FL FL - Tampa, WhtFem 691UFFL, 35-55, in Tampa Bay w/ rope & cinderblock, Mar'61

The UID -
Age between 35 - 65
Weight (pounds) - 115, Estimated
Height (inches) - 64, Estimated
Probable year of death - 0 to 1961

Missing:
Mabel May Chambers - Delaware.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/11013/10

Nickname/Alias - May Jones, May Simms, May Chambers
Date last seen - January 01, 1952 at the age of 30
She would have been 41 in 1962
Height (inches) - 64.0
Weight (pounds) - 130.0
9 year difference between Mabels sighting and UID found (1961)

Mabels husband Ted Chambers worked at a place called the The Three Little Bakers.
The only place I could find in Delaware was the The Three Little Bakers Theatre Restaurant Club. I couldnt find any information on him at a quick search - just wondering if she had left him for some reason ....

There are a few pics of Mabel Chambers and she looks totally different in all of them.
But I overlaid the photo by transparency (couldn't reproduce it for the pic below though so I lightened it) - and the proportions were very close - chin / hairline / eyeline / nose.

I also noticed that the UID lady was unrecognizable when she was found - so Im not sure how close the sketches are.
Any thoughts?

I think she resembles the sketches, but I like this timeframe even less than the one for Marjorie Moore. Is it me or did a lot of women look alike back then because of their hairstyles, etc.? :banghead:

I own a Jantzen Swim suit, I had no idea they've been around for that long!

What about that one woman who went out to a beach with her husband's work (Or hers) and her and this other women went missing, I thought they were in Florida, and I'm assuming she was wearing a swim suit... I can't find her in Charley which makes me think that she went missing after this woman was found.

I own a Jantzen Swim suit, I had no idea they've been around for that long!

What about that one woman who went out to a beach with her husband's work (Or hers) and her and this other women went missing, I thought they were in Florida, and I'm assuming she was wearing a swim suit... I can't find her in Charley which makes me think that she went missing after this woman was found.

I think you mean the two women whose husbands were in a skin-diving club. They were definitely missing later than this. I want to say they were believed to be victims of Gerard Schaefer.

YES! Pamela Nater and Nancy Leichner.

They both disappeared five years after this woman was found, and they were both wearing two pieces instead of one.

I wonder if Gerard Schaefer was behind this woman's death? It looks like at least four possible victims were last seen at a beach. I don't honestly think so, but it's definitely an interesting pattern

I think he would have been too young. He was born in 1946, so he would only have been 15. According to Wikipedia, he moved with his family to FL in 1960, but it was the other side of the state. Interesting idea, though.

I think she resembles the sketches, but I like this timeframe even less than the one for Marjorie Moore. Is it me or did a lot of women look alike back then because of their hairstyles, etc.? :banghead:

I also thought the possibility of a match between these two might be missed (if it was a match) because the UID has a dental chart, but the Missing Lady doesn't. The UID doesn't have a DNA profile, where as the Missing Lady does.
I know the time is 9 years, but I cant seem to find any msm on the Missing Person.

The UID doesn't have a DNA profile,

An attempt was made in 2004. An article previously linked reports:

Forty-three years later, Pinellas detectives exhumed the woman from her grave. They took a femur bone from her coffin and shipped it to the FBI, where lab analysts will cull the woman's DNA.

Grant Would Give Old Cases Another Look

It's possible that the DNA was too degraded to produce a result in 2004, but if so things have moved on in the almost 15 years since and it would be worth trying again now.

I noticed another Jane Doe Found in Polk County.A county over.About a month and a half later.Both were killed very violently.Was there a serial killer around back then or were these two unidentified Jane Does related or connected some how with each other?This other Jane could also be the women mentioned here too.

http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase2285.html
I guess this woman was identified her page is no longer there. I wonder if both cases related?
How very sad......I hope they do get a match and can give this family some peace. Part of this article is very upsetting to me.
Using DNA technology, investigators identified skeletal remains found 28 years ago as that of a 15-year-old Boca Raton runaway.

The teen, Stephanie Sempell, was last seen by her mother in March 1976. Though Sempell's family reported her disappearance to authorities, the police never placed a missing person report in their records.
It is not always a case of the person not being reported.....sadly......back then missing persons cases were not taken as seriously as they are now.
yes I question how many missing person reports were not taken seriously back then as well as how many are still sitting in boxes and files collecting dust.

Attachments

• IMG_1413.PNG
    IMG_1413.PNG
    940.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1414.PNG
    IMG_1414.PNG
    772.9 KB · Views: 16
I’ve spent many nights at the Bay wondering about this Jane Doe.
Her body was found floating tied with a rope attached to a cinder block in the Bay between Courtney Campbell Bridge and Safety Harbor Spa.
There were quite a few bars along the Causeway and in Safety Harbor at that time.
There’s a Boat Launch in the same area. It’s the boat launch Oba Chandler used the night Joan Rogers and her two daughters parked in the boat ramp parking area and boarded Chandlers boat for the deadly sightseeing trip. Chandlers crimes has been traced back as far as 1963.

Police: Notorious killer Oba Chandler's DNA links him to 1990 South Florida murder

Last edited:
691UFFL - Unidentified Female
6D15E009-102D-4C3C-A7BE-63CD6D92B6FE.jpeg5F79753F-35AE-4169-ADC6-518466F3D662.jpeg
5546D2AC-E998-4168-8C2B-FD2F8D53CF8B.jpegB116ABEA-AB11-4C3C-8C77-56B61CE2A638.jpeg
Sketches of the victim; victim's jewelry

Date of Discovery: March 4, 1961
Location of Discovery: Safety Harbor, Pinellas County, Florida
Estimated Date of Death: 2 Days prior
State of Remains: Decomposed
Cause of Death: Homicide - Drowning and blunt force trauma

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 35 - 55 years old
Race: White
Sex: Female
Height: 5'4"
Weight: 115 lbs.
Hair: Brown. Medium length hair. Recently permed.
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: 3 inch "McBurney" type/appendectomy scar, 4 inch "Pfannenstiel" type pelvic scar. Abdominal/Pelvic surgery.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available; Upper dentures and a partial lower plate. She had seven natural lower teeth.
Fingerprints: Available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Dark green, one-piece Jantzen bathing suit (size 14/36). Her shoe size was 4 1/2.
Jewelry: Two white metal chain bracelets, one worn on each wrist. A sterling silver ring with a rose pattern. The ring originally had 25 small white stones, eight of which were missing.
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim was located floating in Tampa Bay west of Davis Causeway in Safety Harbor. She was weighted down with a 15 pound cinder block tied to her right foot.

She is buried at a Clearwater cemetery as Jane Doe.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Dist 6 Medical Examiner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Forensic Investigations
Agency Phone Number: 727-582-6800
Agency Case Number: 61-0001

Agency Name: Pinellas County Sheriff's Office Homicide Unit
Agency Phone Number: 727-582-6200
Agency Case Number: 61-7001

NCIC Case Number: U589123283
NamUs Case Number: 2304
Former Hot Case Number: 632

Information Source(s)
NamUs
FLUIDDB
Pinellas County Sheriff's Office
St. Petersburg Times News Archive - March 29, 1993

Admin Notes
Added: 2/27/07; Last Updated: 8/9/19

NamUs #UP2304

Missing Person Exclusions per NamUs:
MP4579 Evelyn Hartley 10/24/1953 La Crosse WI
MP2485 Ida Anderson 09/18/1958 Washtenaw MI

Florida Unidentified Decedants Database

Case Details
FLUIDDB Case ID
Medical Examiner District
Case Number
1961-00001
Date of Death or Discovery
1961-03-04
Estimated Age of Decedent
36-45
Presumed Race
White
Estimated Height
5' - 6'
Estimated Weight
115 pounds
Details

Location Found: Tampa Bay near Safety Harbor in Pinellas County

Hair: Medium length, brown hair, recently permed.

Eyes: No details available

Facial Features: No details available

Tattoos: None

Scars, Surgeries and Other Dental and Medical Information: 3 inch "McBurney" type appendectomy scar on abdomen, 4 inch "Pfannenstiel" type pelvic scar. Dental information available.

Jewelry: Floral design, white metal ring with total 17 stones with 8 missing, and 2 white metal bracelets.

Clothing and Shoes: Green, one-piece, "Jantzen" bathing suit, size 14/36

Personal Effects: No details available

Other Details: White female found floating in Tampa BAy west of Davis Causeway in Safety Harbor. NCIC fingerprint classification and dental information available.

Artist's Depiction: 239-434-5020, extension 1 or
naplesme@d20me.net

I think she was a victim of Oba Chandler. She was found in the same location Chandler docked his boat to pick up the Mother and Daughters he last murdered that were tied to cinderblocks floating in the bay.
Oh wow I never even heard of the mother’s and daughters?

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects