Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I roasted the yellow zucchini at 400 deg until they were lightly browned. I didn't look at the clock but maybe 30 min? I drizzled olive oil on them first. Then sprinkled onion and garlic powder. I added parsley, salt and pepper. I sprinkled gluten free seasoned breadcrumbs on and then Parmesan cheese.

In the other pan, on the potatoes, carrots, garlic and onions, I used Rosemary infused olive oil, Thyme, parsley, Rosemary, salt and pepper.

It all looks good and smells good. Now that it is cooled off some, I shall have dinner!

Attachments

• 8C518845-C326-4060-8E79-DE206FA99065.jpeg
    8C518845-C326-4060-8E79-DE206FA99065.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 12
I just returned home after a relaxing manicure and pedicure. I thought about PN and hope that her surgery went well and that she will not be too uncomfortable afterwards.

DH went to Costco for our regular monthly trip. We always have an ongoing list of products that we use regularly and replace them when necessary. There were several items featured in the member coupon book this month that are frequent purchases, and even though some things were not particularly urgent, it was worthwhile to get them. There was a good price on TP, so we now have a total of 56 rolls! It wasn't urgent but was too good a price to pass up.

We always get a rotisserie chicken and sockeye salmon on Costo trips. There's enough salmon for two meals (in freezer), and the rotisserie chicken will render three nice meals. I had one of the drumsticks for dinner on Tuesday while DH finished his leftover chicken fajitas. I had the second drumstick for lunch yesterday and made chicken salad for dinner. We'll take a chicken break tonight and enjoy swordfish with Michigan sweet corn, and I will make Chicken Paprikash tomorrow with the rest of the meat from the flavorful plump bird.

I'm definitely in slug mode, foot propped up, had a small bagel this morning, snacked on a few corn chips, took all my meds. Just needed a Tylenol this morning. I'm not a fan of pain meds altho I took one last night.

Surgery was delayed like they nearly always are but it went smoothly. They did have to give me a potassium IV drip and get my BP down. I can't wait to be able to get around better. My cane is helping me balance so I should be fine.

After we finally left the hospital last evening, my daughter picked up Greek food. I had a beef & lamb gyro w/o onions. I couldn't eat it all but it was so good. We shared Greek fries which we have never had before. They had seasonings and feta cheese on top with tzatziki on the side to dip them in. The order so big there were some left for her lunch today.

I'm definitely in slug mode, foot propped up, had a small bagel this morning, snacked on a few corn chips, took all my meds. Just needed a Tylenol this morning. I'm not a fan of pain meds altho I took one last night.

Surgery was delayed like they nearly always are but it went smoothly. They did have to give me a potassium IV drip and get my BP down. I can't wait to be able to get around better. My cane is helping me balance so I should be fine.

After we finally left the hospital last evening, my daughter picked up Greek food. I had a beef & lamb gyro w/o onions. I couldn't eat it all but it was so good. We shared Greek fries which we have never had before. They had seasonings and feta cheese on top with tzatziki on the side to dip them in. The order so big there were some left for her lunch today.
Glad your surgery went well and hope the recovery is breezy. Please don't try to do too much. You've done so much food prep in recent weeks that you probably shouldn't have to be on your feet in the kitchen.

I made Chicken Paprikash this morning before it got too hot. This is not a typical dish for me to make during the summer, but we had a partial bag of egg noodles and a partial carton of sour cream, along with the rest of the Costco rotisserie chicken, so it made sense to make the chicken dish that DH enjoys. There will be plenty of leftovers, so I don't plan on cooking over the weekend.

It has been really nice lately with low humidity and cooler nights. Sunny and warm during the day but not the oppressive heat and humidity that we had in recent weeks.

I don't know what made me think of this, but my mom loved poetry (as do I) and had several books of poems that I started to read in my early childhood. I loved this poem and laughed whenever I read or recited it :)

Jennifer Jean

Jennifer Jean - is learning to cook

Jennifer Jean gets grease on the book.

