FL FL - Miami, BlkMale 60-80, hit by car, expensive clothes, physically fit, Jan '21

Charles Slater has been missing from Tampa since 2020. He is listed as being "transient".
I personally think he looks quite similar to the artist's recon; especially the lip and nose shape, as well as the dimple between the eyebrows.

Original

Charles Slater has been missing from Tampa since 2020. He is listed as being "transient".
I personally think he looks quite similar to the artist's recon; especially the lip and nose shape, as well as the dimple between the eyebrows.

Original

The timing lines up but I don't know about the resemblance. Charles has a shortened jaw as if he was missing a few teeth. The John Doe's reconstruction doesn't look like he had missing teeth, and he was also said to be "physically fit". If he was transient he probably hadn't been for long.

Original
Good find! I agree that Charles might be missing some teeth, but since the UID has no information about the quality of his dentals, that doesn't sway me...'Physically fit' is also such a vague statement, imo it doesn't necessarily imply physically healthy, but maybe is just referring to being muscular and not overweight.
I'm confused as to why I didn't see Charles when I was searching NamUs earlier, I kept my parameters very vague, and I swear his picture didn't show up. I searched FL only as well and he didn't show up. If he had, I would have included him in my possibility list. I noticed he's only been added to NamUs under a month ago... I'm wondering if his profile was hidden or locked for some reason and it's only been made visible in the past week?
@gentleroar , if you're comfortable doing so I would submit Charles as a possibility, just in case. I'd do it myself but I have 3 recent emails to NamUs and I'm sure if I sent too many I'll be placed on some sort of spam list ;)

Found some more articles about this guy! Wow...lots of new information here. This was a suicide. GRAPHIC detail below
FHP asks for public’s help in identifying man run over by vehicle
The Florida Highway Patrol is asking for the public’s assistance in identifying a man who was fatally struck by a vehicle earlier this year. The accident occurred around 9:30 p.m. Jan. 24 on Okeechobee Road near Northwest 170th Street.
Anyone who can identify the man is asked to call Investigator Brittney McLaurin at 305-545-2460, or email her at brittm@miamidade.gov.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article250789034.html
A man might’ve taken his own life on Okeechobee Road in Northwest Miami-Dade in January, but also might’ve given up his identity in the process. On Monday, FHP released a postmortem artist’s reconstruction from the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner’s Office of the Black man, who is around five-eight and 145 pounds. He was wearing a North Face black fleece jacket, a blue hat with “Florida” on it, blue shorts; a large, black T-shirt of a high school lacrosse team and a green Mercedes-Benz Corporate Run T-shirt. The crash report says a witness saw the unidentified man jumped in front of a 2019 Ford Mustang around 9:30 p.m. Jan. 24 at about 17015 Okeechobee Road, U.S. 27. The Mustang driver had just made a U-turn to the southbound lanes.

A man was split in two on Okeechobee Road in Miami-Dade. Do you know who he is?
The crash report says a witness saw the unidentified man jumped in front of a 2019 Ford Mustang around 9:30 p.m. Jan. 24 at about 17015 Okeechobee Road, U.S. 27. The Mustang driver had just made a U-turn to the southbound lanes.

As described in the report, the 18-year-old Mustang driver hit the man with the car’s front bumper, “causing his lower portion to sever and come to final rest on the right shoulder. “

green Mercedes-Benz Corporate Run T-shirt.
This is a 5k run in downtown Ft Lauderdale. I worked for a company and we did this event yearly. There are finishers lists if anybody wants to look them up and sort through names. However, the 2020 race was canceled, if this was a 2020 shirt I'd say he got it for free. Also I think we did custom shirts for the event instead of a race sponsored shirt.

If this was a suicide, this man intentionally didn’t want anyone to know his identity. I wonder why. Did he have a life that he was embarrassed by? Did he owe people money and couldn’t face the charges of say, embezzlement?

The nice clothing may have been his that he normally wore. Were his clothes clean as if he’d just showered and dressed? We’re they wrinkled and dirty as if he’d been wearing them for days?

Based on the articles I linked above, it's possible he was wearing shoes but they flew off when he was hit, and they weren't found/connected.
This would make sense. They could have landed far away because who walks in the middle of nowhere, at night, in January, even in FL, without shoes or flip flops?

Here are relevant parts of the Crash Report. It gives you a better idea of what happened and why they're having trouble with an ID, but alas doesn't give anymore clues about who this man could be. I still think it's worth sharing - it does share that the UID had absolutely no drugs and no alcohol in his system, and that leads have been followed up and ruled out.
Graphic description below.

