Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ve managed to move in only to find out that the very expensive stove I bought at the scratch and dent store has a faulty valve so it’s currently sitting in pieces in my kitchen waiting on a new valve. That leaves me with a hot plate, microwave and an air fryer to cook on. I may have toaster oven in the shed waiting to unpack yet. Tonight I managed to put together a chicken, asparagus and parmesan risotto for dinner. It feels like two steps forward one step back building this place.
Pretend that you are camping out!

After a rough 3-4 days of dealing with the weekly steroid dose (keeps me awake) and no sleeping pills (knocks me out) and a 48 hour horrid stomach bug, I finally feel like I’m back amongst the living.

No doubt my potassium is way too low so I’ve had orange juice, bananas and spinach every day.

I baked off 6 cookie meatballs for our bedtime snack. Milk and cookies comfort food. It’s been a chilly few days.

I got out my new veggie containers. I picked a yellow squash today! I’m reading recipes for Brussels sprouts with balsamic vinegar & honey. Zucchini Quiche sounds good and maybe a cheesecake with blueberries in the top.

Tomorrow I have everything set out for enchiladas. 3 veggie & 3 chicken.

Now I’m getting tired.

Attachments

• IMG_2286.jpeg
    IMG_2286.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2287.jpeg
    IMG_2287.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2288.jpeg
    IMG_2288.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Hope you're all enjoying your winter weather. It's nearly 108f where I am right now at one in the afternoon - 42c. I think I'm going to be eating something cold for dinner, or at least something that doesn't heat the house up for hours cooking it!

Hope you're all enjoying your winter weather. It's nearly 108f where I am right now at one in the afternoon - 42c. I think I'm going to be eating something cold for dinner, or at least something that doesn't heat the house up for hours cooking it!
108?! Wowzers. Take it easy.

We had some snow flurries yesterday. I timed my walk so I would be out in them. ;)

108?! Wowzers. Take it easy.

We had some snow flurries yesterday. I timed my walk so I would be out in them. ;)
I am inside, hiding from the sun like a vampire (as I always do) and have one of our two aircon units cranked to keep the general areas of the home at a bearable temperature. It's unpleasant, but to be expected until early March to get days this hot or hotter.

What are your winters like?
Here, in the greater Sydney area, we get some frosts through winter, the occasional dip below freezing at night. Up the mountains (which are not mountains by pretty much anyone else's standards) they get some snow. Where I used to live out in the central west of NSW, at about 870m above sea level, we used to get a couple of snow days a year. A few times we got to minus six Celcius. That was very brisk for a 160yo cottage, where the only heating was an open fireplace in the living room, the bedroom had a cracked windowpane right next to the bed, and both the kitchen and bathroom were tacked on with no insulation (the kitchen in the thirties in weatherboard, the bathroom in the eighties in cementboard.) In the winter we had about six blankets and doonas on our bed, extricating ourselves from under them all in the morning was a challenge.

Gosh I miss the fresh produce though.

Here, in the greater Sydney area, we get some frosts through winter, the occasional dip below freezing at night. Up the mountains (which are not mountains by pretty much anyone else's standards) they get some snow. Where I used to live out in the central west of NSW, at about 870m above sea level, we used to get a couple of snow days a year. A few times we got to minus six Celcius. That was very brisk for a 160yo cottage, where the only heating was an open fireplace in the living room, the bedroom had a cracked windowpane right next to the bed, and both the kitchen and bathroom were tacked on with no insulation (the kitchen in the thirties in weatherboard, the bathroom in the eighties in cementboard.) In the winter we had about six blankets and doonas on our bed, extricating ourselves from under them all in the morning was a challenge.

Gosh I miss the fresh produce though.
Thank you for this info! Interesting to me!

Your summers are like Florida. Can’t grow anything because the heat is scorching. I don’t even try but others grow peppers, okra & sweet potatoes. I pass on all 3 of those anyway.

It’s great for soil solarization tho. Heavy plastic on the garden for 2 months to kill bacteria & bugs.

It’s already 76 degrees & 71 % humidity. I’m watering the garden before the heat of the day (81 deg) arrives.

The sun hits the front yard first so I’m watering out there too. Sunflowers are loving this weather tho.

Attachments

• IMG_2289.jpeg
    IMG_2289.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 9
Your summers are like Florida. Can’t grow anything because the heat is scorching. I don’t even try but others grow peppers, okra & sweet potatoes. I pass on all 3 of those anyway.

It’s great for soil solarization tho. Heavy plastic on the garden for 2 months to kill bacteria & bugs.

It’s already 76 degrees & 71 % humidity. I’m watering the garden before the heat of the day (81 deg) arrives.

The sun hits the front yard first so I’m watering out there too. Sunflowers are loving this weather tho.
It's a damper spring this year in Sydney even though we're heading into el nino, but some are super, super dry, here. The Black Summer of '19/'20, we didn't have rain for at least six months. Probably didn't see the sun in about as long, the smoke cover was absolute. On the worst days, you could barely see the other side of the street. I almost forgot what a blue sky was like, it was just always grubby grey, brown, orange, or red. The sun looked like the blood moon on Zelda when you could see it at all. When we finally got the first rain, it lasted for about five minutes and smelt like a stale ashtray. We got a headstart on most of the rest of the world wearing facemasks. I still don't know how we kept our fruit trees alive; the water restrictions were extreme.

I think generally, climatewise, Florida is probably closer to Queensland. You've got gators, they've got crocs.

It's a damper spring this year in Sydney even though we're heading into el nino, but some are super, super dry, here. The Black Summer of '19/'20, we didn't have rain for at least six months. Probably didn't see the sun in about as long, the smoke cover was absolute. On the worst days, you could barely see the other side of the street. I almost forgot what a blue sky was like, it was just always grubby grey, brown, orange, or red. The sun looked like the blood moon on Zelda when you could see it at all. When we finally got the first rain, it lasted for about five minutes and smelt like a stale ashtray. We got a headstart on most of the rest of the world wearing facemasks. I still don't know how we kept our fruit trees alive; the water restrictions were extreme.

I think generally, climatewise, Florida is probably closer to Queensland. You've got gators, they've got crocs.
Someone told me that gators thrive in the heat and reproduce more frequently. We will be living in Jurassic Park with global warming!

We've just started adding smoke warnings to the weather updates for air quality. More forest fires since the temp has risen. Trees have deep taproots, that is how they survive these conditions. Sometimes it makes the fruit even sweeter. It's like that here with grapes and ice wine!

On another note: If you all haven't had a Tim Hortons Tim Bit...

Yesterday I went to Tims because I needed a little treat and was craving their Birthday Cake timbits. They only had 2 left and the rest were not what I wanted. So I made my order and asked if they had any more birthday cake timbits. He looked at me with a sad face.

I waited for the rest of my order and when I left, I checked the box and the whole thing was FULL of birthday cake timbits :D I don't know how the magic happened but I was so happy! It was a bad news day and I was trying to cheer myself up. I was so surprised to see an entire box of them. Of course, I ate them all :p

Now if I could just find the recipe for them...

Hubby and I did some Christmas food shopping today. As we were out, I tried to remember where the "best" hamburger joint was from the list posted here. My brain couldn't remember, bummer! (I know I could pull up the info on my phone, but I didn't.)

It must be Santa Con in the city because even in the morning, we saw many people in Santa clothes on the bar-hopping circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay