FL FL - Stephanie Sempell, 15, Boca Raton, March 1976

TedMac

Reaction score
Mods: I could not locate a file on this person. If one already exists, please delete my entry.

https://www.facebook.com/floridakey...QruDIE92WOQIQEJqpDWPLuku7-32qc4uNIHm8qvC_7xvw

"We coming up on the anniversary of this case. Take a look - if you know anything at all call the Sheriff's Office Major Crimes Unit at 305-289-2410...

The bones of a young woman were found on Grassy Key in December of 1976. In 2004, they were finally identified as 15 year old Stephanie Sempell, last seen alive in March of 1976 by her mother, Dorothy Appel of Boca Raton, Florida...

Then, in 1997, Kim Quinn of New York, the sister of a Boca Raton girl missing since 1976, began looking into the status of her sister’s case. Her younger sister, Stephanie Sempell, was a chronic runaway who was last seen in March of 1976. At the time of her disappearance, she told her mother she was going to the Keys with friends. She never returned. The family says they reported her missing, but for some unknown reason, there is no record of that report. Because there was apparently no official report that she was missing, her name and description was never entered into any database where a comparison with this case would have been possible.

When the sister began making inquiries, she discovered that because there was no official missing person’s report in existence, her missing sister was not in the nationwide missing child database. As a result of Quinn’s inquiries, Sempell was finally entered into the database. Eventually, the NCMEC matched that missing person report with the Keys case from 1976 as a possible hit. Using DNA from Sempell’s mother, analysis indicated a match. That, along with a description of Sempell, which closely matched the bones, convinced detectives they had finally identified the bones found on Grassy Key..."

What a sad case...it's unfortunate but I think a lot of teenagers slipped through the cracks in the 1970s and 1980s because law enforcement never followed up on missing persons reports, assuming they ran away. I'm glad that family at least got partial closure here. Not a lot of info that I could find on the case, though. I'm not even sure where to start.

DNA links remains found in Keys in 1976 to Boca teen
Published August 26, 2004
Detectives hope that someone somewhere will see the picture of Stephanie, hear the story and call with information about the case. To date, no one who has been questioned in the case can definitively say who she was traveling with. Detectives would like to talk to those mysterious traveling companions. They are also hoping friends may remember something significant.

"Somebody knows her and knows what happened to her back in 1976," Detective Sgt. Dally said. "We want that person, or those people, to call us. A young girl lost her life, and both she and her family deserve to have some type of explanation for that. We'd like to give it to them."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back