and a plastic spoon. Authorities also found that fingerprints taken from Slaten's window were a match to Mills' prints taken after an unrelated arrest in 1984.

New DNA testing in 1981 murder leads Florida police to coach

Here's what I have for my notes so far...

FL – Linda Patterson Slaten (31) (Sept. 4, 1982, Lakeland) - *Joseph Clinton Mills (58/21 @ time of crime) arrested (12/12/19), charged & indicted (12/16/19) with 1st degree murder, 3rd degree sexual assault with deadly weapon, 1st degree burglary with assault & battery & 2 counts of perjury/false statements to LE. $500K Cash or Surety Bond.
Polk County #2019-052697 DOB 1/12/61
Parabon Nanolabs DNA match thru genetic genealogy in June, 2019. Mills' fingerprints were found on a window, when the killer apparently entered the apartment through an unlocked window that was missing its screen. Was youth football coach to one of Linda’s sons.

I reviewed the timing of my DNA upload (May 26th) versus when Parabon published their conclusion (June 5th). It was within days.

It is possible my file upload, which took about 24 hours, was available just prior to their results being published. By then, FDLE’s genealogy team would have had already built out the Mills tree. I was maybe a confirmation / rule out because my Gpa Mills only had 2 daughters and 1 sister.

WOW!

TIA!

@Niner Good morning. He has an arraignment on 12/31/19 at 8:15 am at the Bartow Main Courtroom. That’s all I can see on calendar for now.

I'm also adopted. I found my birth mother pre internet. But still having issues finding birth father. I opted in on 23 and GED. I feel exactly the same way. So long creeps!

@Niner Good morning. He has an arraignment on 12/31/19 at 8:15 am at the Bartow Main Courtroom. That’s all I can see on calendar for now.

Thanks a bunch Suglo!
and
animated-smileys-christmas-211.gif
and a BIG THANKS for all your help this year!
animated-smileys-christmas-166.gif

I'm also adopted. I found my birth mother pre internet. But still having issues finding birth father. I opted in on 23 and GED. I feel exactly the same way. So long creeps!

I found my daughter that I had to put up for adoption back in 1969 - first contact 2007, and just this past May - she finally contacted me back! :D Will be meeting her next Spring when she visits me here!
animated-smileys-christmas-047.gif

Thanks a bunch Suglo!
and

I found my daughter that I had to put up for adoption back in 1969 - first contact 2007, and just this past May - she finally contacted me back! :D Will be meeting her next Spring when she visits me here!
That's great! My mother had passed two months before I put the puzzle together. I'm happy you get the opportunity to connect.

Thanks a bunch Suglo!
and

Merry Christmas! I’m so glad you will get to meet your daughter soon :)

Tuesday, December 31st:
*Arraignment Hearing (@ 8:15am ET) - FL – Linda Patterson Slaten (31) (Sept. 4, 1982, Lakeland) - *Joseph Clinton Mills (58/21 @ time of crime) arrested (12/12/19), charged & indicted (12/16/19) with 1st degree murder, 3rd degree sexual assault with deadly weapon, 1st degree burglary with assault & battery & 2 counts of perjury/false statements to LE. $500K Cash or Surety Bond.
Parabon Nanolabs DNA match thru genetic genealogy in June, 2019. Mills' fingerprints were found on a window, when the killer apparently entered the apartment through an unlocked window that was missing its screen. Was youth football coach to one of Linda’s sons.
12/12/19 Update: Taken into custody for outstanding Polk County warrant for 2 counts of perjury. Grand jury indicted on 12/12/19. Arraignment hearing on 12/31.

Posted 12/19/2019
Extreme Murder and Headlines

Posted Dec 18, 2019 https://www.newschief.com/…/lakeland-police-make-arrest-in-…

LAKELAND — More than 38 years and three months after a Lakeland woman was found dead inside her apartment, a suspect has been arrested and charged with first-degree murder.

Joseph Clinton Mills, 58, of 12013 Bailey Road, Lakeland, was arrested by Lakeland Police Department detectives on Dec. 12 and charged with the murder and sexual battery of 31-year-old Linda Patterson Slaten. Mills would have been 20 years old at the time of her death.

New DNA technology offered by Parabon Nanolabs matched Mills’ DNA through a genetic genealogy report in June, according to a police report.

LPD detectives were called in November 2018 by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement in Orlando and asked if they wanted to send DNA from the Slaten cold case murder for further testing.

In December 2018, the DNA was sent to Parabon for testing. The resulting report indicated that the person who most likely killed Slaten was Joseph Mills, according to an arrest affidavit filed last week with the Polk County Clerk of Courts.

Timeline of events

A timeline highlighted in court records shows that on Sept. 4, 1981, at approximately 8:35 a.m., Lakeland police officers were called to 303 Brunnell Parkway, Apt. #31. The caller was John Allen, a maintenance worker for the Lakeland Housing Authority, who was alerted by Slaten’s sister, Judy Butler.

