FL FL - Miami Beach, WhtMale 1388UMFL, 46-70, offshore, laryngectomy, Apr'95

Another thought on the stoma. When persons have had a tracheostomy tube removed - the stoma is almost never sewn closed but rather left to heal on its own. Covered with a bandage for weeks or months until closed.
The stoma itself makes it very easy to drown. Because you cannot seal it off and you would not even have to get your hair wet to drown with a stoma.

Another thought on the stoma. When persons have had a tracheostomy tube removed - the stoma is almost never sewn closed but rather left to heal on its own. Covered with a bandage for weeks or months until closed.
The stoma itself makes it very easy to drown. Because you cannot seal it off and you would not even have to get your hair wet to drown with a stoma.

Interesting! But from the point of view of the autopsy, it would be water in the lungs just like any other drowning, no?

This is somewhat reminiscent of "Maritime John Doe":

FL - FL - “Maritime John Doe", Wht, 65-75, maritime tattoo, Atlantic Ocean, Sep'03

It is so strange to me that in both cases C.O.D. is listed as unknown. This leads me to believe that it wasn't drowning. I brought this up in Maritime John Doe's thread as a kind of wild thought but in this case I legitimately can see a burial at sea scenario. He clearly had serious health issues and was dressed very well with an expensive watch and what could be sentimental/meaningful rings on him. Suicide, maybe, but then wouldn't C.O.D. have been drowning without question? Drowning is pretty easy to determine in an autopsy isn't it?
As far as the gentleman himself goes, I am definitely thinking he is from the Islands, specifically the British West Indies. This is based on nothing more than what his composite looks like. Someone earlier said Bahamas which would be right on target. I have met many white Bahamians, Jamaicans etc in south Florida. Used to work with an older white man who was from St. Kitts. Could be from anywhere in the B.W.I.
OMG!
I might not have believed this but he WAS found 3 miles off-shore. He was nicely dressed so perhaps this is how he was prepared for burial?
I haven’t read all of the bylaws but perhaps the casket wasn’t secured properly and his body floated out?!
https://www.epa.gov/ocean-dumping/burial-sea#:~:text=Non-cremated remains,at least 600 feet deep.

@MagicCityMan, I think that you have hit on highly likely scenarios for both of these gentlemen; they were legally buried at sea.
It does seem likely that this fellow found 3 miles off of Miami originated from somewhere in the British West Indies.
I had a deep dive into researching the figures on heraldic crest ring and found only two comparables. The griffin with the three cross-crosslets fitchy is from the Froxmere family crest.
However the signet actually depicts a griffin’s head erased and one cross-crosslet fitchy. I can’t decide if the cross is supposed to be depicted as piercing the neck or just behind the creature.
I did find one fairly close, but not exact, in Fairbairn’s Crest of Leading Families, 1911 edition, (below left) but was unable to determine from which family crest it was derived.

Froxmere Name Meaning, Family History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
https://books.google.com/books?id=O3ImAQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:"James+Fairbairn"&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&source=gb_mobile_search&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjEy_mU_pn2AhVinGoFHUVuB14QuwV6BAgHEAc

Attachments

• 1AF12A39-F9CA-4999-AB00-845F21BB96F8.jpeg
    1AF12A39-F9CA-4999-AB00-845F21BB96F8.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 17
This is somewhat reminiscent of "Maritime John Doe":

FL - FL - “Maritime John Doe", Wht, 65-75, maritime tattoo, Atlantic Ocean, Sep'03

It is so strange to me that in both cases C.O.D. is listed as unknown. This leads me to believe that it wasn't drowning. I brought this up in Maritime John Doe's thread as a kind of wild thought but in this case I legitimately can see a burial at sea scenario. He clearly had serious health issues and was dressed very well with an expensive watch and what could be sentimental/meaningful rings on him. Suicide, maybe, but then wouldn't C.O.D. have been drowning without question? Drowning is pretty easy to determine in an autopsy isn't it?
As far as the gentleman himself goes, I am definitely thinking he is from the Islands, specifically the British West Indies. This is based on nothing more than what his composite looks like. Someone earlier said Bahamas which would be right on target. I have met many white Bahamians, Jamaicans etc in south Florida. Used to work with an older white man who was from St. Kitts. Could be from anywhere in the B.W.I.
I know for a fact that the Maritime John Doe is a criminal investigation. How? I asked for the case file and they denied me because of an active criminal investigation.

Something else to think on, in that area of Florida there is a long running club called the "Peninsula Lost Chord Club" which as it sounds like, is for folks who have undergone laryngectomy.

I did find one obituary in 1995 that involved both that club as well as burial at sea.

@MagicCityMan, I think that you have hit on highly likely scenarios for both of these gentlemen; they were legally buried at sea.
It does seem likely that this fellow found 3 miles off of Miami originated from somewhere in the British West Indies.
I had a deep dive into researching the figures on heraldic crest ring and found only two comparables. The griffin with the three cross-crosslets fitchy is from the Froxmere family crest.
However the signet actually depicts a griffin’s head erased and one cross-crosslet fitchy. I can’t decide if the cross is supposed to be depicted as piercing the neck or just behind the creature.
I did find one fairly close, but not exact, in Fairbairn’s Crest of Leading Families, 1911 edition, (below left) but was unable to determine from which family crest it was derived.

https://books.google.com/books?id=O3ImAQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:"James+Fairbairn"&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&source=gb_mobile_search&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjEy_mU_pn2AhVinGoFHUVuB14QuwV6BAgHEAc

I've spent a fair amount of time over the years browsing through all kinds of heraldry websites. The closest designs I've seen are on Victorian silver, but they're all clearly derivative and appear to be aimed at the market of well to do people who want to look noble when they're not, and none are identical.

