FL - Lindsey Scott, 22, charged in death of newborn, Oakland Park, 7 July 2007

Please, no one think that EVEN if she is mentally ill that I personally think it's a valid excuse to kill an infant (or anyone). There is no excuse, period. I was just wondering if maybe something was wrong with her. Obviously there is, but I'm talking about a diagnosed, established disorder or something.

Not that there's anything wrong per se with a 22 year old living at home, I'm also curious about her situation. Was she attending college? Working full-time? Had she lived out on her own but moved back in with her parents because she lost a job? I know none of this really has anything to do with why she killed her baby, just nosiness on my part.

Please, no one think that EVEN if she is mentally ill that I personally think it's a valid excuse to kill an infant (or anyone). There is no excuse, period. I was just wondering if maybe something was wrong with her. Obviously there is, but I'm talking about a diagnosed, established disorder or something.

Not that there's anything wrong per se with a 22 year old living at home, I'm also curious about her situation. Was she attending college? Working full-time? Had she lived out on her own but moved back in with her parents because she lost a job? I know none of this really has anything to do with why she killed her baby, just nosiness on my part.

Being legally INSANE is a legal defense but that only applies if the person really has no notion of right from wrong.

Being legally INSANE is a legal defense but that only applies if the person really has no notion of right from wrong.

I'm sure she has the mental capacity to know right from wrong. If she can go shopping for maternity clothes and come up with a clever (?) excuse as to why she had them, then I'd say she was functioning well enough to know better. Again, she should've known better and I can't believe that she was so clueless about her options. But like Cyberlaw said a few posts back, people like this see the baby as a problem to be solved, not a human with feelings or rights. That really doesn't sound like "insane" to me, just incredibly selfish and cruel.

I'm very perplexed at the parent's living in denial. I'm really curious about the entire family, the dynamics of the household, etc.

Oakland Park woman accused of killing newborn to be released on bail

An Oakland Park woman [Lindsey Christine Scott, 22] charged with killing her newborn daughter by tossing her out in a trash can was permitted at a hearing Friday to post a $100,000 bail until her next court date.

Nurses at Holy Cross Hospital discovered the severed umbilical cord and confronted her, Champagne said. He said she came up with different stories, including that she had taken the baby to a Safe Haven - a hospital or fire station where parents are allowed under a 2000 law to surrender a newborn with no questions asked. A second story was that she had delivered a dead baby, Champagne said.

Scott lowered her head and sobbed when prosecutor Shari Tate showed the judge pictures of her dead baby and of the black garbage bag the baby had been found in.

'She lets it die in the garbage bag,' said Tate, who argued Scott knew she was pregnant because she bought maternity clothes at Target.

The Broward Medical Examiner's Office said an autopsy showed the baby had been breathing before she was placed in the bag and said the cause of death was asphyxiation.

She deserves everything that she gets and I hope it is a long time :furious:
She chose to let her baby die rather then to take it to a SafeHaven of which she knew about...no excuses for her :furious:

She should be put in prison for a VERY long time. She had NO excuse.

She deserves everything that she gets and I hope it is a long time :furious:
She chose to let her baby die rather then to take it to a SafeHaven of which she knew about...no excuses for her :furious:
Ditto!! :furious: :furious:

Tubes tied. 15 years in jail, plus 25 years probation. Or life in prison, her choice.

You KNOW I am going to go off on this woman!!! HOW DARE SHE!!! SHE SHOULD GET THE MAXIMUM SENTENCE!!! GRRRRR!!!

She also needs a picture of her dead baby in the bag blown up and put on her jail cell wall to see every moment she is in there for what she did!

December 2011:

Prosecutors dropped a murder charge Tuesday against an Oakland Park woman accused of killing her newborn...

Prosecutors announced Tuesday they would not seek the murder charge because three doctors “felt this is a death that could have occurred during the birthing process and there was not enough evidence to state to any degree of medical certainty that it did not occur in that manner,” according to the Broward State Attorney’s close-out memo.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2011/12/06/charge-dropped-against-mom-accused-of-killing-newborn/

According to a Dec. 1 closeout memorandum outlining the State Attorney's decision, the murder charge had been filed after the assistant medical examiner who first examined the infant determined that the manner of death was a homicide.

But the same doctor, Reinhard Motte, later testified during a deposition that the umbilical cord had been wrapped around the baby's neck, which could have led to her accidental suffocation.

Experts brought in by Bogenschutz had already said the death of the baby girl on July 7, 2007, was an accident.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...arge-umbilical-cord-courtroom-tuesday-morning

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back