She stands on a stool, to stir the batter and licks her fingers - one taste won't matter.

There's flour on the flour and flour in her hair,

and globs of goo, on the seat of the chair.

An egg lies down on the table to cry, before she finds it, the white will dry.

After my podiatrist appt, I hobbled into Publix. No e-carts avail. It was exhausting but I didn’t need much. I found the right jar of pickled beets. Put them in the fridge for tomorrow. I was craving them.

It was a rainy dreary day and soup sounded good. No tomato bisque on the soup bar tho. It was 11am and the fresh fried chicken smelled good. I got the 2 piece chicken meal (breast & drumstick) with carrots and Italian beans and a dinner roll. Only $4.99!!!

The lady gave me so much food it was lunch and dinner! It was so good. The carrots had a slightly sweet taste like they added honey. I couldn’t make that meal for $5.00.

Beef olives for me tonight, i dont know if you guys overseas will have heard of them? My granny used to make her own, but i just buy them ready made from the butcher. Its basically thinly sliced beef wrapped around sausagemeat, not an olive in sight! Not sure why they have that name. I'll casserole them with leeks, onion, carrot and gravy. And serve with tatties and veg! Yum!

Beef olives for me tonight, i dont know if you guys overseas will have heard of them? My granny used to make her own, but i just buy them ready made from the butcher. Its basically thinly sliced beef wrapped around sausagemeat, not an olive in sight! Not sure why they have that name. I'll casserole them with leeks, onion, carrot and gravy. And serve with tatties and veg! Yum!

The meaty bundles look like stuffed olives :) I'm guessing that's how name came about. JMO

I just finished the remainder of pesto pasta that I ordered for dinner at Picano's on Sunday night. I had never had their pesto previously in any dish and wanted to try it. OMG! It was divine. I had no idea what I'd been missing. You have a choice of several different types of pasta, so I chose penne. The huge bowl of pasta looked and smelled amazing when brought to the table. I barely ate 1/3 of the bowl and have had it for lunch the last two days. Pesto is easy to make but has awesome flavor. DH got pickerel, and we shared the Carciofi Tosca appetizer (4 artichoke hearts dipped in light egg and cheese batter and served with lemon butter sauce). Shared a carafe of house Chianti and got a cannoli to go.

We have a pound of raw shrimp and breadcrumbs that I made from a half loaf of ciabatta, so I'm making Shrimp DeJonghe tonight. I saute the breadcrumbs with butter, garlic, and white wine. Add fresh chopped parsley and the raw shrimp and toss with breadcrumb mixture. Bake at 350* for 10-15 minutes until shrimp are cooked. Yum!

We continue to make progress on our major cleaning/purging project. The kitchen is taking much longer than we anticipated, but we're carefully sorting through glassware/stemware, dinnerware, bakeware, serving pieces and purging what we rarely use or don't need. We bought packing paper at Lowe's and are carefully wrapping each item and placing in boxes for now. When we've done this in every room we'll figure out how and where to donate.

Maybe a reference to stuffed olives?

I looked at your link because I never heard of beef olives (your dinner sounds great!), then looked up skirlie, then ended up looking up Cullen Skink, which I enjoyed when we visited Scotland 4 years ago. My avatar is from a photo taken on that trip.

I haven't seen smoked haddock around here. I tried making Cullen Skink with frozen haddock fillets, which was pretty good, but not as good as the real thing in Scotland!

I just finished the remainder of pesto pasta that I ordered for dinner at Picano's on Sunday night. I had never had their pesto previously in any dish and wanted to try it. OMG! It was divine. I had no idea what I'd been missing. You have a choice of several different types of pasta, so I chose penne. The huge bowl of pasta looked and smelled amazing when brought to the table. I barely ate 1/3 of the bowl and have had it for lunch the last two days. Pesto is easy to make but has awesome flavor. DH got pickerel, and we shared the Carciofi Tosca appetizer (4 artichoke hearts dipped in light egg and cheese batter and served with lemon butter sauce). Shared a carafe of house Chianti and got a cannoli to go.