If the griffin is being run through by the cross, it resembles a lot of St. George-and-the-dragon poses, without St. George and his horse.

I also found this Griffin and Cross Wax Seal Necklace - Guardianship and Faith which is a modern medallion "The griffin represents vigilance and guardianship while the cross represents faith."

they're all clearly derivative and appear to be aimed at the market of well to do people who want to look noble when they're not, and none are identical.

I had a couple of old-timer uncles who were from the same generation as UP and they had all sorts of interesting rings and jewelry that didn't mean much, but they liked the looks of. I think it was just kind of a fad back then, maybe. I still have a couple of the rings they gave me. One of them is a skull!

Very interesting case. It's interesting what @meanmaryjean said about drowning with a tracheostomy stoma. You could be treading water to stay afloat but with an unhealed stoma you would drown since water would still enter the lungs. I wonder whether drowning that way would be less terrifying since you wouldn't be conscious of water entering your mouth or nose which is a primal fear.

If the image of the deceased is fairly accurate I would say he is on the upper end of the age range, even perhaps in his mid 70s perhaps born in the 1920s making him eligible for military service during WW2. The poor fellow had undergone extensive surgeries that would be life altering. He couldn't talk anymore having his larynx removed. One of his scars suggest he may also have had a collapsed lung at some time. Perhaps meanmaryjean could verify if those incision/scars could reflect that. They sound very similar to incisions my ex-husband had when he had a collapsed lung. I wish the autopsy had indicated how recent the laryngectomy operation was if possible. I read that laryngeal cancer usually presents around the age of 63 with less than 20% getting it prior to 55 and is more common in men than women.

Initially, I wondered if he had been on a cruise ship and somehow 'fell off'. I put quotes around fell off because it's almost impossible to fall off a cruise ship accidentally. Only suicide, foul play or reckless activity that usually includes alcohol lead to someone falling off a cruise ship. Plus, the ship would find out pretty quickly if they lost a passenger or crew member. If he did fall off a vessel it's more likely he fell off a private craft but then you'd think if he was alone, a boat drifting aimlessly would be found in that area leading to an investigation. If he wasn't alone, well.....

Most of his clothes suggest he had some connection to the UK, perhaps not as a citizen but maybe lived where Marks and Sparks operated. There is a M & S In Bermuda and one in Bahamas. Bahamas is much closer to Florida than Bermuda.
There are so many countries that have or had M & S stores during that era, including Canada where I live. Here's a list of countries that have enjoyed having M and S as a retailer.

I am having a bit of a problem assuming this gentlemen was buried at sea. There are protocols regarding burying someone at sea. The following link lists what they are. Most burials are cremated remains and if the burials are full body burials the regulations are very strict.

I am in agreement with posters who see the ring insignia as the cross of Lorraine. It's hard to say whether the creature is a griffin, dragon or wyvern since the quality of the workmanship isn't the best. I can't really tell if the image is raised or carved.

Edited to add: Does anyone find it odd that his dentures had missing incisors? Does it suggest that when he had his natural teeth his incisors were missing so they just recreated what his teeth looked like?

Last edited:
I would think each facet of the ring would have meaning to him. It’s very personalized, possibly Irish Catholic.

I noticed this UP information posted on an Italian site. Was there some indication he may have been Italian?

Cross Crosslet Fitchee - A combination of cross and sword; unshakeable faith

Silver or White (Argent) - Peace and sincerity

The griffin's head erased, in its beak a cross crosslet, fitched, is listed as the armorial of the Edmonds/Edmands family in Fairbairn's. (see page 165 in that link #2) It's also the armorial of the extinct Bayntun-Sandys baronetcy. Given that Edmonds is a much more common name than Froxmere, I think that would be a good line of inquiry. The only thing that throws me is that the cross-crosslet is in the griffin's beak, rather than supported by its neck.

The griffin's head erased, in its beak a cross crosslet, fitched, is listed as the armorial of the Edmonds/Edmands family in Fairbairn's. (see page 165 in that link #2) It's also the armorial of the extinct Bayntun-Sandys baronetcy. Given that Edmonds is a much more common name than Froxmere, I think that would be a good line of inquiry. The only thing that throws me is that the cross-crosslet is in the griffin's beak, rather than supported by its neck.
Here's the "Fairbairn's Book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland". Just in case anyone wants to scroll through the images...

https://electricscotland.com/heraldry/fairbairnscrests02fair.pdf

Agree that Edmonds/Edmands are far more common names than Froxmere!
If it hasn’t been brought up before, it may be worth noting that the ring the UID was wearing is a put-together piece. The shield-shaped intaglio is roughly set into the squarish frame of a much larger ring. It is not actually “set” but looks like the top of a much smaller ring was simply forced down into the empty frame of a heavy, ornate men’s ring. Superficially a great “look,” but to my eye the piece is clearly mismatched, unfinished, and impractical for everyday wear.

Wouldn’t the wearer be worried that the intaglio could be jarred loose and fall out? Would someone wearing it day to day not be concerned with the amount of debris the ring’s poor setting could accumulate? Seems unlikely to be jewelry selected by anyone to be worn traveling on a cruise ship or during a fishing expedition.

To my mind this gentleman chose to wear this ring as some token of remembrance in his final days, and didn’t have time to have it professionally set. Was it an heirloom piece that he had worn in his youth? Did it belong to a loved one who had passed before him? His wife? Someone else? Did he put it on his finger before he took his life? Did he include instructions that he wished to be buried at sea with it?

It was stated up thread that this case was being investigated as a potential criminal case. If that rules out planned burial at sea, does LE then investigate any unexpected death (suicide, accidental, or homicide) as first potentially criminal? Without an identity and unknown cause of death, where would they even start?
TIA!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304