FL FL - Sabrina Aisenberg, 5 months, Valrico, 24 Nov 1997

I can't find a link to the story...but Sheriff David Gee of the HCSO has agreed to meeting with the Aisenbergs to discuss the case with them. I hope he can heal some of the animosity that has existed between that department and the Aisenbergs.

Lady-eowyn - This is the story you may be re: too:

-Sheriff Willing To Meet With Aisenbergs
spacer.gif

By THOMAS W. KRAUSE
tkrause@tampatrib.com
spacer.gif

Published: Jun 29, 2005
spacer.gif

TAMPA - Hillsborough County Sheriff David Gee said he is willing to meet with Steven and Marlene Aisenberg to discuss their missing daughter and the sheriff's office investigation into the girl's disappearance.

The offer came in a court document filed Tuesday. A written invitation to the Aisenbergs is expected soon.

``I've never met the Aisenbergs,'' Gee said in an interview. ``To be honest with you, I just want to give them a fair shake in this process.''

If the couple have additional information about their daughter, Gee said, he wants to hear about it.

Sheriff's office attorney Christopher Sabella said the Aisenbergs are in a unique situation. They have not been ruled out as suspects in their daughter's 1997 disappearance, he said. On the other hand, he said, the sheriff's office is investigating the possibility that the child was kidnapped, as the Aisenbergs have contended.

``They're still a family that is potentially a victim,'' Sabella said.

Barry Cohen, the Aisenbergs' attorney, said he and his clients are more than willing to meet with the sheriff as long as it is recorded and transcribed to protect the integrity of the meeting.

``In fact, I'll go see him right now,'' Cohen said Tuesday evening. ``But we're not going to let him come to a meeting just to tell us they're committed to finding the baby, without giving us some facts.''

The Aisenbergs have an ongoing lawsuit against the sheriff's office and several deputies. They say they were maliciously prosecuted for their daughter's disappearance.

As part of the suit, the Aisenbergs requested a copy of the sheriff's office investigative file detailing the case.

This month, Judge William P. Levens met privately with sheriff's office attorneys to look at exhibits and hear testimony about the investigation. On June 21, he ruled that the Aisenbergs cannot see the file because the investigation is ongoing.

Despite the judge's ruling, the Aisenbergs said they do not believe the investigation is active. They have asked the judge to clarify his ruling to say why he thinks it is an ongoing investigation.

On Tuesday, the sheriff's office filed a response backing the judge's decision.

Sabella said the sheriff will release a general statement this week that will show the resources the sheriff's office has used in its investigation. The statement, Sabella said, will not offer specifics about facts but will include statistics that will help prove the investigation is active.

``The sheriff wants to alleviate any concern out there,'' Sabella said.

Cohen said the Aisenbergs want to see new scientific findings or specific evidence that shows detectives are seeking information.

If the Aisenbergs are still suspects, Cohen said, he wants to know why.

``The bottom line is, what facts support them as being suspects?'' Cohen said. ``Name any fact that the courts haven't ruled out as being nonsense.''

In 1999, the Aisenbergs were named in a federal indictment charging them with lying to investigators. The indictment cited incriminating statements recorded by a sheriff's office listening device planted inside the Aisenbergs' bedroom.

The charges were thrown out when two judges determined the recordings were inaudible and the transcripts of those recordings could not be verified. Reporter Thomas W. Krause can be reached at (813) 259-7698

Link: http://news.tbo.com/news/MGBBH0JWIAE.html

Yep...that's it..thanks. Not sure why it didn't come up in the search I did for it

RockyMountains said:
The questions I have about this case are as follows.
1) If it was a stranger abduction how can they come into the house through the garage, walk to the bedroom without walking into one of the other bedrooms and disturbing whomever is in that one, walk to the crib in the dark (lights would have woken someone up. Pick up the baby without it making a sound and walk out of a house that by everyones accounts was messy because the mother was not a good housekeeper, without tripping over something. Unless they knew the layout of the house and knew the mother was not a good housekeeper well.

2) The dog did not bark. Neighbors have said that the dog barked at everything. I cant recall where but I read somewhere that neighbors had even called and asked them to try to quieten the dog down sometime. My Chocolate Lab is one of the quietest and friendliest dogs you could ever meet but if startled at night by a noise or a shadow she will raise all kinds of heck.

