France - Explosions and shooting in Paris, 13 November 2015 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Official confirmation of the early morning raids

Woman blew herself up in St-Denis apartment raid - prosecutor

The Paris prosecutor’s office has released a statement about the raids this morning that five people have been arrested as a result of the police raid in St-Denis this morning:

One woman who was holed up in the apartment is dead after she detonated an explosive device.
Three people who were in the apartment have been arrested
Two other people were also arrested separately - a man and a woman who were “nearby”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/li...rmany-on-alert-after-hanover-bomb-threat-live

Awaking to this news.
Thanks to Websleuthers for overnight updates.
Await confirmation of names of those arrested/killed.

Lots to catch up on the thread!

Bystander point of view, watching the dawn assaults, a local speaks, this area seems to be partly Muslim neighbourhood

Djamila Khaldi, a cleaner, 54, lives near the famous Saint-Denis Basilica which draws vast numbers of tourists each year and is not far from the street targeted in the raid at the heart of the town’s historic centre.
“I was up before 4am because I had to drive my daughter to the airport. I heard the shots and I just thought, there must be some kind of stand-off, terrorists must be hiding here. Already since Friday’s attacks there was a heavy atmosphere here.
“People had been asking how the attackers did it, whether any of them were still here. When the police “wanted” photo [of Salah Abdeslam] came up on television, people were asking themselves if it was a face they knew, some were convinced they’d seen him here at some point. There was a lot of fear.
“I thought there was probably a link between drug dealers and the attackers. What can you say?

“Terrorism has come to Saint-Denis, the mood has changed and it will stay that way. People are distrustful, looking at each other. Saint-Denis will be labelled for this now. It’s a real shame.”

and belgian TV reports:
BFMTV claims to have spoken to the man who rented his flat to the suspects in St Denis.

The man, who lives at 8 rue Corbillon, told the French broadcaster that two people from Belgium had rented the property.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/li...rmany-on-alert-after-hanover-bomb-threat-live

describing the assault on the apartment:
Police met with heavy gunfire in the apartment
A police source says that when police tried to enter the flat they were met with heavy gunfire from Kalashnikovs, writes David Chazan.
A woman was the first to open fire before blowing herself up with a suicide belt.
It is unclear if two or three suspected terrorists have been killed. One of three people arrested in the apartment is reportedly wounded and in hospital.
Three police officers have "minor injuries", the source said. None of the suspects have been identified yet. There is no confirmation that the suspected mastermind behind the Paris attacks, Abdelhamid Abaaoud, was in the flat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...m-Molenbeek-suspects-Syria-Raqqa-bombing.html

breaking now

media in St Denis say more gunshots followed by deathly silence

no confirmation on what this means

BBC correspondent tweets

Gavin Lee @GavinLeeBBC
French authorities confirm a police dog was killed in raid in St Denis this morning. 4 police officers injured. Ongoing operation #Paris
8:58 AM - 18 Nov 2015

Assad planned this in advance to get france and Russia and other countries to help him get his country back. Jmo.

And it worked. Now France isn't messing around. And Putin used the plane crash in Egypt to solidify to the United States on why we should join him and Assad on fighting isis in Syria. Jmo

Armen [spelling unknown]

Best Francphone in Syria

Stephen Carroll:

[Sources very careful with not yet confirming this information as certainly known], so far.
Only one source, not at all confirmed, close to the investigation, there may have been planning an attack on the ??La Defense (a neighborhood, a central business area)??

to add to previous info

5 injured police officers injured condition unknown

man and woman arrested nearby

7:30 last explosion was heard

Aurore Cloe Depuis:

Elite police deployed. Security still very heavy.

Nobody has seen this individual on the run, so may have been a false alarm.

According to an official in Town Hall: there may be one or two still holed up.

Operation ongoing.

http://www.france24.com/en/section/france-24/ [adding info not previously]

Via SC, above

Exclusive: Paris attacker may have had accomplice on journey through Balkans
BELGRADE/ATHENS | BY ALEKSANDAR VASOVIC AND LEFTERIS KARAGIANNOPOULOS, REUTERS

posing as a Syrian refugee, counter-intelligence and police sources say.

The assailant may also have reached Paris faster and more easily than expected because asylum seekers were rushed across some national borders at the height of the migration crisis in Europe this year to avoid bottlenecks after Hungary closed its borders, ironically to keep out suspected militants.

The assailant may also have reached Paris faster and more easily than expected because asylum seekers were rushed across some national borders at the height of the migration crisis in Europe this year to avoid bottlenecks after Hungary closed its borders, ironically to keep out suspected militants.

