FL FL - Tammy Alexander, 16, Brooksville, 8 Nov 1979

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by joeytes, Sep 25, 2014.

1. strawberry

strawberry Well-Known Member

Oh I misunderstood! Thank you for clarifying

2. KateB

KateB New Member

Remembering Tammy Jo Alexander
    http://www.13wham.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/remembering-tammy-jo-alexander-19618.shtml
    more at link.

3. Steely Dan

Steely Dan Former Member

Dude! You're getting a lot of good publicity for yourself and the people here. :hug: You :rock: http://www.democratandchronicle.com...ander-cali-missing-person-caledonia/22420611/

...Koppelman, a certified public accountant who lives in El Segundo, California, saw the photograph in September, and quickly recognized it as a near match for the girl found dead in 1979. An autopsy photo had been released in 1979, as well as other reconstruction photos since.

"I said, 'That's her, that's Cali,' " Koppelman, 52, said about the moment he saw Alexander's photograph. "... You're surprised to be seeing somebody you're used to seeing dead, and all of a sudden you see them there with a big smile on their face.

"It's really a shock to see them alive," he said in a telephone interview....

4. Tssiemer

Tssiemer Well-Known Member

Nice pic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Steely Dan

Steely Dan Former Member

:hug:

6. Mzkity62

Mzkity62 New Member

I am amazed at the work that goes on behind the scenes here. I love this site. I have been coming here for around 5 or 6 years. Maybe more. This is one of the cases that has haunted me. This poor girl was so sweet looking. I never really took her for even a runaway. I figured she just hitched a ride somewhere. She did not deserve this. My sincere prayer is that we can find out who did this to her.

7. jacksonbrown

jacksonbrown Member

I wish I had known about websleuths prior to 2012. I would have possibly seen the info related to my brother's case. Robert Daniel Corriveau (Bobby Dan). Carl thank you for all you did in working to having him ID'D Virginia Cleary

8. Abigail

Abigail Well-Known Member

Oh my. Just this morning, I was firmly telling myself that I wasn't going to get sucked into another Websleuth's case, and then I saw this lovely girl's face on the front page of the newspaper, and instantly identified with her -- just 3 years apart from me in age, and grew up just 1 hour away from me (her mother even moved to my hometown in 1980), and then she sadly ended up a murdered Jane Doe just a few miles from where I currently live. I found myself wondering how another Florida girl ended up here in the cold northlands. And I was distinctly annoyed that the newspaper gave a 2 year window as to when she went missing, so I decided to come over here to Websleuths, knowing you guys would have everything all sorted out, only to find that you guys actually made the ID! Kudos to you! And, of course, you've ferreted out when she really went missing -- just a few days before she died. I felt better hearing that -- not that she had died, but that she'd been with friends and family just a few days before she was murdered. I had imagined her wandering the country as a homeless waif for 2 years. So, anyway, a very sad story -- esp. for her family and friends who have only now had her death confirmed, but it must bring great joy (that she now has a name and an identity) to those who have been following her Caledonia case here on WS since 2005, I believe. I will certainly be tuning in here to here how the case progresses. That turquoise necklace rang a bell...don't suppose it really matters now that she's been ID'd, but something niggling at my memory. I remember having a necklace something like that, but my uncle lived out west and sold turquoise and silver and stuff like that at the rodeos. Perhaps Tammy bought it (or it was given her) when she and her friend had their cross-country trip to California in May 1979, before she died.

9. CarlK90245

CarlK90245 UID Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Bobby Dan was the only other missing person for whom I yelled "Bingo" (in a Websleuths post) when I saw the MP photo. Although I was the first person in the online community to connect Bobby Dan to the 1968 Downington PA John Doe, I can't claim credit for solving that one. The authorities were already on to the connection before his MP casefile went public in NamUs.