3) If my child was taken from me in a certain area there is no way on Gods Green earth I would EVER move away from that area until I found out what happened and got some kind of answers

4) Why wait until you have a lawsuit filed against LE to really press for information on what is going on in the investigation. I would be up there every single day. They would have to put me in jail for obstruction because I would not get out of their way.

Wont be Popular but those are my views.
In Response:

1) ask any of those that have been caught that have taking children, "how they accomplished this?" not to repeat,
John Couey, E. Smarts Kidnapper, and the many others

Note:

a. Mrs. A. said the a/c was loud, also the person could have known the layout
b. I can get in and out of my house very quickly- wrecking havoc. I live with someone who can sleep through a tornado and has.
c. You have answered your own question: Someone knew the layout. The houses are practically all the same in that area

2) According to the 48Hour broadcast, only 1 person stated, "the dog barked!" One woman stated, "It was a quiet dog!" Also, ask J.Couey why the dog did not bark. Treats can be given to the dog. The dog could have known the intruder. I have read other reports that did not state any further dog barking theories. (yet my cat is very alert:dance: so who is to say)

3) I do not claim to know when they moved from the area, but If you are the town lepers moving might certainly be an option. Also, the memories would haunt me living with the thought that my child had been taken. I am not in that position, (thank God). I would have to walk in their shoes. Remember, the (A's) had other children to care for and they were regarded as children of lepers by other children. Maybe I would have stayed. They also stated they were broke. Why not go back to your home town and get comfort from your family?

4) This is a good point, but I feel they did press, but no-body took them seriously.

I do have many questions regarding their innocence too. There are some questions left unanswered that I posed. I do not like to judge people on what they did or didn't do, having not been in their position. We all react differently.

My only saving Grace in this matter is: The child has never been found. That being the case, it is hard to blame the parents. If the body was recovered then we can point a finger, (at least I can). Yes, they have to answer, (In my mind) to some questions, but till there is a body, concrete evidence they did kill this child then I have to lean on the slim side of innocent.

My mind is open.

A side note: :twocents: Those that are popular sometimes are boring. Diversity makes the world go around.

Gozgals.

RockyMountains said:
The questions I have about this case are as follows.
1) If it was a stranger abduction how can they come into the house through the garage, walk to the bedroom without walking into one of the other bedrooms and disturbing whomever is in that one, walk to the crib in the dark (lights would have woken someone up. Pick up the baby without it making a sound and walk out of a house that by everyones accounts was messy because the mother was not a good housekeeper, without tripping over something. Unless they knew the layout of the house and knew the mother was not a good housekeeper well.

Most developments are built with only a few basic plans. If you are familiar with a similar house in the neighborhood- or even in a similar neighborhood- you can figure out where the master bedroom is and where the other bedrooms are. Oftentimes you can even tell from the outside- based on the curtains/drapes that are up. The bedroom with pink curtains is usually the little girls room for instance. If you didn't find out from the outside- a quick peek in the room and you can tell which room is whose by the decorations. Security lights from the neighborhood provides some light to see to get around in a house, and most parents of young children use night lights, sometimes even in rooms like the bathroom and kitchen. A sleeping infant will usually not cry out when picked up.

I am not God's gift to housekeeping either, and my children frequently get toys out that stay on the floor after everyone goes to bed (bad me!). Many times I have felt that this is an added safety bonus for my family. If someone comes into my house to do mischief, I hope he breaks his neck.

CaliKid said:
I am not God's gift to housekeeping either, and my children frequently get toys out that stay on the floor after everyone goes to bed (bad me!). Many times I have felt that this is an added safety bonus for my family. If someone comes into my house to do mischief, I hope he breaks his neck.
Cali, Don't quote me but isn't it said: "Messiness is Godliness!":woohoo:

exception to the rule- when you live with a sportsman, who loves you to pick up every item of clothing, dish, etc, that is left around:behindbar :behindbar

and yes the method of leaving them there, does not work..good day

After many visits to Florida, espcially years ago, I did notice various houses had the same layout. For example, a family members house, is modeled after at least 12 in his area. This would give an intruder who did his/her homework a good idea of what the homes were like.