The source, who declined to be named, indicated to Reuters that Macedonia was coordinating its action with Greece, and that a companion was with Mohammad by the time they bought ferry tickets taking them to Piraeus on the Greek mainland.

A Leros travel agent said that on Oct. 4 he issued two tickets costing 51.50 euros ($54.90) each to the men for a ferry departing the following night from the nearby island of Kalymnos, which is reached from Leros by a local service. The 23:10 sailing reached Piraeus on the morning of Oct. 6.

he owner of the Kastis travel agency in Leros, 42-year-old Dimitris Kastis, remembers selling tickets to Mohammad and a man who was with him. "He didn't do or say anything that caught my attention," Kastis said, adding that both men had paid in cash. He said the man travelling with him had a similar surname.

Greek media have published a photograph of the second man's ticket which gives his family name as al-Mahmod, and the initial of his given name as M.

he recognised this as the name the second man provided when purchasing the ticket.

The counter-intelligence source in Macedonia said Mohammad was still travelling with a companion two days after reaching Piraeus. They registered together at a refugee camp in the backyard of an old tobacco plant in the Serbian town of Presevo, though Serbian officials have not mentioned an accomplice.

Mohammad then went on to Croatia, either by train or bus, and was registered on Oct. 8 at the Opatovac refugee camp.

Reuters has been unable to determine what route Mohammad took after this, or whether he was accompanied by anyone.

he almost certainly left for Hungary within 24 hours, though Budapest has no record of him entering from Croatia, which at the time was offloading thousands of migrants every day across its northern border with Hungary.

Mohammad's most likely destination from Hungary would have been Austria.

But Vienna has confirmed that another of the attackers, Belgian-born Frenchman Salah Abdeslam, entered Austria from Germany on Sept. 9.

[but, not in the right order of text,]

Grundboeck said it was "conjecture and speculation" that a man going by the name of al-Mohammad had passed through

bbm

hmm doth protest too much. I bet this could be where they had logistics too since a number seem to have crossed through there and gone back and forth, possibly. All sorts of folks funnel illicit funds through there rather unseen, according to MSM on the subject. IIRC, it's a human trafficking hub of women and girls too, not sure, among other contraband. Who among the operators would need the cover of Austria, as they were Belgian and French? It seems like it could be some cross over point for their operations?

BBC correspondent tweets

Gavin Lee @GavinLeeBBC
French authorities confirm a police dog was killed in raid in St Denis this morning. 4 police officers injured. Ongoing operation #Paris
8:58 AM - 18 Nov 2015

A lot of police dogs used in France are the breed Belgian (irony) Malinois. Also known as Belgian Shepherd Malinois. It's a short haired breed, there is also a longer haired Belgian Shepherd. They are extremely intelligent and brave, very protective.
Let us hope that the police officers' injuries are not serious.

A lot of police dogs used in France are the breed Belgian (irony) Malinois. Also known as Belgian Shepherd dog. They are extremely intelligent and brave, very protective.
Let us hope that the police officers' injuries are not serious.

I love those Mallinois DanceCard -beautiful breed with great reputation - prefer them to the GSDog

Anyway 5 officers apparently lightly injured.

Breaking on the man who rented the siege apartment to these fugitives:
It appears that the man who rented out the apartment is among those arrested by police during the raid this morning.

He has been speaking to AFP - the news agency says he spoke to them “on condition of anonymity before being handcuffed and led away by police.”

A friend asked me to put up two of his friends for a few days
I said that there was no mattress, they told me ‘it’s not a problem’, they just wanted water and to pray.
I was asked to do a favour, I did a favour. I didn’t know they were terrorists.
AFP report his female friend was also taken into custody. She told the news agency that she had slept in the apartment last week and the dwelling was “a kind of squat.”

The two visitors arrived “two days ago,” she said.

Appears to be a lull in activity but nevertheless you can imagine there are a lot of StDenis occupants holed up in their apartments now

A young man who had come down to the police line near Saint-Denis’s grand town hall building said his father, aged 60, lives in a building very close to the raid:

He has barricaded himself into the bathroom. He’s panicked. He’s just waiting for orders from police.

And French govt meeting just convened:

French President François Hollande is holding an emergency meeting at the Élysée Palace with prime minister Manuel Valls, interior minister Bernard Cazeneuve, defence minister Jean-Yves Le Drian, foreign minister Laurent Fabius and justice minister Christiane Taubira.

