GUILTY FL - Makia Coney, 17, Jacksonville, 10 Feb 2010

Sorry to be off-topic, but can someone tell me what ITA means? I tried looking it up, but all i could find was "international trade association" "international trombone association" (my personal favorite), and "indoor tanning association"- lol.
TIA (thanks in advance, for those who are lost like me!)

lol - ITA usually means I TOTALLY AGREE!

ETA: Sorry, I saw that it was answered long time ago.
by the way - ETA means - edit to add.

Mad Dads Search For Answers In Student's Murder
By Sam Jordan
February 15, 2010 12:33 AM

A local anti-crime organization is angry about the murder of Makia Coney.

The 17-year-old's body was found in a Southside park last week. It's a case that has outraged Jacksonville Mad Dads president Donald Foy. "She was raped and brutally, I repeat, brutally beaten to death. Unrecognizable," said Foy. It should be pointed out that as of Friday, police had not confirmed whether she was beaten or raped.

This weekend Mad Dads and others canvassed the neighborhood around Baker Skinner Park off Powers Avenue looking for information.

http://wokv.com/localnews/2010/02/mad-dads-search-for-answers-in.html

??? I thought she was shot, now they are saying beaten to death??

I swear that "reporters" and news stories are so messed up lately, so many misquotes, so much misinformation

either way this is just a horrible horrible crime, very frightning to think that this poor girl apparently thought these sick kids were her "friends"

I agree with LM, sounds like another case where they just wanted to know what it felt like. WTH?
I don't think harsher punishments is the answer, it's something happening before these people lash out. What is it? The punishments don't mean jack, they are just revenge...we need to stop these things before punishment is necessary.

RIP Makia. You were a beautiful child who didn't deserve any of this. Prayers to the family. I cannot imagine the loss and heartbreak you suffer.

All I can say now is.. I'm really terrified for my children. We didn't have these kinds of worries when I was growing up (70s-80s). Did these things just not happen then or do we all think our own childhoods were more innocent times? My goodness, where is it all going wrong?

??? I thought she was shot, now they are saying beaten to death??

I swear that "reporters" and news stories are so messed up lately, so many misquotes, so much misinformation

either way this is just a horrible horrible crime, very frightning to think that this poor girl apparently thought these sick kids were her "friends"

Early on a city councilman had reported she was beaten...here's the link I posted upthread to the'undescribable' beating. :(

http://www.news4jax.com/news/22532465/detail.html

I don't know if the Mad Dads info is related to what they heard from the family or the councilman....It, sadly, doesn't sound like bad reporting - but it could be misinformation from before the gunshot info was released.

It's just mind-numbing to figure out why the perps would leave school & do whatever they did to Makia, then go back to school...and Pridgen to have the nerve to post on FB to give him tips!

I think they thought they were gonna get away with this! Young psychopaths -- I hope they're locked away forever.

I agree with LM, sounds like another case where they just wanted to know what it felt like. WTH?
I don't think harsher punishments is the answer, it's something happening before these people lash out. What is it? The punishments don't mean jack, they are just revenge...we need to stop these things before punishment is necessary.

Well...one thing I have said over and over..is that usually someone (peers) knows something

how many times do we see these freaky horrible crimes and then afterwards we learn the perps were "into gore" or "spoke about killing people" or whatever?? It happens so much

I think that schools/parents need to let kids know that it is OK to "tell" when a fellow student/friend is talking about suicide or killing people or doing violence etc...warning signals are often right there...who is paying attention??

from Columbine to Michael Fernandez to Allyssa Bustamente and on and on...so many times their peers KNOW these kids are talking about violence, killing...

There has to be a way to reach out to let kids know it is OK to "rat out" their buddies in some (dangerous) cases JMO

i dunno, this is just sad. any rumors about the two being involved, just a hunch. I think it was just a thrill kill. Maybe one of the boys pretended to like her and told her that they would take her home from school. Just creepy.

Mad Dads Search For Answers In Student's Murder
By Sam Jordan
February 15, 2010 12:33 AM

A local anti-crime organization is angry about the murder of Makia Coney.

The 17-year-old's body was found in a Southside park last week. It's a case that has outraged Jacksonville Mad Dads president Donald Foy. "She was raped and brutally, I repeat, brutally beaten to death. Unrecognizable," said Foy. It should be pointed out that as of Friday, police had not confirmed whether she was beaten or raped.

This weekend Mad Dads and others canvassed the neighborhood around Baker Skinner Park off Powers Avenue looking for information.

http://wokv.com/localnews/2010/02/mad-dads-search-for-answers-in.html

I didn't remember rape being reported before. I'm thinking that these boys are likely facing the possibility of the death penalty--
If they stole the guns weeks ago, they planned ahead.
Possible charge of kidnapping (depending on whether they can prove she went with them willingly or not?) -- Now include sexual assault....

I thought that FL was one of the states where juveniles can get the DP- I did find a quote from 2000 that stated that 16 y/o could not be given the DP-- does anyone know if 17 y/o can?
Since one is 16 and one 17, would they give the DP to one and not the other???

I didn't remember rape being reported before. I'm thinking that these boys are likely facing the possibility of the death penalty--
If they stole the guns weeks ago, they planned ahead.
Possible charge of kidnapping (depending on whether they can prove she went with them willingly or not?) -- Now include sexual assault....

I thought that FL was one of the states where juveniles can get the DP- I did find a quote from 2000 that stated that 16 y/o could not be given the DP-- does anyone know if 17 y/o can?
Since one is 16 and one 17, would they give the DP to one and not the other???

It's confusing to me, too Annie...info at the firstcoastnews link you posted upthread indicates they will be charged as adults, but says juvies aren't eligible for DP.

I hope they do have to spend the rest of their lives worrying about their own safety in prison by adults -- not just other juvies.

I don't think any assumptions should be made as to why the boys killed her. I've known Connor since second grade, and that's not the Connor I know. I am aware that he did something unacceptable, even without the motive, both boys deserve life in prison.

However, for people who don't know them, it is unfair to say they did it for thrill, because you have no reason to believe so, other than the fact that there currently is no explanation.

I'm still in shock that he would have done something like this, he seems like the kind of kid that would spend life in jail to allow a friend to live. Not this. The Pridgen, Southern, and Coney families all need prayer. She was too young to die, and they are too young to be spending life in jail.

Hi...
I think Florida has a high number of juveniles on "life with no parole" ..one of the highest or maybe the highest number

there are 2 young men whose cases will be heard by the Supreme Court...
one has a life sentence for rape/s and one for habitual robbery etc

The Supreme Court will be ruling on that....but NOT on life sentence for murder (and this is apparently now going to be an aggravated murder case, if there is rape added)

The Supreme Court ruled in 2005 that Juveniles can not be given death penalty so that is "off the table"...

However, NO matter what the Supreme Court rules about the 2 kids who are not in for muder, it will not affect this case, as they are NOT "challenging" muder cases, only life for juveniles who did not commit murder

Given that Florida has used the life sentence regularly for Juveniles who murder (and apparently for some who don't) my guess is that they will go for that with these 2 guys

I for one think it is justified. This is a horrible senseless crime JMO

The two University Christian School teenagers accused of shooting 17-year-old classmate Makia Coney in the head are being formally charged today as adults.

Connor Julian Pridgen, 16, and Charles Roy Southern, 17, are scheduled for a 1:30 p.m. appearance before Judge John Merrett in the Juvenile Division of the Duval County Courthouse.