Once again, I sit on a fence, days I think they are guilty, sometimes innocent, but I can't condemn them as I need more proof. I have read the river was searched with more divers than in any search but still turned up nothing.

Prayers for Sabrina. If it is the Aisenbergs, let's hang them by their tails, if not, lets punish who did this crime to the fullest extent.

happy 4th of july and Canada day to all.

Gozgals:woohoo:

In my housing tract there are 4 different models- two are one story (either a 2 or 3 bedroom) and two are two story- 3 bedroom or 4 bedroom. They may have different trim or slightly larger garages, but they're basically the same house.

Attorney Barry Cohen on Tuesday sent a letter to Hillsborough County Sheriff David Gee accepting the sheriff's offer to meet with Steven and Marlene Aisenberg about the 1997 disappearance of their infant daughter.
The sheriff made the offer in court documents filed last week. The Aisenbergs are embroiled in a wrongful prosecution lawsuit against the sheriff's office.

Referring to sheriff's office comments that the Aisenbergs have not been ruled out as suspects in their daughter's disappearance, Cohen's letter called the statement ``buttocks-covering language.''

http://tampatrib.com/floridametronews/MGBQXOW1TAE.html

Aisenberg and her attorney, Barry Cohen, met with Sheriff David Gee for nearly three hours.

The meeting was the second in two days and stemmed from an invitation by Gee, who took over as sheriff in January and had never met the couple. The Aisenbergs are suing his department for millions of dollars because investigators accused them of lying about the case.

Despite the lawsuit, the Aisenbergs are continuing to cooperate with investigators whenever they are questioned, Cohen said.

``She's being treated like anyone else who's a suspect,'' he said of Marlene Aisenberg. ``We have no problem with that.''

Cohen offered a mea culpa for his recent criticism of how the sheriff's office has handled the case. ``I was wrong,'' he said of his complaint that investigators weren't doing anything.

``I'm satisfied that Sheriff Gee has conducted a good- faith investigation to get the facts fairly and that he's not predisposed to twist the facts.''

Aisenberg asked the public to continue looking for Sabrina and encouraged people who work at schools and programs that register children to scrutinize birth records and identification documents.

``She's 8 years old. She's not a baby anymore,'' the mother said. ``It's time for her to come home.''
http://tampatrib.com/floridametronews/MGB55FR2HCE.html
http://www.wfts.com/stories/2005/08/050816aisenbergs.shtml

I think about Sabrina often, check the updated photos and search faces in crowds for her.

It remains one of the most notorious missing child cases in the country: eight years ago, 5-month-old Sabrina Aisenberg disappeared from her Valrico home.

After a statewide search, Sabrina's parents were indicted. But then, a judge ruled that investigators had trumped evidence.

Two years after Sabrina vanished, the Aisenberg family moved to Maryland, escaping the memories of Florida. But hope still burns bright: Sabrina still has a room in the new home and her clothes remain, along with her favorite old toys and new ones, purchased every holiday.
http://www.wfts.com/stories/2005/12/051205aisenbergs.shtml

I clearly remember this case because it was all over the news when the parents were arrested after they moved to Bethesda, I myself was living in Balto. County at the time and the media was reporting it as a fact that the father had admitted to hurting the baby while under the influence of coke and the mother had helped cover it up and they had secret surveillence tapes of the conversation.

At the same time there were two more cases going on in the area, one in Glen Burnie and Pasadena area where the father took his two toddlers and shot them both over his pending divorce while under the influence. The other case was in Balto. County and these types of crimes involving murdered children by parents, boyfriends, etc. under the influence of drugs and or alchohol were happening at an alarming rate, very distubing. A little girl, six I think from Landsdowne (Balto. County) had been beat to death a few years before that by her mothers boyfriend because she was sent to the store and lost the food stamps. Once again drugs.

A few possibilities I haven't seen posted are that a night light could've been on or bathroom light kept on especially with other children in the house getting up at night. Always possible the dog did start to bark, given food or recognizing the person, etc. stopped but at any rate since the dog often did this people get used to it, I had a dog carrying on about a blanket blowing on a neighbors clothesline! Duncan comes to mind also in that he stalked and watched first complete strangers. It's possible this couple has learned from so many high profile cases that a civil suit against the police would provoke some action and accountability from LE.

