Found Deceased FL - Nicki Virginia Lee Elkins, 16, Miami, Feb 14, 1981

According to Samantha Steinberg's Facial Identification FB page, Nikki Elkins has been identified as Glades County Jane Doe!

Attachments

• Nikki Elkins recovered.JPG
    Nikki Elkins recovered.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 87
  • reovered.JPG
    reovered.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
According to Samantha Steinberg's Facial Identification FB page, Nikki Elkiins has been identified as Glades Run Jane Doe!
Wonderful for her and her family!!! Now to hear the back story and find out if it was a homicide. I suspect it was and maybe there are some old interviews to review. Perhaps the boyfriend is still living.

Wonderful for her and her family!!! Now to hear the back story and find out if it was a homicide. I suspect it was and maybe there are some old interviews to review. Perhaps the boyfriend is still living.
Yes! I am definitely wondering what the back story is along with why she wasn't entered into NamUs or any other National Database until this year. I am glad her family can have some closure.

WOW! That’s fantastic! Hoping to learn what happened- an that she has a proper resting place. Does she still have living family?
Samantha Steinberg posted on FB that she is glad that Nikki's mother will finally have closure. - I wish i knew more about Nikki and what her situation was when she went missing, other than running away.

Posted today.

Never Forget Me

Great job Steinberg's Facial Identification Catalogs

Going home ✝️

Florida - Glades County Sheriff's Office and District 21 Medical Examiner's case 1981-00145 has been positively identified as Nicki Virginia Lee Elkins. I (Samantha Steinberg) am so happy that her Mother will finally be able to bring her daughter home. RIP Nicki Elkins.

Those canals are all connected and she could have floated in from anywhere. However, this was "winter" in FL which means very little rain. I'm thinking she wasn't far away from where she entered the water. It's very possible she hitched a ride with an agriculture truck, from Miami, north up Hwy 27 and into the Lake Okeechobee area.

20 cm medium redish hair is about 7-8" in length. The UID drawings have darker hair than the photos but they could be old.

I wonder why she was wearing men's jeans (Blue jeans with "J.C. Penny" label, size 32 x 31). Women's jeans are not generally labeled by width/length. Were they hers or did someone put them on her?

View attachment 243006
I think some jean's were unisex at the time or females commonly wore male jean's. May have been how Levi brand was made.

Well done @chaddylex and RIP Ms Elkins

Thank you - I really don't know if I was the first person to put the two and two together but as soon as I saw Nikki's NamUs profile I submitted the possible match. Law Enforcement was probably already looking at Jane Doe's to be matched to Nikki since she went missing so long ago. It's so sad it took 39 years for her remains to be identified.

Remains of missing Florida teen identified 39 years later

The Glades County Sheriff's Office says they have identified a missing teen remains almost 40 years after her disappearance.

The remains were confirmed to be those of 16-year-old Nicki Elkins.

Investigators say Elkins left her family's house in Miami on Valentine's Day of 1981 to visit her boyfriend and disappeared.

In March of 1981, investigators say the remains of an unknown female victim were found in nearby Glades County.
---
Potential comparison between Glades County’s Jane Doe case and Miami-Dade’s Nicki Elkins case, noting similar physical attributes, time periods, and the presence of a small “N” tattoo on each woman’s thumb.

Investigators say DNA samples from Jane Doe and Nicki Elkins’ family members were compared and identified as Nicki.

Glades County Sheriff’s Office says they are now facing the task of solving the decades-old homicide.

Remains of missing Florida teen identified 39 years later

I wonder how serious the alleged fight with the relative was.
And what it was alleged to be over.
And the dynamics of the home.
And reason for delay in reporting.
BF info. Witnesses.

I hope detectives take the case seriously, and start with verified facts.
Too easy to say she left.
KA, her suitcase, and former stepdad, comes to mind.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151
Back