FL - Megan Todt 42, Alek 13, Tyler 11, Zoe 4, & dog Breezy, Celebration, 6 Jan 2020 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The interesting thing is that even if he was in deep debt, if he had at least the $278,000 cash to tide them over and pay the rent why end it all right then and there. It’s probably bc of the fraud charges and losing his license. He may have seen no light at the end of that tunnel, just embarrassment for himself and family. But even if he lost his and went to jail, his wife could have found work to support her kids and I’m sure her family would have helped out.

I think you are correct that the fraud charges and letting his license expire were the tipping points.

It bothers me that Megan was left alone with 3 children while her husband commuted back and forth from a practice in CT, and I wonder why she was on board with this. There's been a lot of speculation (affairs, gambling, etc). But the fact is we don't know what's accurate. Megan may have been aware of all this debt for all we know.

I do find it interesting that she home schooled. That's a pretty big commitment for a woman with "alleged medical issues" whose husband is home periodically at best. Florida's public schools are nothing to write home about (particularly in Central Florida -- better track record in South Florida) so I get why a couple would decide between private schooling vs. homeschooling.

That is a huge chunk of change to pay back a creditor when you can't pay your rent, are facing eviction, federal fraud charges and possible imprisonment. It's actually enough to disappear with, far away, and for a long time. I'm sure everyone would have preferred he would just disappeared over what he ended up doing. Some people will pay a creditor before they buy their own groceries, but I just don't see him as a person with that kind of genuine integrity, due to the fact that he committed fraud for years. JMO.

I'm very curious if the creditor electronically withdrew those funds from his account, or if he wrote them a check, trying to buy himself a few days before it bounced. The creditor may have made an attempt or attempts to contact his wife.

We may never know the answer to that, but if he did write a check he knew was going to bounce, especially one of that size, that would have definitely added to his woes right before the murders occurred. JMO.

Yes, mirtazepine is popular here in the States too. Brand name is Remeron. We prescribe it a lot of sleep at 7.5 mg or 15 mg at bedtime. And yes, increased appetite/weight gain is a well established side effect/result. Sometimes we chose that medication just for that reason in someone with poor sleep and depression with decreased appetite. @whatsnext... I am sorry you had that experience. I am glad you went back to your provider and got on something different.
Interesting. I had only ever heard of the drug as it’s prescribed for dogs and cats - strictly as an appetite stimulant. It works incredibly well for that.

Just realized something. The cops should have known something was wrong if family told them they could not reach them by phone. What happened when they tried calling TT
That is a huge chunk of change to pay back a creditor when you can't pay your rent, are facing eviction, federal fraud charges and possible imprisonment. It's actually enough to disappear with, far away, and for a long time. I'm sure everyone would have preferred he would just disappeared over what he ended up doing. Some people will pay a creditor before they buy their own groceries, but I just don't see him as a person with that kind of genuine integrity, due to the fact that he committed fraud for years. JMO.

I'm very curious if the creditor electronically withdrew those funds from his account, or if he wrote them a check, trying to buy himself a few days before it bounced. The creditor may have made an attempt or attempts to contact his wife.

We may never know the answer to that, but if he did write a check he knew was going to bounce, especially one of that size, that would have definitely added to his woes right before the murders occurred. JMO.

I think that total was for payment on 3 different loans, but he had many. Probably once he decided it was all over and he was toast he was just going to pay on those for whatever reason. The money may even have been stolen from health insurers and he had to get rid of it quick so he just made payments on loans. Or maybe so he could qualify for a public defender after the murders. It is really curious, isn’t it? I mean why pay that amount back when u can just bail yourself out of hole albeit temporarily.

Last edited:
I was thinking about debt in general, and it occurred to me that he likely, IMO, had a slew of credit card debt, as well.
Some folks will get trapped in the balance transfer cycle and end up with a dozen cards, all maxed out.

Drawing cash advances from a credit card, with high interest rates, can quicky become a financial nightmare too. IMO

I guess the opposite could be true as we'll.... He may have been unable to qualify for credit cards in recent years based on what his credit report exposed.

