Forensic lab's new high-tech device a game changer in fight against crime

The Cumberland County forensic lab's new Vacuum Metal Deposition can reveal latent fingerprints on materials, which used to be impossible to lift.

The machine deposits a thin layer of gold and zinc on the items under high-vacuum pressure. It can be used on paper money, plastic and fabric, and doesn't destroy DNA.

Glad you posted this is super cool. It also reminded me about something I meant to post the other day.

FBI Scientists Studying Wet Vacuum for DNA on Select Surfaces

The wet-vacuum method of collecting DNA from challenging surfaces, which has cracked a growing number of cold cases in some states, is being tested by scientists at the Federal Bureau of Investigation laboratory, according to a presentation two weeks ago at the Southern Association of Forensic Scientists annual meeting.

A whopping 47 times more DNA was pulled off the automotive carpet by the wet-vac system, as opposed to swabbing, according to the results. Twenty-eight times the genetic material was taken off the pine, seven times more was collected from the plywood, and five times more from the pressure-treated wood, according to a copy of the presentation.

More at the link.

I saw a demonstration of the wet vacuum system at CrimeCon last year. Very interesting technology.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back