Deceased/Not Found FL - Robert Wiles, 26, Lakeland, 1 April 2008 *T. Holt guilty*

Some background:

A jury found Stobert “Toby” Holt guilty Tuesday of manslaughter, extortion and writing threats to kill or do bodily harm in the case of a missing Lakeland man.

Jurors concluded Holt killed his boss’ son, Robert Wiles, who has been missing since 2008. However, they acquitted Holt of kidnapping...

Originally, Holt was charged with first-degree murder. However, the jury found him guilty of the lesser charge of manslaughter...

Assistant State Attorney Cass Castillo argued a complex web of circumstantial evidence reveals Holt was the culprit.

Holt and Wiles worked together at the Wiles’ family aircraft repair business, National Flight Services, at Lakeland Linder Regional Airport.

Holt was the operations manager, and Wiles was a salesman.

Wiles was 26 when last seen April 1, 2008.

Wiles’ cellphone was used to send a ransom email on April 2, 2008, that was signed by “Group X” and used to send a text message to Wiles’ father the next day. Under the direction of law enforcement, Wiles’ father left a package but it was never picked up.

http://www.theledger.com/news/20120131/holt-guilty-of-manslaughter-acquitted-of-kidnapping

2014:

A Lakeland-based appellate court decided Wednesday to uphold the convictions against Stobert “Toby” Holt who is serving a 30-year prison sentence in the disappearance of his boss’ son.
The 2nd District Court of Appeal did not grant Holt’s request for a new trial.
In January 2012, a jury found Holt, 46, guilty on charges related to the death of Robert Wiles, who was 26 when last seen April 1, 2008.
Holt and Wiles worked together at the Wiles family’s aircraft repair business, National Flight Services, at Lakeland Linder Regional Airport.

http://www.theledger.com/news/20140...oby-holts-conviction-in-death-of-lakeland-man

Ransom demand:

article-2144127-13152A8C000005DC-561_634x348.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...000-ransom-kidnapped-pilot-missing-years.html

The note said: 'We have Robert, if you hope to see him alive again, you must follow our instructions without deviation! Do not speak about this to anyone, including family.'

There was a five-day deadline of April 8, and so, after drafting in the FBI, Tom, who lived in Toledo, Ohio, set off to Florida.

He wired the money to a Florida bank with the idea that he would use it as bait to entice the abductor. But officers rejected that plan and filled it with coffee that weighed the same amount as the cash.

They placed the box, as demanded, in Robert's office. A secret camera was set up to record what happened, and armed SWAT teams hid close by. But no-one ever came to collect the loot.

It was during this time the FBI turned its attention to Tom, who had separated from Pamela some years earlier and had just reached a deal where she would receive $750,000...

Pamela was also under the spotlight, as was former colleague mechanic Steve Lindsey who had been sacked because of a drink problem....

Then came the bombshell, from his barber Janie Bear, that Wiles could still be alive. She said he once told her 'he was frustrated with his life'.

She said Robert had learned his father carried a kidnapping insurance policy and ended their conversation by saying: 'Please don't tell anybody I told you all this'.

But family members say Robert would never be that selfish and the investigation took another turn as officers spoke to Joel Valle, the the owner of another airplane engine repair business.

I remember this program abt this young man from wayyy back.
I was always under the impression that he planned his own kidnapping, at least that's what I thought the show implied.

If he is truly deceased, then I'm glad they found the criminal who did it.
Feel sorry for the parents, sounds like it tore them apart, literally.
And, I hope they find his body.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back