FL - Red Tide and toxicity to marine life in SW Florida

We lived on the beach in Pinellas back in 2002-2005 and I remember how bad the stench of rotting fish was during times of a bad red bloom! We've lived across the causeway from the beach (about 1/2 a mile from the ocean) since then. We've not had any odor from dead marine life here at all, thankfully. I hope those closer to it do finally get some relief!

Friday evening I met up with friends at Lido Beach in Sarasota. There were a few dead fish in the water. The air did not smell.

One guy, had to have been a tourist, picks up a dead fish, waved it all around the group he was with, tossed it back in the water and of course the surf rolls it on shore. Never saw him rinse his hand…. At least they took their empty beer cans with them.

I truly was surprised to see people swimming. As much publicity as there is, I figured people wouldn’t go in the water. It does make you cough a little but we had picked up sodas and subs. We were focused on our dinner & sunset. We also didn’t sit too close.

Attachments

• 71A94ACC-5780-4169-B510-11DBFA855C82.jpeg
    71A94ACC-5780-4169-B510-11DBFA855C82.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 11
Seaside Seabird Sanctuary caring for birds sick from red tide
Seaside Seabird Sanctuary caring for birds sick from red tide
Pinellas County
UPDATED 9:31 PM ET Jul. 19, 2021

INDIAN SHORES, Fla. — More than 300 sick and injured birds were brought to Seaside Seabird Sanctuary for care in June, and dozens of them were sick from toxins caused by red tide.

What You Need To Know
  • Seaside Seabird Sanctuary cares for sick and injured birds

• Since June, they've seen an increase in birds sick from red tide

• Brown pelicans and cormorants are most likely to be affected by toxins

• Birds sick from red tide toxins wobble and may have glazed-over eyes

Red tide again? Everywhere or just a couple of places?

RED TIDE RISES: Tracking the cause along our coast
RED TIDE RISES: Tracking the cause along our coast
UPDATED 1:43 PM ET Jul. 21, 2021

TAMPA, Fla. — One year after a July that saw many of us forced to stay home and inside because of the pandemic, residents along our coast are having another Florida July that's less than ideal.

This time, of course, it's red tide and dead fish. The stinky and costly, dirty and unattractive images that are the opposite of the St. Pete Beach that's pictured on postcards.

Several hundred tons of dead sea life have been collected from Pinellas waterways. But there appears to be no end in sight, yet plenty of blame to go around.
[...]

Stressing economy, DeSantis says no to red tide state of emergency
Stressing economy, DeSantis says no to red tide state of emergency
UPDATED 1:46 PM ET Jul. 21, 2021
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Emphasizing a need for “economic vitality,” Gov. Ron DeSantis on Wednesday declined calls to declare a state of emergency from the effects of red tide, which has killed hundreds of tons of fish and prompted heightened concern among counties along Florida’s western Gulf Coast.
[...]
St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman stood Wednesday among critics of DeSantis' handling of this surge of red tide, writing on Twitter in response to a tweet that noted Kriseman hadn't been invited to a DeSantis roundtable conversation in St. Petersburg on the issue: "The politicization of the governor's response to red tide is truly sickening... When crisis comes, partisanship must go. We should always come together in times like this."
[...]
DeSantis dismissed suggestions that he was politicizing the problem.

“In fact, the economy’s open here and people should be coming” to the region, he said. “It would have been very irresponsible to” have declared a state of emergency.
[...]
Residents along Florida’s western Gulf coast complain of overwhelming odor and effects on businesses from the phenomenon.

Scientists also have linked red tide to deaths of manatees in Tampa Bay and Central Florida.

DeSantis said Wednesday that he toured the region’s coastal areas and, referring to Tampa Bay, that he was “pleased to hear from everyone that the Bay looks a lot better than it did.”

DeSantis Dismisses Red Tide State Of Emergency, Says Progress Being Made
DeSantis Dismisses Red Tide State Of Emergency, Says Progress Being Made
WUSF Public Media - WUSF 89.7
Published July 21, 2021
It's been a month since Gov. Ron DeSantis last visited St. Petersburg to discuss red tide.

Since then, Pinellas County crews have hauled more than 1,320 tons of dead fish from Tampa Bay. DeSantis says the state is already supporting the efforts with money and resources.

"We developed a dedicated funding source in the annual budget to respond to red tide events, to respond to blue-green algae and significant impacts, just like the one that we've been experiencing now," he said.

Much of the support comes from a state task force established after the last major red tide outbreak in 2018.
[...]
DeSantis said more than $2 million of it has been used toward mitigation and cleanup for this effort.

Officials did say red tide seems to be abating in the waters of Tampa Bay, but is now being spotted off the southern Pinellas County beaches — from Fort DeSoto up to Dunedin.
[...]

HAB Forecasts
New NOAA Tool Predicts Red Tide Impacts For Beachgoers Along Florida's West Coast - WUSF Public Media | Tampa NPR, Local News Coverage
New NOAA Tool Predicts Red Tide Impacts For Beachgoers Along Florida’s West Coast
August 09, 2021
Those with respiratory problems who may be vulnerable to the affects of red tide can now see how they might be impacted before heading out to the beaches along Florida’s west coast.

A new tool, developed by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, “provides a near real-time prediction of whether beachgoers can expect red tide conditions on individual beaches at three-hour increments throughout the day,” according to a press release.

The Red Tide Respiratory Forecast plots points at beaches along the Gulf of Mexico and predicts the red tide risks based on wind speed and direction for more than 24 hours out.
[...]

HAB Forecasts

I’m wondering what the incoming rain, high tides and wind will do for the red tide problems, and the bacteria problems.

Attachments

• F7A1DBAC-6ED4-4A5A-BFEA-790D33A87D8D.jpeg
    F7A1DBAC-6ED4-4A5A-BFEA-790D33A87D8D.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 3
Economy, economy, economy, isn't tourism also a big part of the economy in Florida?
My friend and I had a trip planned to Florida in 2000 and then Covid happened.
After all we read and learned about Florida since then we have decided to not ever go there unless things change drastically and I know we're not the only ones.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back