Has anything new been discovered???? Breaks my heart.

strach304 said:
I clearly remember this case because it was all over the news when the parents were arrested after they moved to Bethesda, I myself was living in Balto. County at the time and the media was reporting it as a fact that the father had admitted to hurting the baby while under the influence of coke and the mother had helped cover it up and they had secret surveillence tapes of the conversation.

At the same time there were two more cases going on in the area, one in Glen Burnie and Pasadena area where the father took his two toddlers and shot them both over his pending divorce while under the influence. The other case was in Balto. County and these types of crimes involving murdered children by parents, boyfriends, etc. under the influence of drugs and or alchohol were happening at an alarming rate, very distubing. A little girl, six I think from Landsdowne (Balto. County) had been beat to death a few years before that by her mothers boyfriend because she was sent to the store and lost the food stamps. Once again drugs.

A few possibilities I haven't seen posted are that a night light could've been on or bathroom light kept on especially with other children in the house getting up at night. Always possible the dog did start to bark, given food or recognizing the person, etc. stopped but at any rate since the dog often did this people get used to it, I had a dog carrying on about a blanket blowing on a neighbors clothesline! Duncan comes to mind also in that he stalked and watched first complete strangers. It's possible this couple has learned from so many high profile cases that a civil suit against the police would provoke some action and accountability from LE.
the little six year old girl beat to death my neighbor was on the jury during that trial of course she couldnt talk about it, but i remember....I live in Maryland as well, it was a very sad case....I wish someone would find out something about sabrina....Her parents moved back to Maryland again....

michelle said:
the little six year old girl beat to death my neighbor was on the jury during that trial of course she couldnt talk about it, but i remember....I live in Maryland as well, it was a very sad case....I wish someone would find out something about sabrina....Her parents moved back to Maryland again....

I recently noticed you are from Md. from posting on the Harvey board I think, you mentioned something about it. ;) There are some other members here from the area as well, ya kinda find out as you go along. On topic though I do hope that this child is alive somewhere even knowing there's very little possibility that she is or will ever be found. You see cases like Elizabeth Smart and you just know and hope it can happen. There was a movie on the lifetime channel I think where the little boy had been abducted while he was small and many years later he turned up in the same neighborhood as his biological family and the mother was sure by looking at him it was her son and was able to get him back and I think it was based on a true story but I don't know what case.

strach304 said:
I recently noticed you are from Md. from posting on the Harvey board I think, you mentioned something about it. ;) There are some other members here from the area as well, ya kinda find out as you go along. On topic though I do hope that this child is alive somewhere even knowing there's very little possibility that she is or will ever be found. You see cases like Elizabeth Smart and you just know and hope it can happen. There was a movie on the lifetime channel I think where the little boy had been abducted while he was small and many years later he turned up in the same neighborhood as his biological family and the mother was sure by looking at him it was her son and was able to get him back and I think it was based on a true story but I don't know what case.

No, only based on an "Oprah" special selection book. 'Deep end of the Ocean'.

I believe the abduction theory. I believe this family was railroaded. and I pray for the day that this can be resolved. Nothing is impossible.

I fully believe this was a horrific tragedy and LE DID NOT follow up on all leads. :(

I remember the movie you're referring too. I also believe that it was based on a true story. I watched it with my mom when I was fairly young. She had followed the case and really wanted to see the movie. Cases like that give hope, no matter how little or how farfetched it might be. I find it hard to believe a family would keep a room and buy presents for a daughter they knew was no longer on this earth. That makes me think they are innocent. I can't imagine someone sneaking in and taking a baby with the intent of harming her. I believe baby Sabrina is alive and hope that whoever took her is taking good care of her. I also hope that someday that person will have the deceny to end her parents' suffering and return Sabrina to her true family.

Blueclouds, I don't recall the movie's title but it was either Michele Phieffer (sp) or Susan Blakely I think that played the role of the mother. My daughter was watching it is how I came to see it, so many of those movies on lifetime are based on actual events but I was sure this one had dialogue at the end stating it was and info about the family. I do know the city was Chicago.
P.S. The little boys name was Ben. Do I have the right one?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back