FL - Quarter-sized gallinippers to invade Sunshine State, entomologists predict

SpidersDontFly.jpg
Wolf spiders jump

rid-palmetto-bugs-800x800.jpg

This Palmetto bug is about the size of the roach that was in the pocket of my smock which was hanging in the breakroom in the basement at walgreens.

I took my smock off the hanger and saw something move, I threw it on the floor and kinda moved the smock with my foot and saw it.

It was flatter than the palmetto bug but it was so big that at first I thought it was a plastic joke bug untill it moved again. I screamed and my manager came running in and smashed it with his shoe.

I'll NEVER forget the CRUNCH it made! Oh the NASTINESS!

Uggh!
th

Ackkkkk that is huge. :scared:

Just Judy :floorlaugh:

Meanwhile, neighbors rang our apt doorbell last night to let us know there was a copperhead snake on the walkway outside our door (guy had to get pretty close to it to ring the doorbell!).

I called the leasing office to let them know, and they let me know they're also having problems with...aggressive mockingbirds...who are attacking residents who get too close to their nest and young. Apparently the maintenance guy tried to move a nest and got beat up.

Meanwhile, neighbors rang our apt doorbell last night to let us know there was a copperhead snake on the walkway outside our door (guy had to get pretty close to it to ring the doorbell!).

I called the leasing office to let them know, and they let me know they're also having problems with...aggressive mockingbirds...who are attacking residents who get too close to their nest and young. Apparently the maintenance guy tried to move a nest and got beat up.

The copperhead is scary enough! Those mockingbirds however, can get pretty nasty!

http://www.kcet.org/news/the_back_forty/wildlife/listen-to-the-mockingbird.html

Here's an article about how to get rid of them.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5721105_rid-aggressive-mocking-birds.html

Good luck and be careful out there!

The copperhead is scary enough! Those mockingbirds however, can get pretty nasty!

http://www.kcet.org/news/the_back_forty/wildlife/listen-to-the-mockingbird.html

Here's an article about how to get rid of them.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5721105_rid-aggressive-mocking-birds.html

Wow, I had no idea this was a thing! I couldn't stop laughing when the leasing office lady was telling me the story, I had to apologize.

We also get hordes of Canadian geese here. They like to slowly cross busy intersections in the morning during rush hour (this area is hippie enough that everyone patiently waits it out).

Wow, I had no idea this was a thing! I couldn't stop laughing when the leasing office lady was telling me the story, I had to apologize.

We also get hordes of Canadian geese here. They like to slowly cross busy intersections in the morning during rush hour (this area is hippie enough that everyone patiently waits it out).

:floorlaugh: Those geese can get pretty nasty too. I love them and used to feed them all the time but they could get pretty darn itimindating!

Sorry about the geese :blushing: :floorlaugh: but please don't send us your palmetto bugs.

:floorlaugh: Those geese can get pretty nasty too. I love them and used to feed them all the time but they could get pretty darn itimindating!

The geese bite. I fed one an ice cream cone and when I had none left, it started attacking me. I had welts everywhere but was afraid to kick it because it was a Canadian goose and it seemed like treason. Here they block intersections and traffic walking their babies back and forth....downtown. :scared:

rid-palmetto-bugs-800x800.jpg

This Palmetto bug is about the size of the roach that was in the pocket of my smock which was hanging in the breakroom in the basement at walgreens.

I took my smock off the hanger and saw something move, I threw it on the floor and kinda moved the smock with my foot and saw it.

It was flatter than the palmetto bug but it was so big that at first I thought it was a plastic joke bug untill it moved again. I screamed and my manager came running in and smashed it with his shoe.

I'll NEVER forget the CRUNCH it made! Oh the NASTINESS!

Uggh!
th

Oh My GOD! I think I just regained consciousness after seeing that picture and reading your story!!! Holy Macarana! Nightmares for sure tonight!!!! :facepalm:

I didn't think roaches like that lived so far north! UGH!!! There is no where to escape them!!!

The copperhead is scary enough! Those mockingbirds however, can get pretty nasty!...snipped by Judy...Here's an article about how to get rid of them.

:floorlaugh: When I popped back into this thread, I laughed harder than at the "head thread!" Please, please, please I hope that didn't offend you, my friend. It's because, taking this page in totality, the continuity reads like no one has left ....catching up on the posts by rereading from the top, it was like a Friday night old timey gab session.

