Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to like those tiny wax bottles filled with a miniscule sip of juice when I was a kid. No idea why but I sure thought I'd hit the jackpot if some ended up in my trick-or-treat bag. Now I like peanut butter M&Ms, peanut M&Ms, and caramel M&Ms. One of each all chewd up together. Yummy.

I never liked circus peanuts, wax lip candy, or those small candies that were individually wrapped in orange or brown waxed paper.

My favorite has always been Reese’s in any form: eggs, trees, pumpkin, etc.

I used to make a peanut butter cheesecake recipe that called for chopped Reese’s cups as one of the ingredients. I would shop all the post-holiday candy sales and stock up on Reese’s trees, eggs, etc. and freeze them for future use.

I never liked circus peanuts, wax lip candy, or those small candies that were individually wrapped in orange or brown waxed paper.

My favorite has always been Reese’s in any form: eggs, trees, pumpkin, etc.

I used to make a peanut butter cheesecake recipe that called for chopped Reese’s cups as one of the ingredients. I would shop all the post-holiday candy sales and stock up on Reese’s trees, eggs, etc. and freeze them for future use.
As I mentioned earlier, along with Snickers, Reese's Peanut Butter cups are my favorite Halloween candy. I don't like to hand out anything with peanuts or peanut butter for trick-or-treat because so many children are allergic to nuts. In recent years when we're home for Halloween, we've been getting cartons of snack bags of potato chips or pretzels.

As I mentioned earlier, along with Snickers, Reese's Peanut Butter cups are my favorite Halloween candy. I don't like to hand out anything with peanuts or peanut butter for trick-or-treat because so many children are allergic to nuts. In recent years when we're home for Halloween, we've been getting cartons of snack bags of potato chips or pretzels.
We used to hand out the mini microwave popcorn bags. There was a little boy in our neighborhood who was diabetic. His Mom said he was always so excited to come to our house. He knew he could have popcorn.

There was also a little girl who didn’t like sweets and loved that we had granola bars too.

Many years ago, before we had children there were 3 middle aged men who came every year. They were differently abled and very friendly. They were always so excited to come out. Some people were aggravated and said they were too old. I guess those people didn’t understand that everybody deserves joy. I love that we all have unique food options now so everyone can be included.

One of my brothers is coming to watch the Michigan game. He asked if we could have swordfish, so DH will be grilling later on. I assembled a colorful salad - Romaine, spinach/kale blend, red onion, cucumber, and multi-colored grape tomatoes. I've also prepped veggies for succotash - fresh corn, frozen lima beans, Vidalia onion, orange mini peppers, and cherry tomatoes. I will saute the veggies in canola oil with salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning. I think it will be a nice meal.

One of my brothers is coming to watch the Michigan game. He asked if we could have swordfish, so DH will be grilling later on. I assembled a colorful salad - Romaine, spinach/kale blend, red onion, cucumber, and multi-colored grape tomatoes. I've also prepped veggies for succotash - fresh corn, frozen lima beans, Vidalia onion, orange mini peppers, and cherry tomatoes. I will saute the veggies in canola oil with salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning. I think it will be a nice meal.
We are watching the game too. It's going well! The UNC game will be next. ETA: the meal sounds great!

Last edited:
I'm currently in Menorca, I've eaten well but not so much local cuisine. But I did order onion soup today, and it came with a fried egg on the side, which was a bit of a shock, that was a first for me! Aparently this is how the menorcans have their onion soup! The soup was really good. I've tried making onion soup before but I wasn't patient enough and added the stock too soon. Must try make it again. I asked the waitress afterwards was I supposed to put the egg in the soup - yes I was, woops silly me, I just ate the egg ha!

We enjoyed our first Michigan acorn squash of the season earlier this week. Simple preparation: Butter, salt, pepper, and freshly ground nutmeg. Sometimes I add a splash of maple syrup. Acorn squash is my favorite fall food. I like pumpkin anything, too.

Nino's was featuring boneless rib roasts, so we had a 3.2# roast that rendered several nice slices for each of us. Along with mashed potatoes and salad, it was a very nice dinner for two. Yesterday, I made mushroom barley soup with onion, carrots, mushrooms, barley, and the rest of the roast beef. It's delicious, and there is plenty left for a few more meals. This was my first soup of the season, and I'm looking forward to making many more.
I went to Publix and I saw the biggest acorn squashes I've ever seen in my life! They had to be about 8" across. There were a few slightly smaller ones but no really small ones for me. I didn't want to buy one so big I couldn't finish it timely.

I set up a salad bar for me and my oldest last Thursday and it was so good. I liked having all the ingredients already prepped and chopped. It made it quick and easy to make my salad the next day.

I went to Publix and I saw the biggest acorn squashes I've ever seen in my life! They had to be about 8" across. There were a few slightly smaller ones but no really small ones for me. I didn't want to buy one so big I couldn't finish it timely.
Couldn't you roast a large squash, enjoy some, then freeze the remaining portions in Ziploc bags? We've noticed, with Michigan acorn squash, that the smaller ones tend to be less "ripe", pale, and without much flavor. As the season progresses, the squash get larger, the flesh is deeper in color and much more flavorful. JMO

Since we ate high on the hog - cow, actually - last week, we're having simpler, less expensive meals this week. After a week of prime rib, sockeye salmon, and swordfish, among other culinary delights, we're opting for cheaper fare this week. We had Margherita naan pizzas on Sunday and California BLTs last night. This evening, we'll have pasta puttanesca - linguine with artichokes, capers, garlic, anchovy paste, diced tomatoes, and a pinch or two of red pepper flakes. Simple, but delicious, fare.

I'm thinking about making pumpkin bread today or tomorrow. Besides acorn squash, it's a fall favorite.

Nice! I make it sometimes, when we have really good pumpkin. I use the smitten kitchen recipe, and it turns out amazing, even with gluten free flour (my partner has Coeliac's).
Welcome to the "foodies" thread :) Do you make pumpkin bread with real pumpkins? I use canned pumpkin puree. I've used the Better Homes and Gardens recipe for years but reduce the sugar to 2 cups instead of three, and I add a cup of chopped walnuts or pecans. Pumpkin Bread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288