FL FL - NFL Players missing off Clearwater Pass - Boat capsized - 28 Feb 2009

Oh Roxanne, I am so sorry to read that your nephew is also on that boat. My prayers for all of these men and their friends and family. Praying they are found safe and brought home. Big hugs for you Roxanne.

Roxanne, I'm so sorry to hear your nephew is one of the missing boaters.

Prayers for all involved.

fran

Roxanne,prayers to you and your family. I hope they will be all be found soon.

Roxanne, my heart goes out to you! I am praying praying praying for all of the men on the boat as well as their friends and families. Maybe this gentleman from Megabite Charters will be the answer to those prayers...good find MomofBoys!

Roxanne, praying for the safe return of all aboard. You and your family are also in my thoughts and prayers for a good outcome.

Thanks again for keeping Nick in your thoughts and prayers. The weather is much better today for searching. I'm feeling optimistic this morning...

Searching the Barrier islands is a wonderful idea. I was thinking about this last night, I live in Tarpon Springs. There are alot of little islands out there, 3 rooker bar, egmont key, etc. Yesterday was pretty nasty so I am sure that other boaters will be out there today fishing and going to the barrier islands and I am praying that they will be found okay.

MomofBoys...THANK YOU again for the info. Just wanted you to know that my BIL is contacting George from megabitecharters and he thanks you for posting that info here!!

I'm so glad! I think I might know Captain George--I work in the hotel business and he comes in with pamphlets and he's such a sincere, nice guy. I hope he can help provide you with info and some insight. I live across the street from St. Joseph Sound, and like Clearwater Pass it feeds Clearwater Harbor. Last I heard, the Coast Guard is searching two hundred and something square miles, which sounds like a lot, but in the open Gulf it's like searching for a needle in a haystack. If they've been on a continual drift back toward shore, they could be a hour south but still unable to reach land.

The fortunate thing is Clearwater is home to a major Coast Guard base, and the Coast Guard is pretty tireless. If this had to happen anywhere, it's a good spot. I'm glad they contacted Captain George and that the information might help. I continue to pray for your family, and the family of the other men.

Keep us updated! Every time I refresh Baynews9 I hope to see positive resolution.

I live in Tarpon Springs. There are alot of little islands out there, 3 rooker bar, egmont key, etc. Yesterday was pretty nasty so I am sure that other boaters will be out there today fishing and going to the barrier islands and I am praying that they will be found okay.

That's a really good point. I keep thinking if they are only 10 or 15 miles out, then your casual Sunday boaters were unlikely to find them. Yesterday was definitely not boating weather. So hopefully when they start running charters or sponge fishing or dolphin-sighting, maybe someone will happen across a disabled, but still upright boat with four guys in it. :)

Interesting, fox news said that Nicks dad told them they guys went out fishing the weekend before to some reef/ship wreck about 50 miles out because of the fish being abundant there. I am not familiar with this reef but maybe Nicks dad can talk to Capt George to see if he knows about this area? See if there are any spoils or barrier islands near there.

Shipwrecks and Reefs

Sleuthster, want to help me look through these? LOL. Who knew there were so many!?

West central Florida locations: http://www.treasuresites.com/members/wcf.htm

I can't quite figure out the organization on some parts of the site, though, so I'm just skimming all of them.

Meh. the second link isn't very wreck-oriented. Back to the eye-blurring list format.

Okay calculated it, 50 miles

28°59′26″N, 081°52′35″W 030°07′26″

edit, wait that would be in the center of the state oops.wrong way.

I'm so glad! I think I might know Captain George--I work in the hotel business and he comes in with pamphlets and he's such a sincere, nice guy. I hope he can help provide you with info and some insight. I live across the street from St. Joseph Sound, and like Clearwater Pass it feeds Clearwater Harbor. Last I heard, the Coast Guard is searching two hundred and something square miles, which sounds like a lot, but in the open Gulf it's like searching for a needle in a haystack. If they've been on a continual drift back toward shore, they could be a hour south but still unable to reach land.

The fortunate thing is Clearwater is home to a major Coast Guard base, and the Coast Guard is pretty tireless. If this had to happen anywhere, it's a good spot. I'm glad they contacted Captain George and that the information might help. I continue to pray for your family, and the family of the other men.

It also helps that there are two famous NFL players on the boat...

Keep us updated! Every time I refresh Baynews9 I hope to see positive resolution.

I will...I'm wearing out my refresh button today on all of the news sites.

That's a really good point. I keep thinking if they are only 10 or 15 miles out, then your casual Sunday boaters were unlikely to find them. Yesterday was definitely not boating weather. So hopefully when they start running charters or sponge fishing or dolphin-sighting, maybe someone will happen across a disabled, but still upright boat with four guys in it. :)

THAT would be wonderful!!!!

Okay, there are 4 that I found 20-30 miles out,
Seaducer, Belmont, Empress Ann, Gulfport.
30 ish miles out That's A My Boat. This one gave me the willys because it it almost straight out from Downtown Clearwater where they went out from. Strange that they went out from there since they live in Odessa.

35-60 miles out, Gun Smoke, Blue Stack 79. (click on open gulf to see these).

Gosh, You dont realize how big the gulf is even though you live here.

Wow, That's A My Boat looks really plausible.

THATS-A-MY-BOAT
Distance 0.00 Miles 0.00 Nautical Miles 0.00 kilometers
Heading NA NA°
Type Submerged wreck dangerous to surface navigation
Latitude 27.94391° 27° 56.65' N 27° 56' 39" N
Longitude -83.02511° 83° 1.5' W 83° 1' 30" W
Chart # 11400 AWOIS 199 Accuracy: Poor
History 00199 LNM31/77--UNKNOWN TYPE VESSEL REPORTED SUNK ABOUT 10 MILES OFF SHORE BETWEEN ANCLOTE KEYS AND INDIAN ROCKS BEACH AT . DOUBTFUL 27-56-37N 83-01-31W. LNM23/83--WK SUNK IN 1977 STILL REMAINS APPROX. LAT.27-56-37N LONG.83-01-03W.

It says 10 miles offshore, but the coordinates don't back that up. I guess that's why it says doubtful. I'm a little slow, lol.

Wow, That's A My Boat looks really plausible.

It says 10 miles offshore, but the coordinates don't back that up. I guess that's why it says doubtful. I'm a little slow, lol.

There's a map right underneath that shows the wreck is next to something called obstn fish haven.

I saw that! It sounds just like the scenario that they described, really, and it would put them much closer to shore.

Remeber the story of the 5 fishermen found alive in the Pacific after being lost for 5 weeks.

I have hope. They will be found and they will have tales to tell for sometime to come.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back