FL - Tony Youmans, 12, Jacksonville, 29 July 2007

This is one sad story. I'm glad the other little boy lived to tell.

It seems to me that dumping the gun was more than DG just being afraid LE would find it on him.

It seems like a twisted story here.

I'll assume LJ's mom and Glover aren't seeing each other anymore.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/13957401/detail.html
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- With no answers about how their 12-year-old son was shot and killed three weeks ago, Tony Youmans' parents and friends turned out Thursday morning for the arraignment of a man who police said is somehow connected with the boy's death.

The medical examiner said Youmans, whose body was found woods less than a mile from his home two days after he was reported missing, died of a single gunshot wound to the head. Officials are awaiting toxicology and other forensic reports before releasing a final report on how he was shot.

Derrick Glover, 23, pleaded not guilty on Thursday morning to a charge of furnishing a gun to a minor. Police have said Glover is linked to Youmans' death, but they haven't said how

Hopefully the family will get some answers at the next hearing.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/13993420/detail.html
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Nearly a month after a 12-year-old boy was found dead of a gunshot wound, a Florida Times-Union article published Tuesday cites two unnamed sources claiming that Tony Youmans accidentally shot himself.

The newspaper story says that a 13-year-old friend of Youmans claimed that the boy was playing with a gun when it went off. The friend said he initially tried to save Youmans, then panicked, took the gun and ran home.

The medical examiner said Youmans, whose body was found woods less than a mile from his home two days after he was reported missing, died of a single gunshot wound to the head. Officials are awaiting toxicology and other forensic reports before releasing a final report on how he was shot

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/082807/met_195147616.shtml

The 13-year-old witness also told police that after Tony shot himself in the head, he tried to save his friend's life.
But after blood began coming from the bullet hole in Tony's temple as L.J. attempted CPR, the boy put a hat over his friend's face, grabbed the gun and ran home.
L.J. told police he gave the gun to his mother's 23-year-old boyfriend, Derrick Glover, before they made a secret pact that they'd be best friends for life and would never tell anyone what happened.
L.J. gave that account of Tony's accidental death to detectives after hours of questioning during the investigation into Tony's disappearance and death last month, according to the newspaper's two sources.
The Times-Union isn't identifying them because Jacksonville law enforcement officials have warned witnesses and detectives not to discuss details of the investigation.
Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Assistant Chief Rick Graham told the Times-Union that police have heard the same account about Tony's death. However, Graham wouldn't say if that is the theory of the boy's death that detectives are following as they continue their probe. He also wouldn't discuss L.J.'s statements to police.
The newspaper's sources said the boys went into the woods after Tony bought the gun. Tony fired the gun once and nothing happened. The fatal shot came seconds later when Tony put the gun to his temple and pulled the trigger a second time, the sources said. Jacksonville police recovered Tony's body in a wooded lot two blocks from his family's apartment on July 31, two days after his mother, Kelly Kidd, reported him missing. Later that night police arrested Glover on a felony charge of giving a gun to a child, a charge he pleaded not guilty to in court last week.

What a senseless, STUPID death.
Why did the boys have the gun in the first place?
Why did the boy hold the guy to his head?

Sounds almost like they were playing a form of russian roulette but thats only a wild guess.

Sounds almost like they were playing a form of russian roulette but thats only a wild guess.

I don't know. I'm still picking up a strange little vibe here that makes me think of suicide.

From the article:

The newspaper's sources said the boys went into the woods after Tony bought the gun. Tony fired the gun once and nothing happened. The fatal shot came seconds later when Tony put the gun to his temple and pulled the trigger a second time, the sources said.

However, they do believe Tony may have been scared of someone and exchanged quarters he found in a shed at a neighborhood store for a $50 bill he used to buy a gun just before he went missing.

The parents admit that Tony took $50 dollars worth of quarters that he found in a neighborhood store 'shed.' (I'd call that stealing myself, but maybe I'm just a hardazz) And cashed the quarters in specifically to purchase the gun........either he was afraid of the owners of the store, or somebody was stashing illegally obtained quarters in the shed and THEY got pizzed off at Tony----------but all he had to do was give the quarters back if that was the case. He did not have to cash the quarters in to purchase a gun to make things right.

He wanted a gun, and when he got it, he pointed it at his head and pulled the trigger. It could be an accident, of course, but I just get this weird vibe.

I don't know. I'm still picking up a strange little vibe here that makes me think of suicide. . .
Well, it is certainly possible. Just remember that the story we are hearing all this info from is being told from the one that covered up the whole thing for so long and when he finally "came clean" he may well have been tempted to minimize his role in things and put as much of the blame as possible on the dead kid.