10. georgiasblu

georgiasblu New Member

I lurk here occasionally but I had to tell you all how amazingly special each and every one of you are. Thank you for what you do.
    Georgia

11. Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel Pyrrhonist

Former Sheriff York might have had a statement taken out of context (or not). I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and interpret his poorly worded statement of "It's hard to imagine that someone could just throw a child away. It's a great day to give her a name." to mean that he didn't believe anyone threw a child away. As in BBM: "It's hard to imagine that someone could just throw a child away. And now we can see that they didn't. It's a great day to give her a name." After all, Mr. York was not the sheriff in Brookesville, FL, where Tammy went missing from. He was the sheriff where an unknown body was found, with no local report to help him ID the body. In the seventies, there was no real connection between states for missing children (or murderers-can we say Ted Bundy, thank you). I can personally attest to the fact that the different states didn't even have databases that would sync with each other.

12. Abigail

Abigail Well-Known Member

13. Roselvr

Roselvr Ask me how to get your loved one in NamUs

Very nice gesture; but IMO they really jumped the gun. What if her family wants to pick the stone?
    Carl SSA & myself have been discussing taking donations for one for the last week or so

14. comfort80

comfort80 Member

I took it to mean he was talking about her killer leaving her there to die, and remain unnamed for 35 years. Hopefully anyone else reading the transcript or watching the video could redirect the negativity towards the jerk who deserves justice for this crime.

15. sistershane

sistershane Member

I live just half hour from Caledonia, NY where Tammy was found and recently id'd-thanks to Carl and a classmate of Tammy's!
    I have written here many times about Shari Lynne Ball-of West Palm Beach, Fl.,who also was a murdered Jane Doe who was recently id'd here after 31 years, in WNY in4/14.
    Because i strongly suspected Shari's killer was Christopher Wilder-i was interviewed by batavia State Police, Batavia, NY-as i had met Wilder in late June 1983-in Lockport, NY(he tried to get me to do a modeling portfolio),around the time of Shari's disappearance/murder.She was found 5 mos. after she disappeared-but foul play was suspected though actual cause never determined. This is now an active cold case. I have not heard anything since my interview with Batavia State Police in June. Shari's Mom does not really want to deal with her daughter's murder now that she's been id'd. She said she's been through enough-and likely-her killer is dead anyhow.!
    I immediately wondered if Wilder could be responsible for Tammy's death-given Tammy was from Florida and ended up in wny area at time of death. But the last person seen with Tammy-a male-didn't fit description of Wilder-though of course it doesn't always mean HE did the killing!

Interesting similarities though:
    Wilder shot one of his victims on his killing spree-Beth Dodge near Rochester, NY-with a 38 caliber gun-same as what they think Tammy was shot with-
    Wilder was known to place victims in fields/swampy watery areas-sometimes not making much effort to hide them.
    Wilder stripped some of his victims of their identifying information after he killed them. Shari Lynne Ball was found nude and without any identifying info.
    Tammy has similar looks to many of his victims-especially those who lived to tell-ages 15-19 he abducted and attacked in 1976-'79.Wilder's victims ages went older after those attacks. He had been arrested in Austraila for molesting 15 and 16 yr. old's.
    Wilder however didn't drive a station wagon, or wear glasses like man seen last with Tammy.
    My question-and a big one: How did she get to Rochester, NY area and why?
    Poor girl-she had no one who really cared about her whereabouts-and why she was constantly running away from home!

16. four4rock

four4rock Member

First, I'll echo prior comment... awesome contribution toward this case. I think there's a bit of "hero" in what this website has done. Wow!

I've tried to read through this whole thing, but there's a lot so I might have missed things. Is there a timeline anywhere? For example, when was Tammy Jo Alexander 'seen' at the Lima Diner? And is there anything to indicate how she got from the diner to the cornfield?

Thanks. And, again, bravo to all of you!

17. KenShabby

KenShabby Member

18. Kimster

Kimster Former Member

CarlK and his team are my heroes! :cheer:

:hero:

Way to go!

19. CarlK90245

CarlK90245 UID Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You forgot to mention that Wilder also was into auto racing, and might be the source of Tammy's red jacket with the racing stripes on the arms.

The Livingston County Sheriff has said that they don't believe that she was killed by a serial murderer. They think she probably knew her killer, as evidenced by the personal nature of the murder, and her casual interaction with the male with whom she was seen at the diner.

20. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

If that is the case, he owes Tammy's family a public apology. I liken it to a doctor with poor bedside manner. An expert may be great at their job, it doesn't mean they know how to effectively deal with people. I expect someone who is seasoned with dealing with the public to be better able to communicate.

jmo and all that......