Time Reported 24/Jan/2021 09:37 PM
Time on Scene 24/Jan/2021 11:24 PM (2 hours??? why)
Lattitude 25.927980731938401 and Longitude -80.421938499747696
Most Damaged Area - Windshield
Injury Severity of Driver - 1 None (only positive thing in the report)
JOHN DOE
Alcohol Tested - 3 Test Given
BAC - 0.000
Drug Tested - 3 Test Given
Drug Test Result - Negative
EMS Agency Name - BODY REMOVAL
Narrative - 01 was traveling on northbound State Road 25 ( W. Okeechobee RD) north of NW 170th St in the outside lane. NM01 was standing/walking on the southbound side of State Road 25 (W Okeechobee Road) in the outside lane. According to the witness, Driver 1 made a U-turn and was directly in front of her vehicle when he struck NM01 after NM01 jumped in front of the vehicle. V01's front right bumper struck NM01 causing his lower portion to sever and come to final rest on the right shoulder. NM01's left foot below the knee, came to final rest in the center of the roadway. NM01's right foot below the knee came to final rest in the grass on the right shoulder. NM01's upper torso was located in the front right passenger floorboard.
n June 18, 2021, I was notified by Cpl. C.Gracey, that the Traffic Homicide Investigation was completed and submitted. At this time, the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's Office utilized facial reconstruction in an attempt to identify the pedestrian. As of today's date, this has been unsuccessful. Finger prints and facial reconstruction have returned no results. The reconstructive facial document was distributed through social media, local law enforcement agencies and news media. The two leads (bolded by me) were followed up to determine if they were the pedestrian. Both were determined not to be the pedestrian. This report is being submitted and will be updated if further information arises.
upload_2022-2-7_0-38-43.png

Anyone who can identify the man is asked to call Investigator Brittney McLaurin at 305-545-2460, or email her at brittm@miamidade.gov.

I forwarded my suggestion email to Investigator McLaurin, just in case she has anything to share publicy or can quickly tell me if the guys have been ruled out already. @gentleroar , I also added your tip about Charles Slater to that e-mail :)

If this was a suicide, this man intentionally didn’t want anyone to know his identity. I wonder why. Did he have a life that he was embarrassed by? Did he owe people money and couldn’t face the charges of say, embezzlement?

The nice clothing may have been his that he normally wore. Were his clothes clean as if he’d just showered and dressed? We’re they wrinkled and dirty as if he’d been wearing them for days?
Is really is sad to think about people choosing to die nameless... I feel like many suicides try to hide their identity because they incorrectly feel like it will save their family pain, if they only believe their loved one is missing instead of dead.
personal anecdote - I actually had some guilt when I identified this suicide victim a few months ago, because like this guy, clearly he tried to hide his identity. I was in contact with his family though and they made it clear knowing what happened and receiving his body was A LOT less painful than wondering where he was and thinking the worst but having no confirmation. When you're deep in mental illness, it's hard for people to realize that.

Here are relevant parts of the Crash Report. It gives you a better idea of what happened and why they're having trouble with an ID, but alas doesn't give anymore clues about who this man could be. I still think it's worth sharing - it does share that the UID had absolutely no drugs and no alcohol in his system, and that leads have been followed up and ruled out.
Graphic description below.

Time Reported 24/Jan/2021 09:37 PM
Time on Scene 24/Jan/2021 11:24 PM (2 hours??? why)
Lattitude 25.927980731938401 and Longitude -80.421938499747696
Most Damaged Area - Windshield
Injury Severity of Driver - 1 None (only positive thing in the report)
JOHN DOE
Alcohol Tested - 3 Test Given
BAC - 0.000
Drug Tested - 3 Test Given
Drug Test Result - Negative
EMS Agency Name - BODY REMOVAL
Narrative - 01 was traveling on northbound State Road 25 ( W. Okeechobee RD) north of NW 170th St in the outside lane. NM01 was standing/walking on the southbound side of State Road 25 (W Okeechobee Road) in the outside lane. According to the witness, Driver 1 made a U-turn and was directly in front of her vehicle when he struck NM01 after NM01 jumped in front of the vehicle. V01's front right bumper struck NM01 causing his lower portion to sever and come to final rest on the right shoulder. NM01's left foot below the knee, came to final rest in the center of the roadway. NM01's right foot below the knee came to final rest in the grass on the right shoulder. NM01's upper torso was located in the front right passenger floorboard.
n June 18, 2021, I was notified by Cpl. C.Gracey, that the Traffic Homicide Investigation was completed and submitted. At this time, the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's Office utilized facial reconstruction in an attempt to identify the pedestrian. As of today's date, this has been unsuccessful. Finger prints and facial reconstruction have returned no results. The reconstructive facial document was distributed through social media, local law enforcement agencies and news media. The two leads (bolded by me) were followed up to determine if they were the pedestrian. Both were determined not to be the pedestrian. This report is being submitted and will be updated if further information arises.
View attachment 332832
Gruesome report. One question, were the BAC and drug tests administered to the driver or the UID?

