FL FL - Miami, WhtMale 662UMFL, 16-20, blonde, alias 'Bobby Copeland', Jan'88

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by Babyslims, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Babyslims

Babyslims New Member

I tried to search but nothing came up. (I know I've seen stuff about this john doe before, just cant think of where)
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/662umfl.html

Case File 662UMFL

• The victim was discovered on January 5, 1988 in Miami, Dade County, Florida
    • Cause of Death: Homicide
    Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 16-20 years old
    • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'6" (168 cm); 153 lbs (69 kg) .
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: Blond hair; brown or gray eyes. He had scars on his left forearm, right forearm, right thigh, and on both wrists.
    • Other: He had given his name to others as "Robert" or "Bobby Copeland" and claimed he was a foster child from NY State, but searches under that name have been unproductive.
    Case History
    The victim was located in a hotel in Miami, Florida on January 5, 1988. At the time, he was working with a group of young persons as a magazine subscription salesman

Was wondering if this missing person could possibly be him.. Just thought i'd check or see if anyone who's looked at either of these cases might know if its been ruled out?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...aseNum=601937&orgPrefix=NCMC&searchLang=en_US

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/102dmfl.html

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/w/wetmore_chester.html

[SIZE=+1]CHESTER WETMORE
    Case Type: Endangered Missing DOB: Aug 21, 1971Sex: MaleMissing Date: May 27, 1986Race: WhiteAge Now: 35Height: 5'8" (173 cm)Missing City: BRADENTONWeight: 130 lbs (59 kg)Missing State : FLHair Color: BrownMissing Country: United StatesEye Color: BrownCase Number: NCMC601937Circumstances: Chester was last seen leaving his home on the evening of May 27, 1986. He was wearing jeans, a blue checkered shirt and boots.
    [/SIZE]

2. Loading...

3. Ms Suzanne

Ms Suzanne Active Member

4. Ms Suzanne

Ms Suzanne Active Member

5. Ms Suzanne

Ms Suzanne Active Member

6. Bluecat

Bluecat New Member

Wonder why they had to do a reconstruction if he was found in a hotel? Also, if he was a foster kid (possible - my friends were able to bring their foster child to live in Maryland when they moved from Florida), he may have been using the same last name as his foster parents. However, given that it doesn't look like anyone was searching for him, he was more likely a street kid IMO. Will have to look through photos of missing kids - seems like the combination of blond hair and grey eyes might be unusual.

7. Mr. E

Mr. E New Member

Are there so many missing/unaccounted for foster children in NY that it would be impossible to compare him to all that might match, even if the name doesn't?

8. Babyslims

Babyslims New Member

Thanks for the links suzanne! Still trying to see if I cant find an article or something on this other guy...

Really hate how they dont put much information out there grrr!!!

9. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

https://identifyus.org/cases/1212

Ruleouts include
    Steven Anderson 1957 New Jersey
    Steve Arrowood 1956 North Carolina
    Rogelio Cerda 1959 Texas
    Michael Gaughan 1957 Texas
    Reed Jeppson 1949 Utah
    Danny Jones 1959 Texas
    Robert Keck 1963 Pennsylvania
    John Kinsora 1963 Arizona
    Randall Leach 1960 Idaho
    Darrel Nichols 1955 Utah
    Brian Page 1958 Oregon
    Tom Starkel 1960 California
    Mitchel Weiser 1956 New York

Chester Wetmore's stats are given alternatively as 5'8; 130 pounds (Doe) or 6'0 145 pounds (Charley), both slightly taller than the UID who was 5'6 and 153 pounds.

10. Irish_Eyes

Irish_Eyes New Member

James Barnes, currently on death row, is being interviewed in the new documentary series on death row inmates on Discovery ID. I just heard James claim responsibility for two murders, Chester being one. The other was an unsolved murder where he dumped the body, and the filmmaker was able to check with authorities and where he said he left the body of the female victim was exactly where the victim was found.

Barnes claims he buried Chester. I'm inclined to believe him. He seems to blame the victims for their own deaths as much as he blames himself (he dubiously claims that the female victim stole his wallet, and that Chester stole from him also.) But if they were able to verify he was telling the truth about one of his unknown victims, I think it's likely he may be telling the truth about the other.

11. kpdx

kpdx Jane Doe was discovered Aug. 14, 1977 outside of E

I contacted NAMUS case manager for UID to see if they could run DNA against Chester Wetmore...before I saw the thread. In any case, if we can positively rule him out that would at least prevent someone else spinning wheels.

12. Beamie

Beamie Member

He always looked like a Daniel to me.
    But do we know how he died? And this isn't the first time something happens to a magazine seller. I've heard about atleast 3 other cases where travelling magazine sellers either have been killed or have disappeared

13. Reux

Reux New Member

14. Ambercat

Ambercat New Member

This kid looks so familiar -- I just can't place where I saw him (as a missing person).

15. Ambercat

Ambercat New Member

16. rainwater

rainwater New Member

The real Bobby Copeland is a noted book author who primarily specializes in writing about Western/cowboy movies. He specializes in writing about the actors who starred in the B westerns. He became fascinated with the B westerns at a very young age.

Link: http://www.cowboydirectory.com/C/Copeland_Bobby/Copeland__Bobby.html

He is also a frequent speaker at cowboy conventions and cowboy film festivals, and helped get at least one person into the Cowboy Hall of Fame.

I wonder if the UID liked cowboy movies, was from a "cowboy state" such as MT, WY, or the Dakotas; or had some connection to the Oak Ridge, Tennessee area, where Bobby Copeland is from.

17. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

Chester Wetmore is now on the ruleouts list https://identifyus.org/cases/1212

Exclusions
    The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:

First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA

Steven Anderson 1957 New Jersey
    Steve Arrowood 1956 North Carolina
    Rogelio Cerda 1959 Texas
    Michael Gaughan 1957 Texas
    Reed Jeppson 1949 Utah
    Danny Jones 1959 Texas
    Robert Keck 1963 Pennsylvania
    John Kinsora 1963 Arizona
    Randall Leach 1960 Idaho
    Darrel Nichols 1955 Utah
    Brian Page 1958 Oregon
    Tom Starkel 1960 California
    Mitchel Weiser 1956 New York
    Chester Wetmore 1971 Florida

18. Migmuu

Migmuu Member

IMO the reconstruction looks like he could possibly be younger than the 16 - 20 age range. If I saw only the second reconstruction I'd guess he was 13 - 14.

19. nevereverever

nevereverever Verified Attorney

If he was a foster kid, it's entirely possible that no one was really looking for him, especially if he had aged out of the system before he disappeared. He might've had no family at all.

Also, they may have had to do a reconstruction because he was shot.

20. nevereverever

The picture doesn't particularly resemble him, but other descriptors seem like they could...
    Christian Boldt https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/21072/9/

Also, this one looks a little more like him. I know his height is listed as 6', but I know those measurements can be off. Also, he apparently stole and forged some of his dad's checks before he left home, so that might be why he was hiding his ID/saying he was a foster kid. He had scars on both his wrists, and although he had a tattoo, it was on his left forearm, and the UID had a scar on his left forearm, so maybe he had it removed (again, possibly trying to not be found)?
    John Nellans https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8773/13/

What do y'all think? I'll keep looking.

21. nevereverever

Ok, last one before bed. Gosh, it's hard to compare pictures, especially if the kid was a lot younger when he disappeared. Anyway, can't say much for the resemblance here, but the boy ran away from a boys home in KY in 1983 when he was 12. He had a birthmark, but I don't know how noticeable it was.
    Chipley Sanders https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/5011/39/