FL FL - Mabel Andrews, 16, Orlando, 16 Jan 1976

I doubt the California UID is Mabel, I think the Florida UID is definitely a match, especially considering the description is so close to Mabel's.

Since DNA available on all three they should not be considered a match. But I DO see a resemblance.

The answer to that is a rousing "It depends," or possibly "yes, but."

If it's the same kind of DNA (mtDNA or full)
If it's a high enough quality
If there are enough family reference samples (this varies according to the kind of DNA and the nature of the relationship)
If it's in the same database (some agencies prefer to keep the information under their control)

And I've been told, I don't know how accurately, that sometimes LE will request that a profile not be automatically compared even if everything else is good.

This article has a lot of interesting information: http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2010/1003.bobelian.html

I also think shes a perfect match with the florida jane doe. Did anyone send that in? There's too many similarities to not be Mabel. However I think they got it wrong with the date. Should be 1976 instead of 1977. There are even photos of the jane does clothing on identifyus so the parents could've easily identified her based on that plus her glasses.

Most likely she died the same day she disappeared. That ex-boyfriend seem suspicious to me. I just can't understand why it would take 40 years to identify someone that was right there all along.

Will be interesting to see how long it takes before we get that match. The family deserves that.

Got a response from California:

Good morning Shaun,

I received an email that you sent to our office that was in regards to a possible match between Mabel Andrews and our Jane Doe 04-76. I have pulled our case file and the physical descriptions are pretty close with the exception of the weight (which could have changed in the 8 months between the missing date and the found date). It doesn’t appear that there are any dental records on Mabel that I can compare to. I have requested a DNA comparison be done. Thank you for taking the time to provide assistance with these cases.

Thanks,

September A. Fonzi-Jones
San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department
Coroner Division
Unidentified Persons Unit
909-387-2978 Office
909-387-2335 Fax

*Edit Also, they mention this hasn't been submitted fyi. Also found a new contact for Orlando ME and they are looking into and will write back a response.

Got a response from Orlando Florida:

Good afternoon,

I have responded to a number of people who have inquired on these two cases over the past few years. We are not trying to be difficult in our response, but currently our hands, as well as that of law enforcement, are tied. While I cannot disclose all of the details and circumstances of the comparison/investigation, at this time the DNA comparison between the family of MP Andrews and our unidentified case #77-0043 was not a match. The circumstantial information is very compelling which is why we haven’t completely ruled them out. But, based on the DNA results, we cannot currently link them together.

Regards,

Ashley Shaughnessy
Forensic Services Supervisor
District 9 Medical Examiner's Office
2350 E Michigan St
Orlando, FL 32806
(407)836-9408

Got a response from Orlando Florida:

Good afternoon,

I have responded to a number of people who have inquired on these two cases over the past few years. We are not trying to be difficult in our response, but currently our hands, as well as that of law enforcement, are tied. While I cannot disclose all of the details and circumstances of the comparison/investigation, at this time the DNA comparison between the family of MP Andrews and our unidentified case #77-0043 was not a match. The circumstantial information is very compelling which is why we haven’t completely ruled them out. But, based on the DNA results, we cannot currently link them together.

Regards,

Ashley Shaughnessy
Forensic Services Supervisor
District 9 Medical Examiner's Office
2350 E Michigan St
Orlando, FL 32806
(407)836-9408

That is a very odd situation.

Bump:

Mabel Andrews

NCMC1233611c1.jpg

Missing Since - Jan 16, 1976
Missing From - Orlando, FL
DOB - Nov 21, 1959
Age Now - 59
Sex - Female
Race - Black
Hair Color - Black
Eye Color - Brown
Height - 5'5"
Weight - 114 lbs

Extra Photo

NCMC1233611x1.jpg

Both photos shown are of Mabel. She was last seen on January 16, 1976.

Have you seen this child? MABEL ANDREWS

So, this case is interesting. Keep reading for some surprises about why the Mabel Andrews disappearance might be a bit sensitive for law enforcement. I was one of several who contacted law enforcement in both Florida and California about the similarities between the Jane Doe found outside of Baker and Mabel Andrews.

I sent an email off about this comparison in either late 2014 or early 2015. I occasionally go back and look at the exclusions list for the Baker Jane Doe - only to see that Mabel has never been added. I actually filed a public records request for documents about the disappearance of Mabel. You can find the documents with a basic Google search. So, here's my theory about why the identification hasn't been made yet. From the documents released by the public records request, it becomes clear that the DNA collected in the search for Mabel came from her non-identical twin. Now, DNA is not my forte, and if anyone on here can explain this, I would appreciate it. But, I believe that they can't automatically use human mitochondrial DNA from fraternal non-identical twins.

Mabel's story gets even more interesting in regards to DNA. Mabel is the sister of Tommy (Tommie) Lee Andrews. Mabel's brother, Tommie Lee Andrews, was the first American ever convicted of rape from a DNA sample. So, her brother is an interesting person in DNA and criminal justice history in the United States. There's some interesting stories about how DNA testing was used in his case - worth a read if you're interested.

Tommie Lee Andrews actually filed a case in court to have her (his sister) declared legally dead. It's from that court case where the discrepancy between Christmas Eve 1974 disappearance date and the January 16 1979 cases are explained. This discrepancy is also mentioned in the files released from the public records request.

What's interesting about her brother is the irony. Her brother was the first rapist convicted using DNA. However, it is not allowed under the law to compare DNA in a sex offender registry with DNA in CODIS designated as being missing person or unidentified decedent!

Mabel's NamUs profile has been updated on 4/12/22 The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
She currently has 22 rule outs
UP5820n 08/28/1976 San Bernardino CA
UP17621 10/02/1976 Grundy IL
UP6335 08/16/1997 Page VA
UP15636 12/16/1984 Cuyahoga OH
UP8419 01/16/2001 Isle of Wight VA
UP860 12/10/1989 Clay FL
UP7277 07/29/1985 Cuyahoga OH
UP10812 05/28/1989 Louisa VA
UP2005 09/23/1998 Cuyahoga OH
UP8579 01/25/1981 Hanover VA
UP6661 02/03/1991 Stafford VA
UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA
UP6627 02/18/1982 Norfolk VA
UP6470 09/27/2001 Fairfax VA
UP960 09/10/2004 Norfolk VA
UP6247 07/01/1998 Pittsylvania VA
UP6628 05/09/1990 Falls Church VA
UP6665 05/14/2007 Petersburg VA
UP666611/16/2007Dinwiddie VA
UP788 01/21/2002 Petersburg VA
UP2627 02/02/1991 York VA

It sounds like the DNA extracted from the Jane Doe differs from the DNA from her family.

the two possible types of DNA that can be tested are Nucleal and Mitochondrial. They took a blood sample from her brother and a mouth swab from her sister. Mitochondrial can only come from her sister.

Why would they not match? Could it be that maybe the siblings are unaware that they are actually not related? If Mabel's mother has passed, then the only MtDNA to test against would be her sister.

But here's where it gets weird... her fraternal twin sister was born a month AFTER Mabel. Meaning her mother gave birth to Mabel but continued to gestate her twin. Now thats not possible if they share both mother and father. if they have half siblings, it's possible but super rare. It means she became pregnant started sleeping with someone else and got pregnant by another man as well. But like I said, that's RARE.

I wonder if after looking into it, maybe Mabel's sister isn't her sister by birth. Maybe something was forged? It was the 70s, so it's a possibility.

But here's the thing. They have dental records for Mabel and as per the public access records they have been entered for comparison. Does this mean that Jane Doe had no teeth when found? Strange because they clearly found a skull or else how would they have noticed the asymmetrical nose?

This is such a sad and strange case...

Justice for whoever killed Mabel and Nancy.

Both were known to frequent the green parrot bay club where Nancy was last seen. Both have reports stating that they were known to both get rides from men at these clubs.

I am surprised that law enforcement hasn't started looking for a serial killer as this is what it looks like....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back