FL FL - Ralph Hampton Miller, 17, Lakeland, Sept 19, 1970

Murkywaters

Reaction score
Original
Original

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

On 10/2/70, the victim’s mother reported that she last saw the victim in his bed as she left for work on 09/19/70. They lived on Rt. 3, in Lakeland, FL.

Ralph Hampton Miller – The Charley Project

miller_ralph.jpg
miller_ralph2.jpg

• Missing Since 09/19/1970
  • Missing From Lakeland, Florida
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 02/12/1953 (66)
  • Age 17 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'5 - 5'10, 130 - 150 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, hazel eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Ralph was last seen at his home on Route 3 in Lakeland, Florida on September 19, 1970. His mother stated she saw him in bed as she left for work that day. He has never been heard from again. Few details are available in his case.

I wonder if he still has family in the area. His current age of 66 means his parents may or may not be alive. It’s doubtful they ever did a DNA but a sibling may have. I wish there was more info with the old case. It’s so sad to see them languish. The technology today could possibly find them.

I wonder why no one could give LE a more accurate height for him than a range of 5'5" to 5'10". 5'5" would have made him pretty short for a male of his age but 5'10" would have been a fairly average height for a guy who's 17. Seems like the mom or dad would have had a pretty close idea of how tall he was. I'm not saying the parents had anything to do with his disappearance; I just found it odd they wouldn't know how tall their son was.

I wonder why no one could give LE a more accurate height for him than a range of 5'5" to 5'10". 5'5" would have made him pretty short for a male of his age but 5'10" would have been a fairly average height for a guy who's 17. Seems like the mom or dad would have had a pretty close idea of how tall he was. I'm not saying the parents had anything to do with his disappearance; I just found it odd they wouldn't know how tall their son was.

I was thinking the same thing about the height. That is a big difference. Strange that they wouldn’t have a better idea of how tall he was.

The one photo looks like a standard school headshot at a few years younger than the photo of him standing. He is long in the torso and I’d say closer to 5’ 10”. I wonder who the child is that is almost cropped out of the photo. A younger sibling or cousin? I wonder if they remember him.

Original
Original

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

On 10/2/70, the victim’s mother reported that she last saw the victim in his bed as she left for work on 09/19/70. They lived on Rt. 3, in Lakeland, FL.
I wonder if he still has family in the area. His current age of 66 means his parents may or may not be alive. It’s doubtful they ever did a DNA but a sibling may have. I wish there was more info with the old case. It’s so sad to see them languish. The technology today could possibly find them.
Ralph has a brother and sister still living in Lakekand. 3 of his other siblings have passed as both of his parents. My recollection is two girls picked Ralph up to go to a concert in September 1969 I thought and he was never seen again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes he does a sister and a brother. In fact the picture on the left is not Ralph it is a picture of his brother <modsnip> Not sure where that picture came from.

Yes he does a sister and a brother. In fact the picture on the left is not Ralph it is a picture of his brother <modsnip> Not sure where that picture came from.
Well that explains our confusion on the photos! Thanks so much for clearing that up.

Welcome to Websleuths!

Ralph has a brother and sister still living in Lakekand. 3 of his other siblings have passed as both of his parents. My recollection is two girls picked Ralph up to go to a concert in September 1969 I thought and he was never seen again.
Are you aware of any newspaper clippings or yearbook photos that would ID both boys (Ralph and <modsnip>)?

If you think he was picked up by people in 1969, do you think the family would have waited a year to report him missing (in 1970)? Or do you think it's just a misprint on the last seen date? What concert do you think they were headed to? Could there be a record online somewhere (poster, newspaper announcement) that would verify the timing?

The picture on the right is his younger brother Mike Miller
I am sure you are correct but as Websleuths Terms of Service (TOS) evidence is required to confirm. It could be a newspaper, a year book, anything from legitimate social media. Otherwise it is considered opinion or rumor. Just trying to help you learn the site. We love having a local onboard. It really helps and who knows, you could help figure this out!

I could be mistaken about the year. They were going to the Chamber Brothers Concert I believe in Orlando. His family told me he was picked up by two girls that he was going to the concert with. Never to be seen again. I am an ex-sister in law and have known the family since I was in the 2nd grade. I know the picture on the left is Mike and the one on the right is Ralph. Ralph & Mike we’re both a couple tow or three years old than me. Mike and one sister is the only siblings still alive. The rest have passed as well as his parents.

The Lakeland Ledger has some archived articles on Ralph’s disappearance. You can google Ralph Hampton Miller missing from Lakeland Fl. I personally have that picture of <modsnip> that is posted here on your site. I can pull the articles up but not sure how to attach them here to you site. Can you share with me how the picture of <modsnip> was confirmed to be a picture of Ralph? The article in the Ledger 1975 has a picture of Ralph in the article. The article was in the front page of the Ledger. Ralph Miller missing after 5 years.

The Lakeland Ledger has some archived articles on Ralph’s disappearance. You can google Ralph Hampton Miller missing from Lakeland Fl. I personally have that picture of <modsnip> that is posted here on your site. I can pull the articles up but not sure how to attach them here to you site. Can you share with me how the picture of <modsnip> was confirmed to be a picture of Ralph? The article in the Ledger 1975 has a picture of Ralph in the article. The article was in the front page of the Ledger. Ralph Miller missing after 5 years.
You are doing a great job providing us information that can help. I did look up Ralph but there is no Lakeland Ledger information that I can access. I do not have a Newspapers . com subscription. You can upload a link by copying it. You can snip/clip a screen shot and paste it into the body of the message. You can upload a picture under the gray Upload a File button next to the goldish colored Post Reply button.

To find out the background on <modsnip> picture being part of Ralph's file, you'd need to reach out to the person who set up the Charley, NamUs or Doe page it was included on. It is possible they were given that photo by family and simply unaware it is two different people.

You can get set up as a VI, just click on this link for the How To. I think this would be very beneficial.
Verified Professional and Insider Members

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong