FL FL - Miami Lakes, Wht Fem 25-35 UP6098 found in lake Oct 96

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by Moonwalker9, Aug 4, 2019.

1. MagicCityMan

MagicCityMan Active Member

Still no reply to your post. Did you see in the blog where it said that he wouldn't look at his victim's sister when she made her impact statement?? That gave me a chill. Kinda consistent with covering the face of your victim as your putting her in a box. I'm starting to think @snowgoose is right on the money but I just can't figure out how LE wouldn't have made the connection already in 25 years.
    Purely speculating of course....

dotr, MadMcGoo and snowgoose like this.

2. snowgoose

snowgoose Well-Known Member

No reply yet from the emails I sent. If I have time later this week I might try another search for relevant contacts and send a couple more emails. However, I found a site mentioning that Jane Doe had "plastic dental fillings typical of South American dentists" (source: A CLOSER LOOK CASE # 785 UFFL 1996 W/H 25 to 35 yrs.) which if true makes it less likely to be Linda Fledderman. Although those assumptions about dental work specific to different parts of the world have been wrong before.

I agree that the shirt wrapped around Jane Doe's head suggests the killer didn't want to see her face, but I don't think it was necessarily his own shirt. I would think it's more likely to belong to the victim since the killer would know that his own shirt could be incriminating evidence, and I can think of other cases where victims were restrained with or wrapped up in their own clothes. Then again, it was size large, and Jane Doe was small, and the design does sound more like a man's shirt.

Either way, it doesn't really get us anywhere since it seems to be an older cheap clothing brand that has left no trace on the Internet (I tried googling it too).

3. MagicCityMan

South American would make a lot of sense. There are, of course, many many people from South America in Miami. A lot of countries in South America have significant white populations...think Argentina, Brazil, Venezuela, Paraguay etc. People sometimes seem to be confused by that. You can be 100% white and still be hispanic. If she is Brazilian then she wouldn't even technically be hispanic at all.
    It could be that she had no other family here and the husband said "she left me and I have no idea where she is" or even told them she passed away of natural causes and her family didn't have the means or know how to look into it any further. Meanwhile, he tells friends and family here that she went back to her country of origin.
    This could make it difficult to ID her because even DNA might not get any hits

renee_ellis, vspin and snowgoose like this.
  4. MagicCityMan

So sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks for the welcome!

MadMcGoo and snowgoose like this.
  5. snowgoose

I got a reply today from Carrie Sutherland of NamUs. She says they'll review the information and notify the investigating agencies, and of course results of any comparison may not be made public.

So nothing new to report, but still wonderful to hear that the suggestion is being followed up.

vspin, MagicCityMan and PayrollNerd like this.
  6. MagicCityMan

The Louise Fledderman suggestion?

7. snowgoose

Yeah, sorry, I meant Linda Louise Fledderman, discussed upthread :)

MagicCityMan likes this.
  8. MagicCityMan

That's great !

9. snowgoose

Her NamUs page was updated June 3rd, can anyone see if they updated the rule-out list?

MagicCityMan and PayrollNerd like this.
  10. vspin

vspin Member

Yeah. I looked and Linda Louise Fledderman is now ruled out.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  11. MagicCityMan

It is encouraging that they took the time to make the comparison based on the suggestion of @snowgoose. If the odontological opinion of the fillings being South American is accurate this may be a difficult case to solve .

vspin and snowgoose like this.
  12. snowgoose

Thank you for confirming! I'm glad they followed through and checked, even though it wasn't a match.

It's sad that this case gets so little attention. I wish DNA Doe Project or one of the other forensic genealogy companies would take it on.

vspin and renee_ellis like this.
  13. MagicCityMan

Drove directly next to where this young woman was found in a box today so I figured I'd give it the old bumparooski. One ammendment I will make to something I posted earlier: no way the box floated down the canal to that spot. I took note of everything floating in that canal for a mile in from the discovery point and nothing moves at all. No current whatsoever...palm fronds, 2x4s just sitting still. Whomever put that box in the water did so exactly where she was found which was quite bold considering the apartment complex right behind the canal with plenty of windows overlooking.