Butler told police she had walked to her sister’s apartment to see if she wanted to meet for coffee, and when Slaten didn’t answer the door, she said she started to walk back to her apartment.
As she did so, she noticed that the screen from her sister’s bedroom window was missing. When she looked through the opening, Butler saw her sister lying on the bed with what appeared to be a wire hanger around her neck.

When officers arrived, they found Slaten’s body — strangled to death with the hanger. Her dress was pulled down from the top, and up from the bottom, exposing her female body parts. Her underwear and shoes were on the rug below her feet, and detectives say she was bleeding from her vagina.

Although there didn’t appear to be any signs of struggle in the bedroom or on the bed, the south-most window was not locked and the screen was removed.

According to reports, her children, Jeffery Slaten, 15 at the time, and Timothy Slaten, then 12 years old, were sleeping.
During an interview with detectives, Jeffery said the family had moved into the apartment about two weeks prior to his mother’s death.

Slaten’s body was taken to Lakeland General Hospital, where the autopsy and sexual assault kit were completed by Assistant Medical Examiner Dr. Ramsey. During the pathological examination, Ramsey collected vaginal swabs and sperm from her body cavity, according to authorities.
In 1981, FDLE authorities could not find a DNA match in any established law enforcement databases to the swabs collected during the autopsy.

Children’s recollection

Slaten’s children shared similar timelines with police. Jeffery said that the day of his mother’s death, he had arrived home from football practice after school and was hungry, but there wasn’t much food in the house.

Around 5:30 p.m., he left the apartment and rode his bike to his grandparents’ house. They brought him back home around 9:30 p.m. and found that nobody was there.

Around 10 p.m., Slaten came home to tell her son that she was at the next-door apartment with his brother, Timothy, playing cards.

At about 11 p.m., Timothy and his mother returned home. And at midnight, she was washing dishes while her son went to bed.

Jeffery told police that the last time he saw his mother was when she went to her bedroom.

He turned off the television shortly after midnight and fell asleep. He told police he didn’t hear anything during the night.
Timothy told detectives on the day his mother was killed he was picked up by his football coach, known to him as “Joe,” and taken to practice at Winston Elementary.

Around 8-8:30 p.m., the coach brought Timothy back to the apartment. He ate dinner and went next door with his mother to play cards with the neighbors.

Around 11-11:30 p.m., Timothy said he and his mom went home, and he saw his brother Jeffery in the living room watching TV. He went into his bedroom in the northwest corner of the apartment and went to sleep, and said he didn’t hear anything during the night.

Three days later, police identified the coach as Joseph Clinton Mills.

Mills, employed by the Publix Dairy Warehouse, was a coach for the Lakeland Volunteers football program and said he only met Slaten once. He told police that on Sept. 1, 1981, he took Timothy home from football practice because Timothy didn’t have a ride home that night. He said he didn’t get out of his car and didn’t speak to Slaten that night.

On Sept. 3, one day before Slaten’s murder, at around 5:50 p.m., he said he picked up Timothy for football practice and dropped him back off at the apartment around 8:30 p.m. While he was dropping off Timothy, he claimed that Slaten walked out to his car and thanked him for bringing Timothy home. Mills told police he left and hadn’t returned to the apartment since that night.

DNA technology finds connection

On Nov. 20, 2018, LPD Detective Tammy Hathcock was contacted by Lori Napolitano from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement in Orlando. Napolitano said she was calling law enforcement agencies regarding a new DNA technology being used. She wanted to know if the Lakeland Police Department was interested in submitting DNA collected from the Slaten murder case to Parabon Nanolabs for further testing. Parabon is a testing company that uses genetic genealogy to help with locating possible matches to DNA recovered from crime scenes.

On Dec. 4, 2018, the LPD sent the DNA from the Slaten homicide to Parabon for further testing.

On June 5 this year, Parabon released its report, hypothesizing that the person who killed Slaten was most likely Joseph Mills.

“Joseph should be strongly considered due to the fact genetic connections were found to both sides of his family tree, and he was living in close proximity to the scene of the crime in 1981,” read the report.

Mills currently resides at 12013 Bailey Road, Lakeland, and on July 29 the LPD started monitoring trash collected from 12013, 12011 and 12007 Bailey Road for the purpose of obtaining DNA from Mills. Once the trash was collected, the Lakeland Police Crime Lab sent the items to be processed by FDLE, including two cotton swabs, two adhesive patches to colostomy bags and a plastic spoon.

Detectives found that a 2013 Facebook photo shows Mills had a colostomy bag.

On Aug. 9, FDLE reported that the DNA profile obtained from the original vaginal swabs was consistent with the DNA profile collected from the adhesive on the colostomy bags.
The fingerprints taken from Slaten’s window also were a match to Mills’ prints, documented for an unrelated arrest in January 1984, according to reports.

Anything on his arraignment this morning? For some reason - I can not access the Polk County court site....

If someone can - and there is the next court date -please post! TIA!
animated-smileys-new-years-eve-079.gif

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back