Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine

Discussion in 'Safety Tips and Things to do While Quarantined' started by Trudie, Mar 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thistle

thistle Active Member

I’m doing the same- I love Boar’s Head smoked Gouda w/ bacon, but lately it’s hit & miss at the commissary-

2. Sundog

Sundog Well-Known Member

Lehman's in Kidron, Ohio has broth still available for mail order, but it is pricey. They have some other pantry foods, soups, etc. They work with the Ohio Amish community in their region of the state and have their own products as well, and ship nationally.

realanastasia, LadyL and Tillicum like this.
  3. KALI

KALI Well-Known Member

Better then bullion (name says it all) is available on Amazon and at Costco. Lasts forever.

4. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

I use both the chicken and beef. It's great.

Store in the frig and its good for months.

@KALI, happy to see you here today :).

5. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

BTB is really the best. I've used them for years and love them.

6. Knitty

Knitty Well-Known Member

And they have a Vegetable Base and a Garlic Base! Yummy and lasts forever.

7. realanastasia

realanastasia Well-Known Member

Totally did not expect to find a klatch of Better Than Bouillon evangelists on Websleuths, but I am delighted to find it exists!

The BTB clam base makes a delicious broth for chowders and seafood stews, and I add a dab of the roasted garlic paste to veggies when i sautée or roast them—love the flavor of roasted garlic but hate the mess of actually doing it myself! My all-time favorite of theirs, though, is the No-Chicken flavor, which can be hard to find but which is an absolute godsend for me, as someone who does not eat chicken but loves (fake) chicken noodle soup and (fake) chicken pot pie!

Tillicum and anneg like this.
  8. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

CSA Day! Tomatoes, zucchini, broccoli, red cabbage, peppers, onions, cantaloupe, cucumbers. Eggs.

9. PayrollNerd

PayrollNerd Well-Known Member

Well that is better than my produce today. I cracked up when I opened the bags. I can only eat the tomatoes and garlic. Except I already had 2 bags of peeled garlic. I’m allergic to mushrooms, have no use for limes and not a fan of peppers.

None of it went to waste tho. My friends daughter has 3 hungry little preteen boys. Their 49 year old Dad had a stroke a month ago. We’re all pitching in to help. This was one way I can help so I was happy to share.

Attached Files:

10. HongKongPhooey

HongKongPhooey Well-Known Member

Whats a CSA?

Knitty and Warwick7 like this.
  11. mickey2942

Community Supported Agriculture - LocalHarvest

I love it. Direct Farm to Table food. And they closed down the Farmers Market here. So, every week I pick up a box of vegetables and fruit. You never know what will be in the box.

Bonus, this year especially, I don't go to the store at all.

12. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

I discovered BTB several years ago and have tried different kinds. My favorite is the mushroom, but I also have beef and chicken on hand all the time. The garlic was a bit overpowering, so I didn't replace that after I finished the jar. A teaspoon of BTB stirred into a cup of hot water makes a nice warm beverage during the winter :)

Better Than Bouillon - A Southeastern Mills Brand

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  13. anneg

anneg Well-Known Member

I had never heard of BTB before reading about it on this site, but I'm going to get some. Maybe beef and chicken for starters, but the clam base sounds good, as do some other flavors people have mentioned.

Tillicum, Teche, Knitty and 3 others like this.
  14. mickey2942

I love the mushroom BTB, and the garlic. The mushroom adds a umami flavor. Yum! There is also a chili base, I have not used it yet. There is an internet chef, Jeffrey, who uses BTB in a lot of his recipes. I like his Instant Pot recipes.
    Pressure Luck Cooking | If Jeffrey Can Do It, YOU Can Do It!

15. BetteDavisEyes

The mushroom BTB is my favorite - so earthy. I've never tried the chili base but will look for it next time I go to Nino's. I make chili at least once a week through the fall and winter. Mine is good, but BTB might make it even better.

16. abstr

abstr Well-Known Member

I love BTB. I always use the beef along with stock and red wine in my french onion soup for tons of flavor. I also like the chicken and mushroom. I will have to pick up the clam for DH and the garlic (I am surprised we haven't tried that yet).
    I have also gotten Minor's Chicken Base because I was at BJ's and that's what they sell and it is comparable.

Knitty, realanastasia and anneg like this.
  17. Really?

Really? South Jersey USA

Ok......BTB is now on my shopping list. Thanks y’all!

18. HongKongPhooey

HongKongPhooey Well-Known Member

That sounds like fun.

I have a fruit and veg box delivered every week here. It's overpriced really, the company's *thing* is that everything is organic, local etc but it's interesting to see what arrives and make meals out of it. I use them for my weekly shop now, adding cheese, tins and fresh meat etc. My previous supermarket delivery still has v v few slots, so this has worked well.

Tillicum, Knitty, mickey2942 and 2 others like this.
  19. anneg

anneg Well-Known Member

Does a jar of base last quite a while once opened and refrigerated? I'm not sure how quickly we will go through a jar. There are only two of us. Mushroom sounds really good too.

ETA: just noticed above people saying it lasts for a long time.

20. BetteDavisEyes

Refrigerate after opening, and it will last quite a while. Once you start cooking with it, you will find many uses for the different varieties, all of which add a richness to your favorite dishes. I love the mushroom BTB and add it to any dish that has mushrooms - beef stroganoff, chicken paprikash, gravies and sauces.

Knitty, realanastasia, kalvis and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.