Flippy Esso: what do we know?

Originally posted by Jayelles
It seems an extreme measure for something that is potentially among the lower categories of offence? I could be totally wrong. I thought electronic tagging was fairly costly - but a cheaper-than-prison alternative for our government's over-stretched coffers.

No, electronic monitoring is very cheap. In California, for example, the cost is cited as $10 a day, versus $40 a day to keep a person occupying a bed in jail. In Denver, they have implemented the other California solution to costs; the criminal him- or herself must pay the per-day cost of the monitor!

Originally posted by Ivy
Maikai...Colfax aside, I find it curious that the Ramseys themselves didn't immediately tell investigators about the workmen they'd had dealings with, including Flippy.
The Ramseys did not know anything about the ankle bracelet; a coworker mentioned this AFTER the murder.

Anyway, I'm glad that more information has been develeoped on this. I don't think such monitoring is done for short term sentences, but it might be. I don't know if there is any sort of suspected but uncharged offenses, though I would doubt it.

I think a defendan't flight risk and the violence of the crime has something to do with it.

If the court thinks someone will take off, they will issue an ankle bracelet, this may vary from state to state.

Also, a defendant's prior record will probably have alot to do with it too

It might even have been simply a case of a spiteful co-worker since their is no corroborating evidence to support the "talked alot about the wealthy class" allegation.

Toth...

I said, I find it curious that the Ramseys themselves didn't immediately tell investigators about the workmen they'd had dealings with, including Flippy.

You replied, The Ramseys did not know anything about the ankle bracelet; a coworker mentioned this AFTER the murder.

Toth, I wasn't referring to whether the Ramseys knew about an ankle bracelet Flippy might have worn. I was questioning why the Ramseys didn't tell investigators about the workmen (especially Flippy) whom they'd had dealings with before the murder. Why were the Ramseys so quick to point the finger at their friends, and not even mention these strangers they'd had contact with before JonBenet was murdered?

I don't think the Ramseys ever met Flippy Esso. He was someone hired by the subcontractor and they had dealt only with the general contractor

I totally agree, Ivy. Even if they did deal only with the contractor, you'd think that they would give that information plus informatin on the guys for whom they prepared lunch, per Colfax's writings. I contend that had the Rs allowed themselves to have been questioned by the police in a timely fashion, they could have been "cleared" if possible, and the BPD could have moved on quickly to other suspects.

I have been "outa da loop" and involved with serious home issues,but just skimming through here it seems odd to me that the identity of a sex offender is kept private. Why? I don't think anonymity should be a privilege of any felon.
JMO IMO

Originally posted by Ivy
Maikai...Colfax aside, I find it curious that the Ramseys themselves didn't immediately tell investigators about the workmen they'd had dealings with, including Flippy.

Right away, John told the police he thought it was an inside job, indicating he didn't buy the "small foreign faction" bit. If John thought the perp was someone familiar with the layout of the house and who might have had access to information such as John's bonus, why didn't John tell LE about Flippy, who'd actually worked in the house?

Btw, thanks for the Lindsley information.

Ivy......perhaps this guy came up later--as a result of a tip and further investigation by his private investigators. You'd think the private investigator would have obtained a list of contractors that had done work in the house, and then checked with them as to who the subs were. He could have given the police the list of all the people that had worked in the house, but they may not have been investigated.

If he was wearing an ankle device, he was probably on a home detention program. As Why_Nutt explained, if the subject strays outside of the range, officers are notified. Here, they are not only allowed but required to keep a job while serving out their sentence. They are given a short period of time to get to the job and then home and are monitored frequently by the community service officers.

Was it home detention (we assume at nights only) because he had been convicted or was he on bail? Was the conviction of a sex offense or merely the original charge?

Please folks,, for just awhile can we limit this to the posters who are in Boulder or atleast in Colorado and have access to the court files?

Verify, but do not post his identity.
What were the original charges?
What was the disposition of that charge?

I really do think that WhyNutt's original post was highly relevant, however, it must also be remembered that this man did not come to light immediately. It was a co-worker who mentioned it and it is my understanding that the co-worker was by no means prompt in doing so. It would seem that this would be a lead someone would have followed, but I just don't know. I don't think the BPD would have bothered with it though.

Toth, no need for all the cloak and dagger. Why don't you cut to the chase and contact Keenan or Smit or Wood, or even the Ramseys themselves, about Flippy? I'm sure any one of them would be delighted to be handed another "suspect" to throw under the bus.

Why not contact the BPD, then it would be sure to be ignored....

ajt, the DA is in charge of the investigation now, not the BPD.

sissi...How's this? Shawn "Badboy" Thomas Cline. There. I supplied the missing B in S.B.T.C and turned Cline into a viable suspect. lol

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood
Back