Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A 1,794 pound cheeseburger just became the world's largest commercially sold burger. Mallie's Sports Grill & Bar in Detroit took four years to plan how to cook and execute the beefy monstrosity. And it's actually on the menu...

We don't eat a lot of red meat (maybe 3 or 4 times a month), but every once in a while, I like a medium rare burger with blue cheese. Harkens back to my college days when there was a restaurant in Ann Arbor called The Red Bull. First time I ever had a blue cheese burger, and I've been hooked ever since. Gotta have blue cheese on my burger :D
Red Bull Restaurant | Ann Arbor District Library
I LOOOVE blue cheese and can imagine how well it would go with a burger.

Funny story: maybe about a decade ago I went into a local cafe and their special of the day was a "western" burger with bacon and bbq sauce. That sounded really good to me, but I don't eat beef. So I asked for the special but made with a veggie burger patty instead of a beef burger. The cook came out all concerned to check that that's really what I wanted, and to be sure I understood that bacon wasn't vegetarian! I had to explain I'm not a full-on vegetarian, it's just beef I'm strict about not eating.

I LOOOVE blue cheese and can imagine how well it would go with a burger.

Funny story: maybe about a decade ago I went into a local cafe and their special of the day was a "western" burger with bacon and bbq sauce. That sounded really good to me, but I don't eat beef. So I asked for the special but made with a veggie burger patty instead of a beef burger. The cook came out all concerned to check that that's really what I wanted, and to be sure I understood that bacon wasn't vegetarian! I had to explain I'm not a full-on vegetarian, it's just beef I'm strict about not eating.
when I was in college (in the dark ages when food was primitive) I used to make a bagel with blue cheese and bacos...(remember that ultra processed food?)

had to look this place up- they do have about 10 different bloody marys- one with a steak on it... but this is their burger:

View attachment 464977
Holy cow! How do you eat it? It would have to be disassembled for me to even start.
Ok… remove the onion rings to eat separately, then the burger becomes slightly manageable. They do this for presentation, IOW, it looks prettier, lol.

That romaine lettuce is beautiful, @PayrollNerd ! Now I’m craving a Caesar salad, so decided to find a recipe for the dressing. I can’t find any bottled Caesar that we like. This one sounds like one I will be trying, as I really don’t feel comfortable using raw eggs.

Im thinking of doing the salad with grilled chicken, and also like her recipe for that.

Last edited:
Holy cow! How do you eat it? It would have to be disassembled for me to even start.
Ok… remove the onion rings to eat separately, then the burger becomes slightly manageable. They do this for presentation, IOW, it looks prettier, lol.

That romaine lettuce is beautiful, @PayrollNerd ! Now I’m craving a Caesar salad, so decided to find a recipe for the dressing. I can’t find any bottled Caesar that we like. This one sounds like one I will be trying, as I really don’t feel comfortable using raw eggs.

Im thinking of doing the salad with grilled chicken, and also like her recipe for that.

I actually took chicken breast out of the freezer last night and put it in the fridge to thaw. I normally marinate my chicken in Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing for a day, then grill it.

I checked my brand new bottle of it and it expired in March. But it's never been opened and it's been in the fridge the entire time. Now I'm in a quandary, do I go buy a new bottle or use the existing one???

The chicken probably won't be thawed until tomorrow so I'll have to mull that over today.

I actually took chicken breast out of the freezer last night and put it in the fridge to thaw. I normally marinate my chicken in Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing for a day, then grill it.

I checked my brand new bottle of it and it expired in March. But it's never been opened and it's been in the fridge the entire time. Now I'm in a quandary, do I go buy a new bottle or use the existing one???

The chicken probably won't be thawed until tomorrow so I'll have to mull that over today.
I save dressings like that in the fridge all the time, and they last way past the best by date. Especially when I buy dressings in lots of three, like off of Amazon.
The BBD is apparently if they’re stored at room temperature. I would definitely open it and check it out, it’s probably fine. JMO

Best fast food restaurant in my state, also my favorite , is Whataburger .
Whats yours?

Whats yours?
PDQ for Florida??? No way. That place bites. We ate there maybe twice when they first opened. We were not impressed.

Whats yours?
It's Shake Shack for my state. I've been to the one that got kicked off the fame in Madison Square Park. My son and I were walking through the park one day a few years ago and noticed the line wasn't as obnoxiously long as usual, so we got a burger. It was fine.

Whats yours?

I grew up in Ohio and now I work there frequently. The favorite according to this list is Gold Star Chili, which is one of the Cincinnati-style chili chains.

Interesting though because the other Cincinnati-style chili chain is Skyline Chili, which seems to me to be much more popular than Gold Star. And there are Skyline Chili locations throughout the state, even a few locations in Indiana. Gold Star has locations only in Cincinnati area.

I think these “Best in every state” compilations are interesting although I always take them with a grain of salt.

For example, Indiana’s best on this list is Schoop’s Hamburgers, which only has locations in the far northern part of the state.

Kentucky’s is Fazoli’s, which has headquarters in Lexington, KY. It is a nationwide chain that has over 200 locations.

It'll be fine. That kind of thing is super stable, especially if unopened and refrigerated. I have so many bottles and jars of condiments past their sell by and best before. They've all been fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay