FL - Nancy Bruneau, 62, gruesome murder, Hollywood Lakes, 30 Oct 2010 *son arrested*

It's not easy to commit someone even if they are a danger to themselves or others. Money and insurance are a huge issue.
This story hits very close to home for me..... and scares me at the same time.

Money and insurance are ridiculously important in cases like this. A young man I know was threatening suicide, was brought to the emergency room of a local hospital. He had no insurance, but the hospital was obligated to keep him until he was "stable" or until a bed could be found in a mental health facility.

No mental health facility would take him, all claimed to be full. At 12:30 AM, a doctor walked into this young man's treatment room and asked "Are you going to kill yourself RIGHT NOW?" Young man says "not right now" and they walked him to the exit of the hospital ALONE, in the middle of the night, with no shoes, no coat, no money.....

Our system seriously stinks regarding treatment of mental health issues.

God bless this mother, her daughter AND her son. He sounds like a tortured soul.

My heart goes out to the family. I know their pain has got to be extreme aso I keep them in my prayers.

It was interesting reading comments on the Baker Act, I didn't know the name of it before although I knew people could be committed involuntarily if they are a danger to themselves or others.

Here are nine news items that show how the Baker Act was utilized in different situations. I found it kind of interesting reading these. I've tweaked my spider to look for more of these kind of news stories in the future.

http://bit.ly/cDXLIp

We have not had long term mental health facilities for a very long while - I think Reagan cut the funding, and thus that part of the system became defunct.

Baker Acting is a tool used to prevent immediate harm to oneself or those around. In some areas, the BA is extended to a 14 day involuntary hold, and a second one can be initiated, followed by a hearing in a courtroom regarding competency; sometimes (although really rarely) a person is committed for 180 days, but that is not a common occurance. Most times, however, that plan is not followed...because there is no bed in one of the mental health facilities maintained by private insurance companies or county facilities.

If there is no bed, the person can be released...and it's always a difficult decision to do so.

Please remember that ERs don't have the capabilities to handle a Baker Act situation. In my hospital, we do...and we have a special ward for psychiatric patients who also have a medical complaint. But that's not what's at the hospitals elsewhere near me; I am at the county facility.

I've known some very disturbed, ill people. I have done rotations in psych facilities, and attended many NAMI meetings.

I am so very sorry that this happened to the Mother, and hold everyone up in prayer for healing. Please relay to Amber that, no matter what else, she is NOT alone, she could not have prevented this, and that she is in no way responsible. If you'd send that note to her, TL, I'd very much appreciate it.

God bless this entire family...and welcome Nancy Home with joyous celebration and everlasting peace and love.

Best-
Herding Cats

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21002952639334/

December 8, 2010

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (WSVN) -- A 29-year-old man appeared in court Wednesday to face first degree murder charge.

Beau Bruneau pleaded not guilty to accusations he killed his own mother in late October. Hollywood Police found Nancy Bruneau in the front yard of a house on South 14th Avenue, near Van Buren Street, with severe head trauma after a neighbor called 911.

(Note date on article. This is the most recent news I could find on this case.)

Novel "Grognard" linked to grisly murder in author's hometown

http://www.prlog.org/11048525-novel...rder-in-authors-hometown-of-hollywood-fl.html

Author's plot may have inspired real-life murder

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/11/14/1926373/authors-plot-may-have-inspired.html

(Some interesting comments about the author, following the story.)

Thanks, Philly and Goz...I'll pass those wishes on to her and hers. I know that the memorial service went nicely, although I wasn't able to attend (VA). One good thing is that Hollywood has that "small town" feel...even wedged between Miami and Ft. Laud - everyone kinda knows everyone. Just so sad, but I'm glad she has support. Friends flooded her page. For that, I am so grateful.

Any donations were to help cover the funeral and the rest went to The National Alliance for Mentally Ill (NAMI). Amber is a brave girl. She's always been a super positive person. When I was about 12, I really thought she was the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen -Marilyn Monroe material - inside and out. Haven't met anyone like her ever again.

Thanks for being so nice, guys. I'm sure she'll appreciate your thoughts.

xoxo

ETA: I messaged Amber and sent your warm wishes and asked if I could post a pic of of her and her mom, and from the memorial service.

Any news on how this case is proceeding? I can't find any updates anywhere.
Total news blackout, and I can not access the county court records online.

It's been a year-and-a-half since Beau Bruneau appeared in court.

Have you heard anything??

I finally figured out the Broward County court records system. You have to enter his entire name, Beau Henri Bruneau, to get any information on the case.

Bruneau has a "Status conference" scheduled for July 19, 2012. I'm assuming it will be quite some time before an actual trial takes place.

Updating this case: a search of Broward County court records reveals the case against Beau Bruneau is now in their "Mental Health Court", and there are no scheduled hearings at this time. I will check back now and then to see if there's any progress.

I'll ask around...don't want to ask amber around the holidays. Glad beau's case is in mental health court - I deal with our patients' mental health court stuff weekly. I'm positive it is what the family would want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's some sort of competency hearing scheduled for June 2nd. No other details.

It has been over three-and-a-half years since his arrest.

The case is still in "Mental Health Court" and there are no scheduled hearings at this time.

Who knows how many more months/years before this will come to trial. It will be five years in October since his arrest.

The incredible delays that we see so often in these cases are absurd.

Bruneau was judged incompetent to stand trial on December 10, 2014 and confined to a state hospital.

I'll check back from time to time for any changes.

from Broward County Court Records...

The court ruled on April 5, 2017 that Bruneau is incompetent to stand trial or even enter a plea at this time. I'm assuming he'll continue to be confined to a mental hospital and receive whatever treatment is needed to regain his competency, if that's even possible.

I will check back from time to time.

Nothing new to report, just more hearings and multiple "unavailability of counsel" notations. The good news is, if he's ever ruled competent, he will be tried. But who knows how many more years/decades that might take.

The number of hearings, court orders, etc in this case is staggering. It has been almost seven years since this gruesome and disturbing crime.

https://www.browardclerk.org/Web2/C...l4FkMV8pqI=&caseNum=10019320CF10A&category=CR

anybody have any updates on this case, is he still classed as incompetent to stand trial

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back