Well, it is certainly possible. Just remember that the story we are hearing all this info from is being told from the one that covered up the whole thing for so long and when he finally "came clean" he may well have been tempted to minimize his role in things and put as much of the blame as possible on the dead kid.
and why move the body if he killed himself?

and why move the body if he killed himself?

I don't think the body was moved.

I do think that perhaps the LJ kid perhaps was the one who was holding the gun when it went off and not Tony.

http://www.cbs47.com/content/topstories/story.aspx?content_id=ed2f66bd-3053-46e0-be58-8eba9932c064 if the body was not moved then why was it not found when the area was searched?

Sherri, it has happened many, many times that searchers pass within eyesight distance of a body and they don't find it; the body will be found at a later date. Chandra Levy is just one example.

I don't think Tony's body was moved----I could be wrong!------I think it was just missed on the previous search. It would have been relatively easy for LE to determine if the body had been moved by the condition of the body and the condition of the area surrounding the body. But IIFC, LE has not said one word about the body being moved, only Tony's family is saying that.

Sherri, it has happened many, many times that searchers pass within eyesight distance of a body and they don't find it; the body will be found at a later date. Chandra Levy is just one example.

I don't think Tony's body was moved----I could be wrong!------I think it was just missed on the previous search. It would have been relatively easy for LE to determine if the body had been moved by the condition of the body and the condition of the area surrounding the body. But IIFC, LE has not said one word about the body being moved, only Tony's family is saying that.

I totally agree, there has been other cases where search teams walked right over a body and never saw it. I think that the dad is believing his son was moved to that location cause he believes that he was paying close attention to the search he was conducting himself, sometimes search crews aren't looking straight down at the ground under there own feet but instead will be looking almost straight ahead and downward, it is easy to overlook something, that is why most search teams will have two or three searches of the same area. this is why the childs body was located as quick as it was for the fact that addittional searchs of the same locations were checked again. had it not been located then, he would have eventually been located due to the location in which this area is. prayers for this little fellows family, may he rest in peace.

http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/083007/met_195826086.shtml

Today marks a month since Jacksonville police arrested Derrick Glover on a felony charge of furnishing a gun to a child. That happened hours after a search party found Tony's remains in a wooded lot next to the apartments where Glover lived with his girlfriend and her son L.J. McMillian, who was the victim's best friend.
In court Thursday, Glover's lawyer Ann Finnell argued before Judge Charles Arnold that reporters have bullied witnesses into talking about the case. She said she felt intimidated after a TV reporter approached her at the home of Glover's family in an attempt to get a comment.
The lawyer had a big screen set up to attempt to replay that TV news story, which technical difficulties prevented. Before the judge took the bench, Assistant State Attorney Bernie de la Rionda questioned Finnell's need for the big screen.
"I'm just saying, 'You don't want publicity?' " he said to the public defender.
Finnell also asked Arnold to seal public records relating to the police investigation that authorities have to hand over to the defense for trial preparation, something Tony's parents have objected to publicly.
"I see all these other cases on the news," his mother Kelly Kidd said outside the courtroom later. "...What's so different about my baby? Why does his have to be so hush-hush?"
Police have said Tony died of a single gunshot wound, but not if his death was an accident, a homicide or a suicide. They are still awaiting the results of physical evidence before making that determination, Sheriff's Office Assistant Chief Rick Graham said later Thursday.
Kidd and Tony's father Mike Youmans sat in court wearing T-shirts in their son's memory, as did several other supporters. Glover sat at a table with his lawyer wearing an orange jail uniform and shackles. Some of his family members who came to court declined comment after the proceeding.
Lawyers for the Times-Union and WJXT TV-4 argued against Finnell's request for an order to seal records before a trial, which the public defender asked the judge to schedule within 90 days. Times-Union lawyer Tim Conner said reporters have a constitutional right to interview witnesses and report about it. "There's not any evidence there's some kind of substantial threat to the administration of justice here," he told the judge.

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- Pictures and police reports just released from the State Attorney's Office lay out evidence in the investigation of Tony Youmans' death.

An evidence list details that when the 12-year- old boy's body was found in woods near his apartment, it was already showing signs of decomposing.

It also says there was a gunshot wound to the head.

Investigators checked the body with a gunshot residue kit and collected three unidentified hairs or fibers as evidence.

These pictures show the scene inside suspect Derrick Glover's house.

Glover is charged with selling Youmans a gun.

Detectives found the kitchen floor had recently been cleaned with bleach, but the rest of the apartment wasn't cleaned.

They found a live rifle round under a mattress.

Other pictures document the police search of Glover's mother's house. http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=91860

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back