Gruesome report. One question, were the BAC and drug tests administered to the driver or the UID?
It's specified that the tests were given to the UID, and none were given to the 18 y/o driver (poor kid, I feel so bad, imagine just getting your license and something like this happens!).
I also misspoke (mistyped?) earlier but i can't edit it; 3 tests weren't given, I believe '3' is just the input code, I think a singular blood test was done as part of the tox screen. IMO a lot of people drink or use prior to committing suicide to make it 'easier' to do, if they have access to such substances, I'm surprised he had absolutely nothing of note in his system.

bumping
Looking at MPs uploaded to NamUs since I last posted here... there are a couple guys I want to bring up, I'd love to hear what you guys think.
Anthony Carroll - DLC Jan 7, 2021, from Memphis (15 hr drive). 60 y/o, 5'7", 170lbs, has partially grey hair. Lived in a rooming house due to prior addiction issues but was doing relatively well. I especially mention him because Anthony is visually impaired due to glaucoma - the UID is said to have arcus senilis. Both are eye conditions causing graying/cloudiness which may look similar. I have no idea why he would have ended up in FL, though.
1660522417181.png1660522726514.png1660522747636.png

Joe Samuel Whitson - DLC Dec 29 2020/Jan 4 2021/ Jan 24 2021 (I've seen all listed), from Talladega AL (12hr drive). 63 y/o, 5'8-5'10", said to have 'black' hair though I can only find that photo of him bald. Was apparently dropped off at his house after his mother's funeral on the 29th, and had no further contact with anyone. Only reported missing March 2021. I'm not sure what the discrepancy in DLC dates are from; perhaps a friend or neighbor did see him on the 4th? Which was entered incorrectly as the 24th on NamUs? He might have been despondent following the death of his mother. This would only 'work' imo if he DOES actually have hair, and it grew quick in the time between the funeral and the 24th.
1660523230372.png

bumping
Looking at MPs uploaded to NamUs since I last posted here... there are a couple guys I want to bring up, I'd love to hear what you guys think.
Anthony Carroll - DLC Jan 7, 2021, from Memphis (15 hr drive). 60 y/o, 5'7", 170lbs, has partially grey hair. Lived in a rooming house due to prior addiction issues but was doing relatively well. I especially mention him because Anthony is visually impaired due to glaucoma - the UID is said to have arcus senilis. Both are eye conditions causing graying/cloudiness which may look similar. I have no idea why he would have ended up in FL, though.
View attachment 359679View attachment 359680View attachment 359681

Joe Samuel Whitson - DLC Dec 29 2020/Jan 4 2021/ Jan 24 2021 (I've seen all listed), from Talladega AL (12hr drive). 63 y/o, 5'8-5'10", said to have 'black' hair though I can only find that photo of him bald. Was apparently dropped off at his house after his mother's funeral on the 29th, and had no further contact with anyone. Only reported missing March 2021. I'm not sure what the discrepancy in DLC dates are from; perhaps a friend or neighbor did see him on the 4th? Which was entered incorrectly as the 24th on NamUs? He might have been despondent following the death of his mother. This would only 'work' imo if he DOES actually have hair, and it grew quick in the time between the funeral and the 24th.
View attachment 359683
While the basic stats (height, weight, age, sex, race) line up, I don't think the finer details do.

Both are from very far away; this isn't a 100% rule-out, of course, but it makes it less likely.

Mr. Carroll has much longer ears than the decedent, with tips that slightly stick out from his head; John Doe has small, close-lying ears. He also has a somewhat softer nose than the decedent. Hair-wise, Mr. Carroll also appears to be completely bald and have much sparser eyebrows. Also, if he struggled with addiction for a long time, it's likely that some effects would show up on autopsy--cirrhosis, hepatitis, heart disease, that sort of thing. This Doe was in good shape.

Mr. Whitson's features are harder to make out, but he does have a much longer head shape than John Doe. He also appears to be completely bald.

Personally, I think this Doe was at least somewhat local. Maybe he had been visiting a grave at the Muslim Cemetery nearby.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back