FL - Manhunt in Tampa after 4 slayings in 5 weeks, Oct-Nov 2017 #2 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Maybe he took a hard hit to the head on the court, no excuse, just wondering about possible TBI.)

(Eta: I'd reaaaally like to interview this guy.)
(Eta: not tring to sound cocky, but he'd probably be more likely to talk to someone like me anyway vs an interrogative cop...a more "tell your story" approach)

I would reaaaaally love for you to interview him too Margarita! I know you would get us some answers girlfriend!

So long has he had this name Trigga trai?

Don't know but some of his old neighborhood friends said he had a couple " gangsta names". Their words.
His parents called him Howe.

So do we have a young man who was torn between being the 'good son' or being the 'gangsta son' ?? Gangsta won!

Certainly... as I said... *some* schools, not all.

There are schools where the athletic program is important enough to, let's say facilitate the academic performance of athletes who might otherwise struggle. The Big 10 school I attended gave top priority in scheduling to athletes, provided personal tutors as necessary, often had separate sections for certain classes specifically for athletes, have certain majors they steer athletes into... And still occasionally would have difficulty keeping certain star athletes at an acceptable GPA to maintain their qualification.

Not that anybody cares how the athletes are *really* doing academically...

https://scout.com/college/temple/Bo...-of-Student-Athletes-not-our-problem-70987163

After years of making the case that the education of athletes is paramount, the NCAA now says it has no legal responsibility to make sure education is actually delivered.

Now, this guy was far from a star athlete, and I have no idea how important the sports program is to St Johns... just saying that some programs may not actually be geared to those who want to pursue a professional career.

Oh, and, yes, the school confirmed that he graduated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have heard about cases in the past where college athletes are passed in class when they really should fail. (Not saying this is the case here, just adding to your post.)

Was he on an athletic scholarship?

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local...elieved-by-arrest-in-seminole-heights-murders
[h=1]After being questioned, Uber driver relieved by arrest in Seminole Heights murders[/h]
TAMPA (FOX 13) - When Levi Houston bought a resold Chevrolet Impala unmarked police cruiser, he never thought it would be a reason the actual police might pull him over and he never considered the items in his car might look suspicious one day.

But in early October, a killer began taking lives in Southeast Seminole Heights and the traffic stops started for Houston.

"I was pulled over probably a total of three times, my apartment was searched twice and my car three items as well," he said.
"They asked me some really strange questions like, 'how do you think the killer feels after he kills somebody? Do you think he feels bad about it?'" he said. "They would ask me, 'how tall are you, about six foot?'"
Houston is a HART bus driver.

It wasn't long before homicide detectives were back at his home.

"They asked if I was willing to take a DNA sample, which I gave them the DNA sample. They asked my whereabouts. They asked for a polygraph [and] if I'd give them my phone data," he said. "They actually went to my son's daycare and they actually got the log book to see when I was picking him up."
After the arrest affidavit was released, the questions began making sense to Houston.

According to police, Donaldson used a .40-caliber handgun in each of the murders.

The bag in Houston's trunk had been used to carry a .40-caliber gun, before Houston said he got rid of the weapon because he no longer wanted it

I have heard about cases in the past where college athletes are passed in class when they really should fail. (Not saying this is necessarily the case here.)

Was he on an athletic scholarship?

Not likely on a scholarship if he couldn't even make the freshman basketball team.

No, you misunderstood I think. I was saying he may have made up what his major was. He listed it as computer science, but going by what the media and the school staff have said, his major was sports management. I believe he earned a degree but for some reason listed a different area of study on his Facebook profile.
Maybe computer science was his intended major when he started, but he changed it maybe due to interest or for academic reasons (I think computer science at most schools is under the college of engineering, which would have a higher GPA requirement to get in).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not likely on a scholarship if he couldn't even make the freshman basketball team.

So, bench warmers or walk ons aren't eligible for athletic scholarships? (Sorry if this is a dumb question lol)

Heard on my local news here in Fl. that a Tampa area businessman had donated $9,000 to the McD. Mgr.
I'm surprised she hasn't been named the Real Hero in this. Heck she should be a celebrated citizen.

Yes! They should name a day after her and have a big celebration in her honor! So glad to have your local input too!

So, bench warmers or walk ons aren't eligible for athletic scholarships? (Sorry if this is a dumb question lol)

Not dumb at all. I've read several different descriptions of what his role/title was to the basketball team. But one of his former practice guys said HD had no uniform and just got to practice with them for one week prior to season opening.
I've seen other mention of his name being on the college team roster page. Maybe he didn't make the cut but he was
listed as a walkon because he volunteered to practice with them when they needed an extra player.

Rbbm.
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/na...da_man_accused_in_killings_shocked_by_charges
TAMPA, Fla. — The last time Michael Estevez saw Trai Donaldson, it was sometime in October and the two lifelong friends sat watching ESPN in Estevez's Tampa home, discussing the best basketball player of all time.