Reading the posts, the atmosphere felt like late night(which it is, actually)...possibly with a full moon. It felt like a group of friendly voices coming from....maybe, an old farm house porch. A nice breeze cooling things down. Maybe beverages being poured over cracking ice. Maybe the sounds of chairs rocking back and forth, and back and forth. And crickets, maybe. But definitely friendly voices.

"...and oh worse was the time I found that ugly snake hiding in my laundry room...oooh, girl. I like to died!"
Rocking.
Voices.
"...did I ever tell ya'll about the palmetta bug I found in my smock back at the Wal-Mart? Ugly thing. Smacked it with my shoe...that was some mess."
Voices.
"You poor thing."
"I woulda died. Just died."
Rocking.
"Once there was a copperhead snake curled right outside my door. Thought I'd die for sure. Now THAT was an ugly old thing. Mockingbird swooped in & killed it."
Rocking.
Crickets.
"I was married to a snake once."
Laughter.
Rocking.
Rocking.
"I murdered a grasshopper in my bed once. Did I tell y'all about that? Still feel bad about it...I still do. Grasshopper didn't deserve to die."
Rocking stops.
"Here, hon. Let me top off your ice tea."
Sounds of ice & liquid sloshing into a glass.
"Take yourself another butter mint, darlin'. Go on"
A comforting hand reaches over to pat the cricket murderer's.
Rocking starts.
Crickets.
Rocking.
Grasshopper killer laughs, nervously"...but I didn't feel bad the time I killed that scorpion hiding in my bed...ugly thing. And mean. He was aggressive. And just plain ugly."
Voices laugh, then "ewwwwwwww" in unison.
"I hate scorpions."
"Me too."
"So do I. The one I killed was transparent."
"I get my scorpion killer spray at Home Depot. Comes with a spray hose."
"Florida has 6inch black scorpions."
Voices in unison. "ewwwwwwww."
Rocking.
Sloshing glasses.
"Palm trees are scorpion habitats, did you know?"
Rocking.
Crickets.
" I saw a Palmetta Bug once that was big as a puppy."
Rocking stops..........
Crickets.
Crickets.
Voices in unison, "ewwwwwww."
Rocking starts
"There's invisible things in the swamp'll get ya too...gnats & things."
Rocking.
"And geese."
Laughter.
"...and gallinippers."
"What?"
"Gallinippers......and mosquitoes. And 15ft pythons"
Rocking stops.
"Well......church in the morning. Anyone else ready to turn in?"
"I am"
"Me, too. Come on."
"Let's just leave these things til tomorrow..can't hardly keep my eyes open."
Shoes scrape & shuffle across the porch. Screen door squeaks open... Slams shut.
Crickets.
Chairs rock in the breeze.
Friendly voices trail up to the second floor of the old farm house.

JustJudy, that describes this thread perfectly!

Sent from my LG Spirit using Tapatalk 2

Latest news from Entomologists Weekly:
New Bio Weapon Gives Hope to Combat Mosquitoes.

Attachments

• MOSQUITO DEFENSE MON.jpg
    MOSQUITO DEFENSE MON.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 8
.....we also get hordes of canadian geese here. They like to slowly cross busy intersections in the morning during rush hour.

:those geese can get pretty nasty too. I...used to feed them all the time but they could get pretty darn itimindating!

the geese bite. I fed one an ice cream cone and when i had none left, it started attacking me. I had welts everywhere.....they block intersections and traffic walking their babies back and forth....downtown. :scared:
.....image.jpgimage.jpg

JustJudy, dawlin'

Ya left out the effing tomato-sucking stink bugs....

JustJudy, dawlin'

Ya left out the effing tomato-sucking stink bugs....

Lol.... True dat! The ladies are going to a box lunch picnic after church though & the stink bugs (& fire ants) may be a topic of convo. I was trying to paraphrase from memory...ended up leaving so much out. Couldn't sleep almost at all last night, so read and read and read WS. For me, much of this thread was like poetry. Poetry smattered with big ole bug pictures...and kindness & empathy.

@ Just Judy...

I am crying, laughing at your synopsis!
:floorlaugh:

I am too! I'm literally wiping tears off my face!!!

And I don't know how many times I thought about that giant roach picture you posted yesterday, JustJudy! I think I would have had a full on coronary and DIED if I had found one in my apron pocket! Oh my LORD!

I have a terrible roach phobia. Seriously....like I probably need to get some help about it. I am terrified of them!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back