HEY EVERYONE,
WE NEED YOUR HELP! IT'S FREE AND TAKES JUST A FEW SECONDS!
CLICK HERE AND SUBSCRIBE TO THE WEBSLEUTHS YOUTUBE CHANNEL!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TXf5vfAv8k
We are past the halfway mark. We need 1000 subscribers before we can go live with something called "Smart Chat". Using Smart Chat to broadcast live will help Websleuths continue to operate.
Right now at Websleuths youtube, we have the latest Websleuths Radio Podcast with Leigh Egan from Crimeoneline.com Leigh updates us on the Heidi Broussard case, Paighton Houston and so much more.
Click on the link and hit the "Subscribe" button and help Websleuths.

Thank you,
Tricia

When I first saw TT, the first thing I thought was Cushing’s Syndrome (I’m an RN now). Here’s some information on the condition. The first thing that stood out to me was his “moon face”, and his pendulous abdomen that appears to have come on quickly just from the unusual way it is shaped. Hard to explain. It all has to do with high cortisol, the use of steroids, etc.

Cushing syndrome - Symptoms and causes

Cushing syndrome - Diagnosis and treatment - Mayo Clinic

HEY EVERYONE,

We are past the halfway mark. We need 1000 subscribers before we can go live with something called "Smart Chat". Using Smart Chat to broadcast live will help Websleuths continue to operate.
Right now at Websleuths youtube, we have the latest Websleuths Radio Podcast with Leigh Egan from Crimeoneline.com Leigh updates us on the Heidi Broussard case, Paighton Houston and so much more.

Thank you,
Tricia

Subscribed!

Can we please move on from the major discussion about gambling. We know what gambling is, we know what the consequences can be, and although it is one of many possibilities, it is an unknown and the speculation is not based on any known fact contained in MSM.

from the article in post #565:

“One of the quirks I remember from the case is the name Todt,” Rubenstein said, “It’s pronounced ‘tote,’ the d is silent. Not a common name. It’s German. You know what todt means in German? Death.”

I think I would have changed my last name....

And still no updates for court dates in the court site this morning.

HEY EVERYONE,

Thank you,
Tricia
Done

There's a much better video of the vigil here.

As the sun went down, they lifted their voices up in song.

More than 100 friends, loved ones and neighbors attended the candlelight vigil Monday honoring 42-year-old Megan Todt and her three children Alek, 13, Tyler, 11, and Zoe, 4, and their dog Breezy.

Community gathers for candlelight vigil to honor slain Celebration family

-- Two facts that don't jive with the 'family falls of financial cliff' theory is (1) they owned a condo in the same neighborhood that is valued at $277,000 which was purchased in 2005 and (2) Megan, his wife, still retained her license to practice as a physical therapist. If they were on hard financial times, I don't understand why they don't just live in the condo - it might be a bit cramped, but the house they were renting was over $40000/month. If the condo was too small and unbearable, they certainly could have found a much more affordable rental home in Orlando area. The family did live in the condo for a short period of time waiting for the rental house to be ready. I can't say if the condo is vacant or not, or if they rented it out as a source of income. I also can't say if the condo is mortgaged or owned outright.

---------------- Update from 7Niki3 -----------------
I think *he* fell off the financial cliff. My newish theory is that killed his family b/c he felt like he could not bear to tell them all the financial and legal troubles he found himself in. I think he kept the financial issues, including the Medicaid Fraud/Dept of Health and Human Services investigation to himself and didn't tell his wife, or if he did share, he didn't disclose the full truth. I think the eviction notice for the rental house in Celebration was the straw that broke the camel's back. He knew the Dept of Health/Human Services were closing in on him - he knew the investigation was close to wrapping up and he has told the investigators that he was 'getting a lawyer' but the sad fact is that he didn't have the money to get an attorney to take some of the heat off himself. He had borrowed money from something like 20 short-term lenders (sort of like the check cashing places that like charge high fees and penalties) along with the money he ripped off by submitting fraudulent claims to Medicare/Medicaid. There is a 20+ page summons re: Health and Human Services/FBI warrant. I'm going to try go get it in PDF format b/c I could only get screen shots of it as image files. I'll update when I got it.

Regarding TT letting his PT license lapse- in Connecticut, when one renews a license through the Department of Public Health, one signs an attestation statement that includes questions about illegal activity. It is possible that he sent in his renewal and fee, but DPH did not allow it to be renewed based on the investigations. The lapse of license may not have been in TT's hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain