Found Deceased FL - Tracey Lynn Rieker, 44, Venice, 30 Sept 2020

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by HouseRules, Oct 4, 2020.

1. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

Uh oh.

Venice Police Department

At approximately 11:45 a.m. today, Saturday, Oct. 10, divers with the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office and North Port PD, assisted by the FWC, Venice PD and Sarasota K9 Search and Rescue, located a green Nissan Xterra in a large pond in the Toscana Isles subdivision in Venice, close to Knights Trail. Inside the vehicle was a deceased female, believed to be that of Tracey Lynn Rieker, 44, missing from her Venice home since Sept. 30. Authorities are in the process of recovering the vehicle at this time. The case is being treated as a traffic homicide. An investigation continues to determine Rieker’s cause of death. As more information becomes available it will be released by VPD. There will be no press conference at this time.

2. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

A traffic homicide?

As in, someone ran her off the road?

3. Nancy19XX

Nancy19XX Well-Known Member

I am so relieved they found her! Now for some answers and possibly justice from the sounds of it. MOO

4. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

I’ve never heard that term - so yes that’s what I’m thinking

5. YaYa_521

YaYa_521 Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

A road rage shooting/car-jacking attempt gone really really bad? Either way, I hate this update. I was hoping she'd just taken some time away with her car locked up in a friend's garage. This isn't the outcome anyone would want. My thoughts to her loved ones.

6. zinnia2020

zinnia2020 Member

At 3am? Not likely. It is a dirt road and construction site.

7. Ontario Mom

Ontario Mom stay safe ♥ be kind

We have no way to know yet what time or even what day, her car went into the water. Unless I've missed something?

8. Gawonii

Gawonii Member

9. Avalon85

Avalon85 Active Member

Her car was found in a pond very close to her house. Not even 100 yards. It’s unlikely there was any traffic at 3am.

Kori17, Marg from Oz, cass523 and 6 others like this.
  10. Avalon85

Avalon85 Active Member

11. TheLoadedGoat

TheLoadedGoat Curious Beyond Measure

Why a homicide and not suicide? There must be something about her body or the car that tells LE she didn't willingly drive into the pond.

12. turanna25

turanna25 Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was thinking. I wonder if she was found in another part of the car (not the drivers seat).

13. FrostOwl

FrostOwl -

The question is if it's something specific for this case, or if it's something done for any/every time there is an accident with a fatality. Here it says that every traffic fatality case is examined by the Traffic Homicide Unit in another Florida county, maybe it's the same here?
    Traffic Homicide Unit

14. Ontario Mom

Ontario Mom stay safe ♥ be kind

15. PayrollNerd

Nothing new just another source.

Police: Deceased woman found inside of green Nissan Xterra in large pond in Venice

According to police, there was dead woman inside of the vehicle and they believe that this person was 44-year-old Tracey Rieker, who was reported missing last week after not being seen since September 30th.

Rieker’s family has been notified and authorities are in the process of recovering the Xterra.

Police say this cases is being treated as a traffic homicide and that this is an ongoing investigation.

16. PayrollNerd

That's what I think too. Every time I've ever heard of a vehicular type death, it's been called a traffic homicide. Meaning the death occurred during a traffic event. Not necessarily intentional but accidental.

17. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

I’m watching this to see what is released

18. Avalon85

Avalon85 Active Member

I’m local to this area and I want to point out this the police here get VERY few homicides. We will go many years without a homicide. This may not be that but it’s just letting you know. Sarasota sees these kinds of cases but not Venice.

19. Coffiecat

Coffiecat Well-Known Member

20. PayrollNerd

Family's statement below. More at link.

Police find body believed to be missing Venice mom Tracey Rieker inside submerged car

On Saturday afternoon the Rieker & Spurry families released the following statement:

"Our family is grateful for the outpouring of support and donations of both time and resources in the search for Tracey. The outcome of the investigation is shocking and devastating, and we wish this could have been investigated sooner to bring needed closure for the family. At this time, we are grieving as an extended and cohesive family unit, and request privacy while we work through this."

According to police, this case is being treated as a traffic homicide. An investigation is ongoing to determine the cause of Rieker’s death.