The State Attorney's Office is formally charging them with murder and seeking to transfer the case to Circuit Court where they will be tried as adults. In doing so, State Attorney Angela Corey issued the following statement:

"The murder of Makia Coney, coming on the heels of Somer Thompson’s murder and in the midst of the trial of those alleged to have killed DreShawna Davis, leaves our community grieving and bewildered. These murders were brutal and senseless, and directed at innocent children and young women. ... My office will work with equal determination to bring those responsible to justice and full accountability."
Connor and Southern went to the Sheriff's Office Friday night and were charged. They did not provide a clear motive but were seen in Southern's pickup driving around after school that day. Police think they stole two .44-caliber handguns from a metal box of the father of a friend.

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/...nts_charged_as_adults_in_makia_coneys_killing

I don't think any assumptions should be made as to why the boys killed her. I've known Connor since second grade, and that's not the Connor I know. I am aware that he did something unacceptable, even without the motive, both boys deserve life in prison.

However, for people who don't know them, it is unfair to say they did it for thrill, because you have no reason to believe so, other than the fact that there currently is no explanation.

I'm still in shock that he would have done something like this, he seems like the kind of kid that would spend life in jail to allow a friend to live. Not this. The Pridgen, Southern, and Coney families all need prayer. She was too young to die, and they are too young to be spending life in jail.

Hi and welcome to WS!

Per WS policy, since you know one of the people involved in this case, you must contact WS's owner, Tricia, so she can verify your identity before you make any more posts in this thread. Her email is tgrif@xmission.com.

This is done to protect the forum from people who come on, claim to know someone in the case, and then post false "information".

Thanks for your help.

Hoppy
mod

<snip>

"On Thursday he was comforting me, telling me 'everything will be alright. We are going to find the murderers'. Just hugging me," She said.
She said that she could tell something was very wrong with the two boys after the murder.
"I looked at Conor and just saw that he was so quiet. Usually he was talking the whole time but he just sat their quiet. It was just very weird," the student explained.

http://wokv.com/localnews/2010/02/university-christian-students.html

==================================
more on the 'beat down'

Earlier today, the JSO released a report about a fight Saturday among Pridgen and eight other inmates at the Duval Detention Center where he is being held.

According to the JSO police report, the officer heard one of the suspects in the fight after the incident saying, "We beat the boy down! If we could have gotten to the other one we could have beat him down too!"

"All of the suspects began hitting and kicking" Pridgen "while he was on the floor," the report said. Pridgen had abrasions on his face and legs.

Pridgen was struck in the face with a fist, "knocking him to the floor." A guard at the facility who tried to help Pridgen was shoved out of the way and a suspect through a trash can at him, hitting him in the back.

None of the suspects, who were arrested, cooperated in the investigation.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/local/news-article.aspx?storyid=152075

State: Suspects in Makia Coney slaying likely stole guns from friend's home

* By Matt Coleman
* Story updated at 6:48 AM on Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2010

The two teen suspects in the shooting death of 17-year-old University Christian School student Makia Ann Coney likely stole the guns used in the attack from a friend’s home, authorities said Monday.

Assistant State Attorney Mark Caliel said he believes Charles Roy Southern, 17, and Connor Julian Pridgen, 16, took two .44-caliber revolvers and ammunition from the home of James C. Cumbie. Cumbie’s 18-year-old son, Daniel, was friends with the teens. All three also went to University Christian.

The guns were seized after the suspects voluntarily turned themselves in to police Friday night and said they both shot Coney in the head. Her body was found on Powers Avenue near Baker Skinner Park shortly after 6 p.m. Wednesday.

One of the guns was found in Pridgen’s home, Caliel said. The other was found on the side of the road off Florida 210 in St. Johns County. Caliel said Southern led officers to where he dumped it.

Caliel said investigators believe Southern and Pridgen “secreted the weapons and ammunition into a backpack” while they were left unattended in the home.

more here

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/...ia_coney_slaying_likely_stole_guns_from_frien

just got a tweet from a reporter that said (paraphrased)

Sheriff Rutherford said their missing persons protocol has been revised because of the Makia Coney case, & that LEOs will now respond immediately.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back