We have a pound of raw shrimp and breadcrumbs that I made from a half loaf of ciabatta, so I'm making Shrimp DeJonghe tonight. I saute the breadcrumbs with butter, garlic, and white wine. Add fresh chopped parsley and the raw shrimp and toss with breadcrumb mixture. Bake at 350* for 10-15 minutes until shrimp are cooked. Yum!

We continue to make progress on our major cleaning/purging project. The kitchen is taking much longer than we anticipated, but we're carefully sorting through glassware/stemware, dinnerware, bakeware, serving pieces and purging what we rarely use or don't need. We bought packing paper at Lowe's and are carefully wrapping each item and placing in boxes for now. When we've done this in every room we'll figure out how and where to donate.
Your pesto pasta dish from Picano's sounds wonderful, as does the Shrimp De Jonghe you are making today!

We went to a Greek restaurant Sunday night with friends and sat on a covered patio with fans going high above us. I had souvlakia made with chicken, which came with tzatziki sauce, roasted potatoes and salad. Very tasty. Had some white wine, and of course, baklava for dessert!

No I didn't! It wouldn't look as good if I did! You can buy good, fresh ones in the supermarket and they only take 5 mins in the oven, great for mopping up all the gravy.

I did try to make toad in the hole once, which is essentially a yorkshire pudding batter, but I must have done something wrong, I remember it tasted eggy! And just not the right consistency. There is definitely a skill to making yorkies, although they look so easy to make with so few ingredients !

No I didn't! It wouldn't look as good if I did! You can buy good, fresh ones in the supermarket and they only take 5 mins in the oven, great for mopping up all the gravy.

I did try to make toad in the hole once, which is essentially a yorkshire pudding batter, but I must have done something wrong, I remember it tasted eggy! And just not the right consistency. There is definitely a skill to making yorkies, although they look so easy to make with so few ingredients !
I've made Yorkshire Puddings that have turned out fairly well. I have special "popover" pans that are perfect for individual Yorkshire Puddings and souffles. The batter has to rest before you pour it into hot pans, and you cannot open the oven to peak - the popovers (or Yorkshire Puddings) will fall and be eggy and doughy. It's trial and error and takes practice.

I’m getting pretty good at hobbling around. I can stand for longer now. I decided some kitchen time was necessary. I am tired of everything I had made in advance and sandwiches.

I went to the church on Wed night and picked up food. I put the shredded carrots in the freezer. I don’t know why I never thought of that before. But they’ll be good for soups, salads, and coleslaw.

I found a Bourbon Steak seasoning packet last week and it should be good on that steak. I have to fix my grill first tho.

First thing this morning, I decided to tweak the cheesecake recipe. I found the Philadelphia Cream Cheese recipe without lemon. I diced up frozen strawberries. I put some in the middle and some on top. It looks good and smells good.

The remaining diced strawberries and their juice went into a 1/2 cup of whole milk. Then I added my last cup of pancake mix. I have 2 breakfast servings of pancakes. I should have added some cinnamon. But they hit the spot. I was happy to get a new box of pancake mix!

I cooked these 2 “meatloaf burgers” that I’d never had before. I ended up cutting them into small pieces. I’m not a meatloaf fan at all. So I built a pasta dish.

I chopped the zucchini and put onion & garlic powder, salt, pepper and parsley on it. I added some warm water and a pat of butter. 5 minutes in the microwave and it was tender.

I added the drained meat, drained zucchini, a can of diced tomatoes and a jar of pasta sauce to a big pot. I let that simmer for 20 min. Then made angel hair pasta. I put Parmesan cheese on top. It actually tasted pretty good. I have a lot of sauce leftover too.

I rested my foot in between each cooking session. Now I will go lay down and keep it up for awhile. There’s a birthday dinner for my best friend tonight. It’s at a Greek place called Appolonia.