Estevez said LeBron. Donaldson said Jordan.

God could not have made us closer unless we were blood brothers."
Arrest records didn't list an attorney for Donaldson, who appeared shackled and wearing a blue padded anti-suicide vest in a jail video linkup for Thursday's court appearance.Estevez, 25, lives with his parents around the corner from where Donaldson lived with his family. Friends since elementary school, both grew up in an upper-middle class neighborhood of ranch homes.
During school breaks, they'd shoot hoops for hours in their driveways. By high school, Donaldson attended a succession of schools, trying to play for better teams, his friend said.And they remained close. Part of it was Donaldson's charisma; he was funny and charming.

"All growing up he was the most confident person, well taken care of, always clean, always had a haircut every single week, nice clothes, nice shoes," said Estevez. "He was the type of guy that when we were in a room, everyone in that room, was like, 'I gotta know this guy.'"

Donaldson enrolled at St. John's University in New York. He was a walk-on for the men's basketball team, never playing a game there, and Estevez didn't understand why his talented friend didn't go to a lesser-known school as a sports standout.After graduating, Estevez was signed to a minor league team of the Toronto Blue Jays but gave up baseball a few years later due to injury and moved back to Tampa
He said he saw Donaldson in his restaurant uniform and shrugged."No shame from me," he said. "I knew he'd just got out of college; that's a hard transition time for anybody."

The pair had discussed someday moving out of their parents' homes and getting an apartment together. And Donaldson didn't seem all that bothered by not reaching his goal to be a professional athlete — "he was too mentally strong for that."

Walk-ons by definition do not have athletic scholarships, at least initially. I think it's possible that if, hypothetically, he walked on and played really well for them that he could have gotten a scholarship in subsequent years, but since he didn't actually play that's not the case here.

"Bench warmers" often do have scholarships.

But in either case, it depends on the school. I'm pretty sure a lot of private schools don't offer athletic scholarships at all (I believe the Ivy league schools for example do not, though I could be wrong) but I have no idea what the situation with that is at St Johns.

Lifelong friend stunned by arrest in serial killings
by Tamara Lush Associated Press via Orlando Sentinel

from today at 5 pm

By high school, Donaldson attended a succession of schools, trying to play for better teams, his friend said.

They drifted apart somewhat in college. Estevez went to school in Alabama to play sports, while Donaldson enrolled at St. John’s University in New York. He was a walk-on for the men’s basketball team, never playing a game there, and Estevez didn’t understand why his talented friend didn’t go to a lesser-known school as a sports standout.
And Donaldson didn’t seem all that bothered by not reaching his goal of being a professional athlete — “he was too mentally strong for that.”

ABC Action News
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zopAHTaCI family after court, 'why'

WFLA News Channel 8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGjJizDn9Oc. Crime Stopper to give $5000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usplnfCSNHI Raw: of co-worker

So long has he had this name Trigga trai?

Just to play devil's advocate, it's possible the trigga is a basketball reference.

Like, Pistol Pete Maravich (sp?) was so named because he was an especially skilled shooter of a basketball, not because of anything related to an actual pistol.

OMG just had a thought...

Did St Johns basketball team ever travel to Ft. Collins, CO to play CSU by any chance in April, May and June of 2015? Was he on the team then? (Asking in reference to the unsolved random shooting cases here).

(Eta:note to self, look at CSU sports schedules in NOCO)

(In my opinion, sometimes athletes can be somewhat over glorified, and this contributes to other negative qualities/behaviors, etc which can often be underestimated, overlooked, etc. Michael Vick, as mentioned, is the perfect example of this. Subway's own Man the Year (out of everyone they could've picked to be a role model), who strangled, beat, drowned and electrocuted poor dogs on rape stands with his own arms. But he "paid his dues..." right? Makes me sick. My point, just because he's a good basketball player doesn't mean he doesnt participate in criminal activity and is an upstanding member of society, imo...not that anyone is saying that. I just see this type of thing a lot, Kelsie Schelling and Donthe Lucas for example.)

agreed. tired of giving psychopaths a pass.

Just to play devil's advocate, it's possible the trigga is a basketball reference.

Like, Pistol Pete Maravich (sp?) was so named because he was an especially skilled shooter of a basketball, not because of anything related to an actual pistol.

Funny you mention that! I googled the name/word Trigga looking for a connection, all I found was a black (Jamaican??)
hip hop/rapper ? named Trigga but his real name is Trey .....something.

He was a creepy kid IIRC. Grew up believing his mother was his older sister. His aunt Julia awakened from a nap one day surrounded by knives and 3 y/o Bundy smiling. Dahmer had a "cold" childhood. His mother suffered from mental illness and rarely held Jeff.

Friends say the older sister often kept HD.

Just my opinion.

I believe it.
from what I've read there was abuse in his family to what extent we'll never know but combined with his DNA predisposed to psychopathy it was a fatal combo.
I'm not sure what HD's family life was like, we may find out during the trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea