FL FL - St Petersburg, Little Bayou S of Coquina Key, UnkMale 7-20, UP1333, skull, Sep'75

Migmuu

Reaction score
UP#1333
DoeNet 2496UMFL

Found 09/05/1975 in St. Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida

Partial skull of a young male found covered in barnacles by a fisherman in Little Bayou, south of Coquina Key.

Sex: Male
Race: Unknown
Height: N/A
Weight: N/A
Postmortem interval: 1970 to 1974

According to The Doe Network, DNA is available, but dentals and fingerprints are not.

I’m thinking that this might be 11-year-old Johnny Lee Brewster, missing from St. Petersburg since September 3, 1972. He is believed to be a victim of serial killer Warren Petringelo, who killed Johnny and three other teenaged boys (17-year-old Joseph Gallo, 18-year-old Terry Haskett, and 19-year-old Jefrey Rupe) between May and December 1972.

Johnny is not in ANY missing persons databases, and there is NO information to be found about this serial killer’s crimes outside newspapers.com and a handful of articles from other archives. I don’t know if he is still missing, but I can’t find any articles saying he was ever found. I’m going to call to confirm that he is still missing and, if so, I’ll try to get him added to NamUs and The Charley Project.

I'm going entirely off the newspaper articles I've been able to find so far, so I apologize if anything here is incorrect. If anyone here has a Pinellas County library card and wants to see if they find anything else on Newsbank or other library sources, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it.

Johnny was last seen on the afternoon of September 3, 1972, when he asked his mother for some money to go see a movie and walked out the door. He was a troubled child; he had run away twice in the past two years and already had several brushes with the law (all minor, nonviolent offenses like shoplifting and petty larceny). The day before his disappearance, he was picked up and fingerprinted by St. Petersburg police for allegedly breaking into a neighbor’s mobile home. When he didn’t return home on September 3, his mother and the police believed that he had run away again, this time because he was scared to face charges of breaking and entering.

In January 1973, 25-year-old Warren Petringelo was arrested after he was caught using Jefrey Rupe’s driver’s license to cash a forged check. He was quickly charged with the murders of Joseph, Terry, and Jefrey, all of whom were found murdered in separate locations around southern St. Petersburg. A search of his room uncovered a pair of handcuffs and multiple articles of clothing belonging to the dead teenagers. There are few details about how the boys were killed, but all three of them were found nude, and one article states that detectives believe Terry was handcuffed and beaten before his head was forced underwater until he drowned. They also implied that the murders were sexually motivated.

Shortly after the arrest, detectives received information that Petringelo was responsible for Johnny’s disappearance. It is unclear how Johnny's name first came up in the investigation, but he knew both Terry and Petringelo, and all three were frequent customers at Jesse’s Restaurant and Game Room. Petringelo also made statements implicating himself in the child's disappearance.

One of Petringelo’s coworkers, William Seal, told detectives that Petringelo gave him and another coworker, Raymond Roberts, a ride one day in early September. During the drive, Roberts happened to look back and saw the nude body of a deceased 11- or 12-year-old boy, believed to be Johnny Brewster. Roberts yelled that there was a body in the car and Petringelo acted surprised, saying he didn’t know how it got there. He said he was going to get rid of the body, then dropped Seal and Roberts off at Bartlett Park and drove away. Although Petringelo didn’t threaten them, Seal said, they were too afraid to get involved and didn’t tell authorities until after his arrest.

In early January 1973, investigators scoured an overgrown area south of Lake Maggiore Park in St. Petersburg, acting on a lead that Johnny’s body was dumped there. It is unclear if this information came from Petringelo himself or someone else. One investigator said they believed a body was left there at some point, and speculated that alligators may have carried the remains away.

In March 1973, Petringelo pleaded no contest to killing Terry and was sentenced to life in prison. He died in 2015.

Unfortunately, there’s very little identifying information for this UID, but there are a few things that make me think this could be Johnny. Most of them have to do with the proximity of the skull to several important locations in the Petringelo case:

Age (11) is within range

Sex matches

Date of disappearance (September 3, 1972) fits in the UID’s postmortem interval (1970 - 1974)

All of Petringelo’s victims were dumped in southern St. Petersburg, where this UID was found

The circumstances of the UID’s discovery (skull found in an open body of water) are similar to Terry’s case, since Petringelo also dumped Terry in the water

The partial skull was found in Little Bayou, south of Coquina Key. The night of Terry’s murder, Petringelo picked him up from a bridge that connects Coquina Key to the mainland. There are two such bridges, and I’m not exactly sure which one it was, but they are 0.4 and 1.0 miles (respectively) from Little Bayou

Johnny, Terry and Petringelo were known to frequent Jesse’s Restaurant and Game Room (3016 Sixth Street South), which is approximately 1 1/2 miles from Little Bayou

The location of Terry’s body (which was found across the street from the Sheraton Belair at 6800 34th Street South) is about 3 miles from Little Bayou

The search area in 1973 was just off 9th Street South, south of Lake Maggiore Park. Little Bayou is about 1.5 miles southeast of the park, so it's very close to the search area

Bartlett Park, where William Seal says Petringelo dropped him and Raymond Roberts off after they saw Johnny's body in the car, is about 2.5 miles north of Little Bayou

I certainly hope that this possible match was considered back in 1975, but seeing how many MPs end up being found in the same city/county they went missing from and still go unidentified for decades, it's possible he fell through the cracks. Although, with a physical description that vague, there's a lot of people this UID could be. I'm not highly optimistic about this potential match, but I think it should be checked out if it hasn't already.

The final victim's name is spelled Jeffry, not Jefrey. My apologies. I knew it was a unique spelling but didn't realize I got it wrong until now, and I'm not able to go back and edit the previous post.

Little Bayou John Doe has been unidentified for 45 years today.

UP#1333
DoeNet 2496UMFL

Found 09/05/1975 in St. Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida

Partial skull of a young male found covered in barnacles by a fisherman in Little Bayou, south of Coquina Key.

Sex: Male
Race: Unknown
Height: N/A
Weight: N/A
Postmortem interval: 1970 to 1974

According to The Doe Network, DNA is available, but dentals and fingerprints are not.
Johnny was my older brother i believe this could very well be him he was never found that i know of

Little Bayou John Doe has been unidentified for 46 years today.

Little Bayou John Doe has been unidentified for 47 years today.

Little Bayou John Doe has been unidentified for 48 years today.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann
Back