Florida - Coronavirus Covid-19 #2

A week or so from now the numbers should be interesting!

Florida DOH reports 3,198 new cases ahead of Labor Day weekend.

The Florida Department of Health says that COVID cases in the state rose 3,198 on Friday, bringing the total to 640,211 cases.

The state is also reporting 100 more deaths of residents since Thursday. The death toll among Floridians is now up to 11,750. Death toll spikes do not indicate that all reported deaths have occurred in the last 24 hours, just that the cause of death has been released to the DOH since the last report.

Here is Sunday's update for FL.....

Coronavirus deaths in Florida surpassed 12,000 on Sunday, as the state added 38 deaths and 2,564 cases.

The total number of cases across the state is now 646,431. According to the Department of Health data, 114 hospitalizations were reported.
Florida coronavirus deaths top 12,000 as state adds 2,564 cases

I've a four-day Labor Day holiday weekend this year - the only place we went to was a small preserve a few towns south of us by the Myakka, where it was cooler with the ongoing heat. Only a handful of people at the preserve, walking their dogs. Here's a photo I took of the river:

Attachments

• Myakka-2020-5.jpg
    Myakka-2020-5.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 8
The latest.....

Florida passes 13,000 coronavirus deaths, added 2,355 cases Wednesday

Florida surpassed 13,000 total coronavirus deaths by adding another 154 on Wednesday, according to the Florida Department of Health.

The state also added 2,355 coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of infections to 671,201 since the pandemic began.

Cases that resulted in a hospitalization increased by 200 admissions Wednesday.

Hospitalizations: About 2,600 people in Florida were hospitalized with a primary diagnosis of coronavirus, according to the Agency for Health Care Administration.

Pediatric cases of COVID-19 rising in Florida

President Trump at a rally Monday night declared that in some states “like nobody” younger than 18 is affected by COVID-19, but Florida’s pediatric report which was released Tuesday morning shows more than 56,000 people younger than 18 are infected in the Sunshine State.
Statewide there have been over 56,000 pediatric cases, over 700 hospitalizations and eight deaths.

Pediatric cases of COVID-19 rising in Florida

President Trump at a rally Monday night declared that in some states “like nobody” younger than 18 is affected by COVID-19, but Florida’s pediatric report which was released Tuesday morning shows more than 56,000 people younger than 18 are infected in the Sunshine State.
Statewide there have been over 56,000 pediatric cases, over 700 hospitalizations and eight deaths.
I knew this would happen. FL is one of the few states where most schools are operating in-person- and started early-to-mid Aug. I know many teachers in FL & they are all terrified. Face shields, sweating all day, massive irregular lengthy absences- and no disclosure due to HIPAA & order of DeSantis. They have no idea if students are playing hooky, ate a bad hamburger or have covid. No real learning is going on. They are risking health to be essential day care. Don’t get me started! Moo

I knew this would happen. FL is one of the few states where most schools are operating in-person- and started early-to-mid Aug. I know many teachers in FL & they are all terrified. Face shields, sweating all day, massive irregular lengthy absences- and no disclosure due to HIPAA & order of DeSantis. They have no idea if students are playing hooky, ate a bad hamburger or have covid. No real learning is going on. They are risking health to be essential day care. Don’t get me started! Moo
I agree, don’t get me started either... seems like par for the course in our state and decisions that have been made. I also have many friends that are teachers and other professionals in the school system. Some have even opted for early retirement.

moo

SMH. He/they can lift restrictions till the cows come home, but until people feel safe from the virus, they will limit spending in shops, restaurants, travel etc. So if the purpose is to restore the economy, this won’t be a cure. My fam’s just become resigned to a quieter, more introverted lifestyle at our house- until a year after we know a vaccine is working. On the scale of hard knocks, it’s just not that bad to patiently ride it out. Jmo

SMH. He/they can lift restrictions till the cows come home, but until people feel safe from the virus, they will limit spending in shops, restaurants, travel etc. So if the purpose is to restore the economy, this won’t be a cure. My fam’s just become resigned to a quieter, more introverted lifestyle at our house- until a year after we know a vaccine is working. On the scale of hard knocks, it’s just not that bad to patiently ride it out. Jmo
Agreed. I’ve been isolating since 2015 when I went to a work from home job with a software company. Then 2 years later I was diagnosed with cancer, had a transplant, more cancer treatment and here I am, 5 years later still isolating. I was never a social butterfly anyway but still. I miss the freedom of popping out to a store, traveling to see friends and family, etc. Online ordering has been good and it does save gas.

Plus, there are going to be a lot of people who cannot take the vaccine for medical reasons. My youngest is allergic to eggs and can’t get the flu shot. She has asthma too. I think isolating more frequently is going to become the new norm.

I see that there are other posts here about the reopening of Florida's economy, but I hadn't known about this until I read it on local TV station website.

Florida reopens state's economy despite ongoing pandemic

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Gov. Ron DeSantis lifted all restrictions on restaurants and other businesses in Florida on Friday, and banned local fines against people who refuse to wear masks as he seeks to reopen the state's economy despite the spread of the coronavirus...

Best wishes to the people of Florida for safety and good health.

I see that there are other posts here about the reopening of Florida's economy, but I hadn't known about this until I read it on local TV station website.

Florida reopens state's economy despite ongoing pandemic

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Gov. Ron DeSantis lifted all restrictions on restaurants and other businesses in Florida on Friday, and banned local fines against people who refuse to wear masks as he seeks to reopen the state's economy despite the spread of the coronavirus...

Best wishes to the people of Florida for safety and good health.
Wondering how this impacts school districts requiring masks. Instead of a fine, they’ve forced children that won’t wear masks to virtual instead of in-class instruction. Will they no longer have the right to enforce this? Very concerned for my friends in education.

Last edited:
County and city mayors were caught off guard by Desantis’ order yesterday opening up the state and about masks. Sadly, he didn’t inform the ones in charge of their areas ahead of time and left them scrambling with calls coming in, leaving their area attorneys to research the matter of masks, etc. as most areas want safe protocols to continue. Sounds like yet another mess he has created.

I saw this on the local news last night, but here is an article...

Orlando, Orange county mayors urge masks, distancing in spite of DeSantis order

Here in South Florida, the inability to enforce mask ordinances may be the death knell for thousands. The people who try and resist the mandates will now be free to endanger people in every indoor venue. IMO, the DeSantis order to prohibit cities and counties from enforcing mask ordinances is one of the most extraordinary developments in the political landscape of the pandemic in the US. It mirrors Georgia to some degree, but we in Florida have a much larger population. It seems deliberately formulated to increase the rate and scale of infections. Perhaps it can be explained by a belief in herd immunity. The other measures to open businesses are part of the difficult calculation of how to preserve economic activity while limiting the spread of disease. Those measures are understandable, because it is difficult to balance disease control measures with economic impacts.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back