Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was fun - the center I cut out for the Skittles, we made cake pops with. Let the kiddies do that. Surprisingly, neither of them are big on sweets. They ate a little, it was more the "surprise" when we cut and removed the first slice and all the candies fell out. They were here for 4 days, when they left this morning, I dumped 3/4 of the cake which was left. So not as much an overload as it looks.

Well shoot, I would have liked a piece! ;)

Middle/end of July! Where has the summer gone?

Loving my Foodi Grill, made bratwurst last night. That thing is fantastic. They were crispy, no fat. And, yes, we have a Grill outside, but it is over 100 out there, with terrible smoke from all of the forest fires.

Local weather reports in recent days have included "smoke" advisories due to the massive fires in the west. We didn't notice it here, but there were many photos that featured shroud-like conditions in and around Detroit. We had a torrential downpour early Tuesday evening that completely wiped out the "smoke".

Last edited:
Local weather reports in recent days have included "smoke" advisories due to the massive fires in the west. We didn't notice it here, but there were many photos that featured shroud-like conditions in and around Detroit. We had a torrential downpour early Tuesday evening that completely wiped out the "smoke".

We are having an orange air quality alert due to smoke here in central NC too. The sky is hazy with smoke this morning. It seems that the smoke is keeping the temperature down a bit.

We are having an orange air quality alert due to smoke here in central NC too. The sky is hazy with smoke this morning. It seems that the smoke is keeping the temperature down a bit.

It is plain miserable here. Hot outside, with smoke/haze. We had wind awhile ago, blew smoke out, but whipped up the fires, so the smoke is worse now.

Smoky here too. Some of the fires are near, relatively speaking, though none are threatening my area.

The giant fire in Oregon is less than 50 miles away but the wind pushes the smoke away from us, mostly.

Our smoke is mostly from fires well to the south of us, in middle and eastern California.

Smoky here too. Some of the fires are near, relatively speaking, though none are threatening my area.

The giant fire in Oregon is less than 50 miles away but the wind pushes the smoke away from us, mostly.

Our smoke is mostly from fires well to the south of us, in middle and eastern California.

Maybe we need a 2021 Wildfires thread. We have relatives in Oregon who live in the Salem and Portland areas, and on the coast, so we pay attention to what's going on out there. I see there is one for Western Canada: CANADA - B.C. wildfires causing death & mayhem - 2021

Maybe we need a 2021 Wildfires thread. We have relatives in Oregon who live in the Salem and Portland areas, and on the coast, so we pay attention to what's going on out there. I see there is one for Western Canada: CANADA - B.C. wildfires causing death & mayhem - 2021

Maybe, because really, this is just the beginning of fire season. Lots of fires going on around me, not really close, but close enough to be affected by the smoke. We live in town, so our house is not in any danger, unless there is really a horrific fire.

I read that the fire in Oregon is so big, it creates it's own "weather", including a possible "fire tornado". Yikes!

From fire clouds to fire tornadoes, here's how wildfires can create their own weather

Maybe, because really, this is just the beginning of fire season. Lots of fires going on around me, not really close, but close enough to be affected by the smoke. We live in town, so our house is not in any danger, unless there is really a horrific fire.

I read that the fire in Oregon is so big, it creates it's own "weather", including a possible "fire tornado". Yikes!

From fire clouds to fire tornadoes, here's how wildfires can create their own weather

Do you know how to start a new thread in the "weather" forum? I've never started a thread. I'm hoping someone else can do it!

It's the "No Grill No Fire Pit Summer of 2021" all over the country I guess.

In metro Detroit, we're having to contend with heavy rain and flooding. We've had some major downpours that easily dump several inches of rain in a very short period of time. One evening this week, it rained so hard that we couldn't see the house across the street - like a winter "whiteout", only this was summer rain. It was also very windy with rain blowing down the street. Thankfully, the downpour only lasted 25-30 minutes. We had a major downpour in the wee hours last night, and more storms and heavy rain are forecast for this evening. At least we don't have to water flowers and lawn frequently. Whatever weather hazards you're experiencing in your part of the country, please be safe.

We got takeout from Alibi last night. I've never really cared for the crust on Alibi's very popular, award-winning pizza and had only one slice of the ham/mushroom pie. Their crust is "chewy", and I prefer a crispy crust or Detroit-style deep dish. Alibi's homemade tomato sauce also has a lot of oregano that doesn't agree with me. I ate most of the antipasto salad that we got to accompany the pizza. I assembled a crustless quiche for tonight - eggs, spinach, mushrooms, and assorted leftover cheese. DH will probably stop at Nino's for fresh fish after his Sunday swim.

