FL FL - Little Talbot Island, WhtMale 79UMFL, 40-60, leaning against tree, Jan'90

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 79UMFL
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/79umfl.html
NamUs UP 961 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/961

79UMFL.jpg

Sketch of Victim by J. McMillan

Unidentified White Male
Located on January 20, 1990 on Little Talbot Island, Duval County, Florida.
Estimated Date of Death: 3 - 6 months prior to discovery.
Cause of Death: homicide, gunshot
State of Remains: Partial Skeletal

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 40 - 60 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 6'2" - 6'4"; 250 - 290 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Graying sandy blonde and almost straight hair. Wide face.
Clothing: He was wearing a size 40 blue button-down shirt; blue "Hager" pants size 40 long; a white T-shirt; a light gray jacket; black socks; size 13 black leather shoes with laces; white boxer underwear; and a brown belt. He was carrying a hat/visor.
Personal Effects : A key chain with 4 keys, 2 being car key of General Motors', a government-issued ball point pen, black frame, non prescription sunglasses, super glue, nail clippers, plastic comb and a black smoking pipe.
Skeletal Findings : Possible old laminectomy L4-L5; styloid process on right ulna was very short or broken away and remaining stump eburnated; perforation through left maxillary sinus with fistulous tract from chronic sinus infection; one or more healed fractures of nasal bones; at least partially healed fracture of right second rib.
Fingerprints: Not available. Unobtainable.
Dentals: Available, Extensive dental work. #5&9: root canal therapy completed; #23-26: fractured; #13: acrylic composite/veneer; #20: tilted distally; #27: rotated; #2,3,7,9,10,11, 12,15 & 18: severe bone loss.
DNA: Pending

Case History
The victim's skeletal remains located Off the Atlantic coast, at 15000 Block of Hecksher Drive, twenty miles from downtown Jacksonville, Florida, On Little Talbot Island, in a wooded area.
Little Talbot Island is a undeveloped, barrier island near the Duval/Nassau County line, in Northeast Florida. The entire island - 2,500 acres - is a State Park.

He was found resting up against a tree and seated on plastic material.

The height is off, but I couldn't help but notice the resemblance of Edward F. Grossman to the reconstruction for this John Doe.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8039/0
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/grossman_edward.html

grossman_edward2.jpg
79UMFL.jpg

Aside from the height, everything else seems plausible.
* His age (59) is within range (40-60)
* The timeline is right - LKA (Sep-89) to Discovery (Jan-90) is 4 months - Consistent with the 3-6 month postmortem interval.
* The circumstances indicate that he would not necessarily be expected to be found near the area from where he disappeared (Wyoming County NY)

The rule-out list contains 19 names, but not his.

There is no DNA or Dentals on him, so they might have trouble comparing him.

The height is off, but I couldn't help but notice the resemblance of Edward F. Grossman to the reconstruction for this John Doe.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8039/0
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/grossman_edward.html

grossman_edward2.jpg
79UMFL.jpg

Aside from the height, everything else seems plausible.
* His age (59) is within range (40-60)
* The timeline is right - LKA (Sep-89) to Discovery (Jan-90) is 4 months - Consistent with the 3-6 month postmortem interval.
* The circumstances indicate that he would not necessarily be expected to be found near the area from where he disappeared (Wyoming County NY)

The rule-out list contains 19 names, but not his.

There is no DNA or Dentals on him, so they might have trouble comparing him.

Grossman is said to have black hair, while the UID had graying blond hair. That would lead me to think this isn't him. But the 2 photos of Grossman are so different, which makes it difficult to say for sure.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Exclusions
The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:
First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA
Elito Castro 0
Ernest E. Cofield 0
Phillip Crossan 0
Leen Dykhuizen 0
Roy Hagel 1950 North Dakota
Gerard J. Hanrahan 1941 Massachusetts
Ronald Peter Lombardo 0
Peter Strother Madison 0
Sydney Manning 0
Richard Masson 0
George Miles 1927 Maryland
Tracey, AKA Tracy, Walter Miracle 1926 Kentucky
Hanson Oates 0
Gordon Thomas Page, Jr 1963 Michigan
Johnny L. Parker 0
Fred M. Russ 0
William C. Taylor, VII 0
Marten Van Harten 1956 Florida
Ronald Westwick 1944 Iowa

He wasn’t identified but instead got listed in NamUs under a new case number.

Im curious of others opinions on James Lynn McGlothin. He went missing 2,5 months before the Doe was found. His vehicle was a Chevy blazer (consistent with the Does Keys, GM vehicle required a separate key for the fuel cap), and he also visually resembled the Doe. Things off are the height and the hair color (but i am always skeptical of given hair colors)
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Attachments

• James Lynn McGlothin.png
    James Lynn McGlothin.png
    911.1 KB · Views: 12
My parents live nearby and I’ve been to Little Talbot (and Big Talbot) a few times. There is only one road, Highway A1A, that goes to the island. There is a small access road that leads to a parking lot with beach access, but there isn’t any other way onto or off of the island. I’m not sure what it was like in 1990, but at least currently people will sometimes park their cars on the shoulder of the road, particularly near the bridges where people sometimes fish. It’s also moderately popular, but not overwhelmingly so. I also don’t remember seeing any trees near the beach, as there were large dunes abutting the beach which led up to a wooded area between the dunes and the road, so I’m not sure where he could’ve been found against a tree unless it was on the side of the road or in the area near the parking lot.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back