Attachments

• 0F5AA110-83C4-4A81-AD34-549EE7FE3725.jpeg
    0F5AA110-83C4-4A81-AD34-549EE7FE3725.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 36EAFEFC-3116-4563-8900-F7D61AB2ACC7.jpeg
    36EAFEFC-3116-4563-8900-F7D61AB2ACC7.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 292C8FC0-E74C-4630-B73F-65F350F34003.jpeg
    292C8FC0-E74C-4630-B73F-65F350F34003.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 8B7DBE82-4464-4653-B18B-D50E1C2D4074.jpeg
    8B7DBE82-4464-4653-B18B-D50E1C2D4074.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 99E30D83-4E1A-4E33-A56E-0AB4028A9B9E.jpeg
    99E30D83-4E1A-4E33-A56E-0AB4028A9B9E.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 9C349849-C1A0-4E89-B07A-4925CAF5F5D7.jpeg
    9C349849-C1A0-4E89-B07A-4925CAF5F5D7.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 20
I’m getting pretty good at hobbling around. I can stand for longer now. I decided some kitchen time was necessary. I am tired of everything I had made in advance and sandwiches.

I went to the church on Wed night and picked up food. I put the shredded carrots in the freezer. I don’t know why I never thought of that before. But they’ll be good for soups, salads, and coleslaw.

I found a Bourbon Steak seasoning packet last week and it should be good on that steak. I have to fix my grill first tho.

First thing this morning, I decided to tweak the cheesecake recipe. I found the Philadelphia Cream Cheese recipe without lemon. I diced up frozen strawberries. I put some in the middle and some on top. It looks good and smells good.

The remaining diced strawberries and their juice went into a 1/2 cup of whole milk. Then I added my last cup of pancake mix. I have 2 breakfast servings of pancakes. I should have added some cinnamon. But they hit the spot. I was happy to get a new box of pancake mix!

I cooked these 2 “meatloaf burgers” that I’d never had before. I ended up cutting them into small pieces. I’m not a meatloaf fan at all. So I built a pasta dish.

I chopped the zucchini and put onion & garlic powder, salt, pepper and parsley on it. I added some warm water and a pat of butter. 5 minutes in the microwave and it was tender.

I added the drained meat, drained zucchini, a can of diced tomatoes and a jar of pasta sauce to a big pot. I let that simmer for 20 min. Then made angel hair pasta. I put Parmesan cheese on top. It actually tasted pretty good. I have a lot of sauce leftover too.

I rested my foot in between each cooking session. Now I will go lay down and keep it up for awhile. There’s a birthday dinner for my best friend tonight. It’s at a Greek place called Appolonia.
The strawberry cheesecake and pancakes sound delicious. Meatloaf burgers are new to me. Hope you enjoy the Greek food tonight!

The birthday dinner last night was at Apollonia Grill and it was a lot of fun. They bring you a type of bread with a little tray of garlic butter, olive pate, and oils with seasonings for dipping. We all ended up just ordering appetizers.

Mine was 4 big zucchini croquettes with yogurt dill sauce. I had asked for tzatziki but the waitress never brought it. They were good but I felt like they needed something more inside. The outside was crispy but the inside was just shredded zucchini.

I've looked at recipes online. They seem to be called zucchini fritters. Maybe when I grow a bazillion zucchini, I'll make some.

The mention of tzatziki took.me straight back to crete, when if you go to a restaurant or even just a bar, they bring out complimentary tzatziki and bread! Yum yum yum! They didn't do this in kos this year.

Lunch today poached eggs, avocado on toast with paprika sprinkled on top and plenty of pepper. It was gooooood!

Attachments

• 20220823_121423.jpg
    20220823_121423.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 12
The mention of tzatziki took.me straight back to crete, when if you go to a restaurant or even just a bar, they bring out complimentary tzatziki and bread! Yum yum yum! They didn't do this in kos this year.

Lunch today poached eggs, avocado on toast with paprika sprinkled on top and plenty of pepper. It was gooooood!
Yum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members