Former Penn State President Graham Spanier has been charged with several counts

It's as if they refuse to acknowledge those email exchanges even exist.

Spanier throws BAldwin under the bus:
http://triblive.com/news/2257015-74...y-state-freeh-report-university-former-letter
In a five-page letter to the board dated Monday, Spanier said former General Counsel Cynthia Baldwin never told him of “any materials being subpoenaed from the university, or even that I had been subpoenaed to testify” before the grand jury investigating Jerry Sandusky’s child-sex crimes.

“I had no preparation or understanding of the context” before appearing at the grand jury, Spanier wrote in the letter, which the Tribune-Review obtained. “As I was being sworn in for my grand-jury appearance, much to my surprise, (Baldwin) handed over to the judge a thumb drive containing my entire history of emails back to 2004.”

Sounds like she threw him first.
Corrective edit- since the emails were post 2004, she was probably just complying with the subpoena.

What happened to 'no big deal'? haha.. the heat is on and now nobody told him nuthin'....not so 'comfortable' now are ya?

From p. 53 of the report:

Quote:
Cynthia Baldwin, who was then General Counsel, confirmed to the Special Investigative Counsel that Spanier was asked about the 1998 event in the interview before the Grand Jury appearance. 182 According to Baldwin, after the interview, Spanier said the interview "was no big deal" and he was "quite comfortable" going before the Grand Jury.183

Graham Spanier Begins His Defense

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/07/graham-spanier-begins-his-defense/260253/#

The disgraced former president released a letter to the Board of Trustees. From ESPN: (letter follows)...........

............Thus it is somehow "unfathomable and illogical" that someone with Spanier's impeccable credentials, and tragic past, would do anything that might repeat the sins of that past. But the history of people says different.

For me, the tell is in the second graf, where Spanier says he was merely copied on e-mails about Sandusky and thus is somehow not culpable. The claim of great nobility and great ignorance is a frequent pairing -- think about the "If I have offended you..." clause that frequently follows apologies these days. I am too noble to have done wrong, and any wrong I may have done could only have been done out of ignorance.

How ignorance became an excuse is beyond me. A university president who is copied on an e-mail alleging child rape by a high-ranking official in his employ, and pays it no attention, isn't much of president or anything. When you are leader, intelligence is your job. If you are ignorant, you have failed. Nothing will make that OK.......

What does it take to wake people like that up? So his defense is - I was abused and would never allow the sins of the past to be repeated, and I was never informed that there was a suspected child abuser about the place, apart from those two e mails they sent me. Which I didn't read, (although I responded to both of them).

Good luck with your national security job, Spanier. And my sympathies to all those whose security lies in Spanier's hands.

Cappuccino: What does it take to wake people like that up? So his defense is - I was abused and would never allow the sins of the past to be repeated, and I was never informed that there was a suspected child abuser about the place, apart from those two e mails they sent me. Which I didn't read, (although I responded to both of them).

Beautiful! Snicker Snicker, Giggle, breathe, giggle some more.

and THIS deserves a special reading:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012..._jerry_sandusky_scandals_a_common_thread.html

The Child Rape Cover-Ups

His career started in the early '70s, when he became one of the world's leading academic voices for "swinging," or mate-swapping. He wrote his doctoral dissertation on the subject, and he frequently published additional essays throughout the 1970s. His conclusion was that mate-swapping is good for marriages as long as it is not done in secret. In an article on mate-swapping that he co-wrote with Charles L. Cole from 1975, we find this gem: "We choose to view deviant behavior simply as behavior that some value and others consider wrong. An individual's behavior becomes deviant only when others define it as deviant."

With this attitude toward sexual morality, does it surprise you that Spanier himself personally refused to investigate a completely different sex scandal just a few days before the allegations against Sandusky were first brought to his attention?

In February 2002, a man named Paul McLaughlin spoke personally with Graham Spanier and told him that he had been sexually molested as a child by a Penn State professor named John Neisworth, on the Penn State campus. McLaughlin offered Spanier a copy of a tape recording in which the professor admitted the abuse.

Spanier told him, "Don't bother," and never pursued the case at all. A few days later, on March 1, football assistant Mike McQuery reported finding Jerry Sandusky anally raping a boy in the shower, and Spanier again dismissed the allegation, eventually leading to the current shambles of Penn State. The crime was evil. The cover-up destroyed an institution.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/2012...y_scandals_a_common_thread.html#ixzz22K55r8HH

I would point out that, unless the subject consented to be recorded, the tape could not be used in Pennsylvania.

I would point out that, unless the subject consented to be recorded, the tape could not be used in Pennsylvania.

Do we know whether or not he consented to be recorded? Does Spanier know?

Did he even bother to ask?

Do we know whether or not he consented to be recorded? Does Spanier know?

Did he even bother to ask?

I believe it was, which creates a problem (and would actually open the school up to liability if used).

Former Penn State president's lawyers to rebut Freeh report

...........One of Graham Spanier's lawyers, Peter Vaira, told The Associated Press there are "many, many errors" in the report by former FBI Director Louis Freeh, and the legal team will meet with reporters in Philadelphia early next week to point them out.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/1...-lawyers-to-rebut-freeh-report/#ixzz23Y31bKdd

Paterno, Schultz, Curley and Spanier.
Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil, uh... what is the nature of evil?

Experts: Ex-PSU president could still face charges
This is the original title of article, now has info on Curley/Schultz also....

http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=<DA0M957O1@news.ap.org>&ps=1011&page=1

.........."The Freeh report, whose findings of fact and conclusions were not challenged by PSU, suggests potential liability for Spanier," said Paul DerOhannesian, an Albany, N.Y., defense attorney and former sex-crimes prosecutor who has been following the Penn State case.

"If I was in the state AG's office, I would seriously be looking at" a criminal case against Spanier, said another defense lawyer, Will Spade, a former Philadelphia prosecutor who worked on a grand jury investigation of priests about a decade ago.

A spokesman in the attorney general's office, Nils Frederiksen, declined to comment, citing an "ongoing and active investigation" into the Sandusky matter..............

There could be a number of reasons why prosecutors haven't moved against Spanier, who led Penn State for 16 years until leaving office under a cloud four days after Sandusky's arrest. Prosecutors could have evidence that contradicts the findings of the Freeh report, for example. Or they could simply be taking their time to strengthen a potential case against Spanier, DerOhannesian said...............

Penn State is paying the legal bills of Spanier, Curley and Schultz under an indemnity policy for trustees and officers. Spanier has also retained the title of president emeritus. La Torre, the Penn State spokesman, said Spanier is contractually entitled to it.

In a July 23 letter, the once-powerful and nationally regarded president lamented that his reputation has been "profoundly damaged." He asked the board of trustees for an audience so he could give his side.

So far, he's gotten no response.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoist Gracie