FL FL - Port St Joe, 2 Children 96UMFL & 66UFFL, bound & gagged in photo, Jun'89

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by Venom Goose, Jul 31, 2009.

1. sony12

sony12 Well-Known Member

I think a lot of those photos were just sent by trolls wanting to stir things up. I know the other pictures that have been sent regarding the girl in the van photo and Tara Calico look really nothing like either girl. A couple of them look extremely staged and it seems to just be a couple people goofing off. And another one is just a close up image of a girls face seemingly lying naked on the bed with tape over her mouth. She doesn't look much like either girl anyway and there also would be no way of knowing if that is even real or if it is just a couple messing around with a camera while in bed.

The only image that in my opinion looks anything close to any of the potential missing individuals is that one pic of the boy that was sent with someone using black marker where his face was. And honestly who really knows if that was even real. Lots of kids around that age looked like that during the '80's and '90's. Both cases were well known by the time that photo was sent so it easily could have just been someone playing a joke.

2. thebigcookie

thebigcookie Member

I have read through all the posts in this thread over the last day or so. I am pretty much convinced the girl in the photo is not Tara. She just seems too young. I am under the impression also that the children in the Polaroid were never missing. Upon first glance the photo looks disturbing but after a while and seeing others thoughts on it, I think it was a family on vacation. Seems strange a kidnapper would have the back of the van set up that way and the definitely don’t appeared to be tied up and the tape only covers their mouth and doesn’t cover their whole face. The book is the only convincing item, but then again it sounds like VC Andrews was extremely popular back then. I never read any of her books I’m a guy that was born in 1990 after this happened. Honestly doesn’t sound like anything I would want to read either. Seems like they were playing a game or something to pass time and someone took a picture that fell out. Seems like I may have played a quiet game somewhere as a kid where we put tape on our face so they were probably doing something similar.

I also wonder how this photo got connected to Tara’s case in the first place. Was her case known nationwide at the time or only locally in New Mexico? Belen is in the Albuquerque/Santa Fe television market so it would have been on those stations. Also Port St Joe is in the Panama City television market. Her mother was probably convinced it was her because she wanted to keep hope alive. I don’t even see the scar the mother mentioned. Must be something you would really have to be looking for to know it was there. I think she was hit and killed on her bike, whether it was on purpose or an accident, then her body was hidden somewhere there to cover up what happened. I don’t believe those other two pictures are her either. The one from the California construction site is strange and disturbing as well but it’s not even the same girl as the first Polaroid and her mother thought it was. That third photo on the Amtrak train seems even stranger. The woman in it is wearing glasses. Earlier I read Tara had a lazy eye, but do we know if she ever wore glasses sometimes? Also the man seems to be joking around and we see a Diet Sprite can, a pair of sunglasses, and a carton of cigarettes on the tray. I don’t think this is connected to her either.

ilovepierre, dotr, chatnoir84 and 2 others like this.
  3. chatnoir84

chatnoir84 Amateur Sleuth

I don't recall the case being nationwide, maybe on Unsolved Mysteries, but I didn't hear about this case until I was an adult. I do hope this was a gag photo, but you never know. VC Andrew's was very popular in the early 90s, but I don't recommend the books, too dark.

dotr likes this.
  4. ThePhantom

ThePhantom Well-Known Member

I believe similar photos were mailed to the Belen police department on one of the "anniversaries" of Tara's disappearance, as well as to a local church. Does anyone else recall this?

dotr likes this.
  5. sony12

sony12 Well-Known Member

The reason why this photo got connected to the Tara Calico case is pretty much because of Tara's mother. They broadcast the story of the polaroid on 'Current Affairs' and some of Tara's mothers friends saw it and contacted her thinking the girl may have resembled Tara and she was adamant about it being Tara from then on after.

Yeah and I think the chances that these kids were ever 'officially' missing is pretty slim. Sure they may have had some weird parents or guardians but if they were officially missing children that had been reported as missing other leads (and better leads) would have come up by now.

Lol, and I commend you for reading through all 45 pages of this thread as there is virtually no substance and all speculation during the 10+ years this thread has been going on. There are probably lots of photos out there of kids tied up but we just never hear about them because they never got attached to any official cases like this one did-some are real but most probably aren't- people liked to joke around with pictures back then the same way people like to joke around with videos now.

dotr and Gravity Well like this.
  6. sony12

sony12 Well-Known Member

And one thing in regards to the book. Those authors books were kind of like what the Twilight series is today. Way too popular of a book amongst teens to take any substantial clues from it.

7. sony12

sony12 Well-Known Member

Lol, looks like everyone got tuckered out in trying to decipher what a book and water bottle are supposed to mean in a 30+ year old picture.

Gravity Well and dotr like this.
  8. aThousandYearsWide

aThousandYearsWide Well-Known Member

They had tied up pictures in the Johnny Gosch case too. I dont remember if they positively ID'd him in the pictures or not but he was wearing similar sweatpants when he disappeared. This was also in the 80's.

ThePhantom likes this.