Last edited:
This rain coming in from the tropical storm may cool us down. I’m wanting grilled something like burgers or chicken. I was looking online for one of those burger patty presses. Too pricy. Maybe the dollar store has one. I have 5lbs of beef to do something with.

This rain coming in from the tropical storm may cool us down. I’m wanting grilled something like burgers or chicken. I was looking online for one of those burger patty presses. Too pricy. Maybe the dollar store has one. I have 5lbs of beef to do something with.

My Grandmother used Tuna fish cans, with both ends cut off. She would weigh the beef, put it in the tuna can, and top it with waxed paper and press it. I think she just used a cup...not sure.

Five pounds of beef? That is great. Beef is getting crazy expensive.

My Grandmother used Tuna fish cans, with both ends cut off. She would weigh the beef, put it in the tuna can, and top it with waxed paper and press it. I think she just used a cup...not sure.

Five pounds of beef? That is great. Beef is getting crazy expensive.
I don’t normally notice the price, if it’s even on the package, when I put away my food from the distribution. But now that you said that, I looked. I have 4 oblong chubs of beef that are 1 lb each. Then this 1 package is $9.99!! Wow.

I looked at the whole chicken. Yikes! I think I’ll thaw it, cut it up and marinate it.

The big monthly food distribution was this morning but I didn’t go. My kiddo is now 30 minutes south. So I need less food on hand. My friend went tho. They gave her tons of stuff!

Attachments

• 41517A13-4EC9-40AC-A7E5-695E46046A27.jpeg
    41517A13-4EC9-40AC-A7E5-695E46046A27.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 30
  • F957D54D-974C-40A4-A0B7-A2DEC81AA963.jpeg
    F957D54D-974C-40A4-A0B7-A2DEC81AA963.jpeg
    126.6 KB · Views: 28
I've been working at a local Indian restaurant for a month + now, and we get sent home with a small meal (usually butter chicken with rice or naan) after work everyday, so I've been eating a lot of that. Lots of naan in general - so good! They have chili naan I've been dying to try, with whole chili peppers put on top of the naan and then baked in the tandoor oven. Yum! Also from my workplace I have discovered a love of pakora, vegetables/meat/fish/paneer (Indian cheese) breaded in spices and chickpea flour and fried. My favorites are eggplant and mushroom, but I also want to try fish.

There's a Chinese takeout restaurant by me that I try to avoid because I like it too much. I went today and got a plate of lemon chicken and a carton of egg drop soup. Egg drop soup is probably one of my favorite foods ever, although I do wish the restaurant made it with green onions as well. This one comes with peas and cubed carrots. I've been thinking about adding some white pepper and soy sauce next time I get some (I'm too lazy to chop up green onions for it). Mushrooms would also be good, I think.

I avoid cooking as much as possible, but the SO thankfully likes it, especially meat. I monitor my red meat intake to try to steer clear of gout, which I'm paranoid about (I only eat beef in terms of red meat, which I do enjoy, but I am a beer lover and that's pushing the envelope in terms of gout risk, so I prefer to not risk eating red meat more than a few times a month), but we enjoy homemade burgers with mushroom sauce when appropriate. That might sound weird, but it's delicious. IIRC, it's chopped mushrooms he cooks in a mixture of butter and spices. I prefer having my mushroom sauce burgers with a slice of pepper jack cheese for a little kick.

I'm not sure what I would do with 5 lbs of beef. I've never made or had a shepherd's pie, I think that would be good. Maybe a bolognese sauce?

Blueberry Banana Bread

This was delicious. I am not overly fond of banana bread, it can be dense and heavy, but this one was very light. I liked the addition of blueberries. Super yum.

I am still trying to find everything from moving...ugh. never again. I have my mixer, but can't find the beaters that go with it. So, I have been mixing everything in the Vitamix. Worked well on this dough. Not so much on the mashed potatoes the other day. Glue?!

Blueberry Banana Bread

This was delicious. I am not overly fond of banana bread, it can be dense and heavy, but this one was very light. I liked the addition of blueberries. Super yum.

That blueberry banana bread sounds tasty! I can also see that flavor combination working well for pancakes or waffles.

The last dessert I baked a while ago was banana bread. Maybe I can give this a whirl and add some more spices, maybe some citrus, and a glaze on top. That can be my weekend project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86