FL FL - Viola Findley, 28, Volusia County, 1 Sept 1983

Investigators digging up area behind Volusia home in search of Viola Findley

I finally Was able to get VCSO to dig up the yard and I was able to fly out there for It and I literally sat and watched them dig up three cars for two days. There are more cars buried on this property but the police said that they can’t just keep digging up buried cars. I don’t necessarily like It, but I understand. I think They all thought we’d find her, as did i . I do Believe she’s there, somewhere.

New tips are coming in to me from the broadcast so that’s great!! Overall, a lot of movement in this case and I feel It WILL be solved!!!!

Viola Marie Findley – The Charley Project

Details of Disappearance
Findley was last seen in Bunnell, Florida on September 6, 1983. She lived in Waterloo, Iowa at the time of her disappearance, but was visiting family and friends in the Daytona Beach, Florida area. She briefly met with her sister during that time period and said she needed money to get a bus ticket to go back home to Iowa, where she had three young children. She never arrived in Iowa and has never been heard from again, and it's not clear she ever left Florida.

At the time of Findley's disappearance, her mother lived on Old Samsula Road in Port Orange, Florida. Her mother was out of state at the time, but Findley wasn't aware of this and may have gone to her home to see her. In June 2021, authorities conducted a dig behind a home on Old Samsula Road, looking for evidence in Findley's case.

Findley had no prior history of legal trouble or instability, and her loved ones don't believe she would have ever abandoned her children. The children were placed in foster care after her disappearance. Findley's mother had a presumptive death certificate issued for her in 1995, but her remains have never been found and her case remains unsolved.

Unfortunately the charley project description is incorrect. She was not last seen on sept 6, 1983 in Bunnell. She filed a police report for money stolen on the 6th from her home in Waterloo. She was last seen by her brothers and sister in Bunnell and port orange, respectively in late September sometime around the 26th.

I now have reason to believe Viola made it back to Waterloo and something happened to her there. People know things but are afraid to talk.
I think this is bigger than just Viola.

A few new things.

I was able to get a copy of the burglary report that Viola filed on 6 sept 1983. It states she left to go out with a friend on the evening of the 5th and when she returned home in the early morning hours she realized her purse was empty. She had put $245 in her purse and hid It behind the couch. The money was the only thing missing. She also stated she believed her neighbors did It because they knew her back door didn’t lock. Even with this new information, I still think the burglary and her disappearance aren’t connected, not directly at least.
I do think her loosing all of her money for the month of September had something to do with her going to Florida.
I was also told that she went to Florida with a man and that man came back to Waterloo without her. I think the story about helping a woman who was being abused was made up to cover the real reason she went. However I don’t know that real reason but I do have my guesses.
I wont give up.

Viola's NamUs profile was modified yesterday, 11/22/21
Currently she has 10 rule outs.
1258 02/18/1984 Broward FL
UP3036 04/10/1985 St. Johns FL
UP6629 02/03/1991 Frederick VA
UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA
UP6661 02/03/1991 Stafford VA
UP6796 11/18/1985 Alleghany VA
UP6642 08/07/1986 Chesterfield VA
UP6665 05/14/2007 Petersburg VA
UP8493 12/06/1993 Fairfax VA
UP4527 04/30/1984 Harris TX

I now have reason to believe Viola made it back to Waterloo and something happened to her there. People know things but are afraid to talk.
I think this is bigger than just Viola.

A few new things.

I was able to get a copy of the burglary report that Viola filed on 6 sept 1983. It states she left to go out with a friend on the evening of the 5th and when she returned home in the early morning hours she realized her purse was empty. She had put $245 in her purse and hid It behind the couch. The money was the only thing missing. She also stated she believed her neighbors did It because they knew her back door didn’t lock. Even with this new information, I still think the burglary and her disappearance aren’t connected, not directly at least.
I do think her loosing all of her money for the month of September had something to do with her going to Florida.
I was also told that she went to Florida with a man and that man came back to Waterloo without her. I think the story about helping a woman who was being abused was made up to cover the real reason she went. However I don’t know that real reason but I do have my guesses.
I wont give up.

You've made such progress!

Circumstances dont change.
Eyewitness accounts change.
Memories change and forget.
But circumstances NEVER change.
These are the facts that I have been able to prove.

Feb 14, 1983 Viola enrolls Buffy into Krieg Elementary in Waterloo.
The address is listed as ICS which stands for Integrated Crisis Services. They helped single mothers get on their feet.

In August of 83, Viola and the three children move into 1707 Black Hawk st in Waterloo.

Sept 6, 1983 Viola reports that $245 was stolen from her living room while she was out. She suspected the neighbors did it because they knew her back door did not lock and she also stated she had only been in town a short time and didnt know many people.

Sept 22, 1983 Viola leaves the kids with a sitter and goes to Florida (presumably with a man). Her reasons for going are unknown. My theory is she was trying to work for money or planning on moving back home. At any rate, I was told that this man returned to Waterloo without her. This goes with the story that Viola told Betti where she stated her and her travel partner got into an argument and they left her. Viola was trying to get bus fare to go back to her kids.

Oct 3, 1983 The sitter calls DHS and states they can no longer care for the children. The next day the kids are placed in their first foster home.

Nothing is done to try to find Viola other than the courts trying to serve her summons, which are unsuccessful. Once the kids are placed back in their maternal grandmothers care, it goes away and no one ever looks for Viola.

It’s up. Search Cold Case Chronicles and it’s been up for a week. Sorry for the late post.

No idea who these remains are but it’s certainly within the realm of possibility that they could be Viola’s. She was last seen at her sisters house about 15 miles from this location.

No idea who these remains are but it’s certainly within the realm of possibility that they could be Viola’s. She was last seen at her sisters house about 15 miles from this location.

Hopefully they will post details as the become available. It could be a long wait though.

Investigators digging up area behind Volusia home in search of Viola Findley

I finally Was able to get VCSO to dig up the yard and I was able to fly out there for It and I literally sat and watched them dig up three cars for two days. There are more cars buried on this property but the police said that they can’t just keep digging up buried cars. I don’t necessarily like It, but I understand. I think They all thought we’d find her, as did i . I do Believe she’s there, somewhere.

New tips are coming in to me from the broadcast so that’s great!! Overall, a lot of movement in this case and I feel It WILL be solved!!!!
Why was this property focused on? Did it belong to someone she knew? Sorry it’s not clear from the article.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back