The discarded mobile, from upthread, led police to the apartment-hotel where the syringes/pizza boxes were found ( not the St Denis siege flat)

A mobile phone found in a bin outside the Bataclan led French police to the hotel appartment in Alfortville where Salah Abdeslam, the suspected "eighth terrorist", is believed to have stayed for the two nights before last Friday's attacks.
It was rented in his name and police found syringes and intubation material inside, which could have been used to make explosives, according to Le Monde.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...m-Molenbeek-suspects-Syria-Raqqa-bombing.html

lots of siege photos/police ops, on one page here, but the article itself is out of date:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ks-Paris-suburb-anti-terrorist-operation.html

9.35 GMT release

Belgian authorities knew Abdeslam brothers were radicalised
Matthew Holehouse reports that Belgian prosecutors knew the Abdeslam brothers were radicalised, and interviewed Ibrahim on his return from Syria, but they didn’t consider him a threat.
Eric Van Der Sypt, spokesman for the Belgian federal prosecutor’s office, told POLITICO:
“He was interrogated on his return, and his brother too.”
“We knew they were radicalized, and that they could go to Syria. But they showed no sign of possible threat. Even if we had signalled them to France, I doubt that we could have stopped them

Meanwhile, Austria's interior ministry says they reported the presence of Salah Abdeslam to Belgian authorities when he was stopped in Austria in September, as he was on an EU-wide police list.
Ministry official Karl-Heinz Gruendboeck says Belgium had registered Salah Abdeslam in the Schengen Information System on suspicion of unidentified criminal activity.
Officials earlier said Abdeslam entered Austria from Germany Sept. 9 with two unidentified companions and they were stopped for a routine traffic check. They said they were planning a holiday in Vienna.

IT GOES BACK to what Sarkozy suggested, these people need to be tagged and/or under HOUSE ARREST and all comms data from that location monitored, WhatsApp or no WhatsApp! FGS:facepalm:

15 people were evacuated from the StDenis apartment block, counselling already set up for them
Caroline Piquet @CaroPiquet
Une cellule psychologique a été mise en place. Une quinzaine de personnes étaient ds l'immeuble, parmi lesquels des femmes et des enfants

He knew. No way he did not.

JMO.

IDK EllieBee, that was my first thought, sounded very suspicious - but there is a vid of him on that DailyMail link in post above yours.
I haven't watched it.

I do think they will, as a matter of course, be arresting everyone and there will be quite a lot of releases without charge.

bizarre - dummy bomb?!

Police are scaling back operations in Hannover after an all-nght search in the city where a football match with the Netherlands was called off over a terror alert yesterday. There have been no arrests and no explosives have been found.
A dummy bomb was found left on a train in the city but bomb disposal experts said it was a well-made fake,
writes Justin Huggler in Berlin.
The German authorities are refusing to comment on the information that led them to cancel the football match with the Netherlands 90 minutes before kick-off.

Disruption and media attention - is that the goal?

speculation in DMail , that the woman who blew herself up is the "mastermind's" wife

A woman who may be Abaaoud's wife is said to have fired her AK-47 at police before blowing herself up with a suicide vest as an assault squad stormed the apartment block.
As she tried to kill police, a rooftop sniper shot dead another terror suspect through a window

same article as previously linked to for quality photos, but tbh, this is speculation as the French authorities have not released any names at all just yet

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...b-anti-terrorist-operation.html#ixzz3rps61rzn

Who made this claim I wonder .. Anonymous?

“We report that more than 5,500 Twitter accounts of #ISIS are now #down!” the group said in a tweet.

Anonymous said it posted the accounts to an online forum, labelling them #daeshbags in a reference to Daesh, an Arabic acronym for the Islamic State.

In addition to being responsible for the closure of Twitter accounts, the activist group has reportedly begun leaking personal information of suspected extremists.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...t/news-story/20b3bf8ba6a0e59baf2ff9935f07cdb8

Looks like it, yes. So basically what they're saying they did is post a whole list of Twitter handles onto a site and got a whole lot of people to report them, to Twitter right?

So in reality Twitter took them down.

We don't even know if those accounts were in any way related to ISIS or not, we only have the word of 'Anonymous' who fed the media.

For a group called Anonymous they sure like attention.

Here's an informed bloggers view on this latest media push:
http://jesterscourt.cc/2015/11/17/p...ment-media-folks-anonymous-are-suckering-you/

Anonymous and ISIS: http://jesterscourt.cc/2015/03/21/the-isis-online-propaganda-effort-observations/

It's semantics whether Anons took down Daesh-related twitter accounts, or twitter did as the result of mass reporting by Anons.

At least they are doing all they can legally online to disrupt communications and the spread of propaganda.

Also, I think you misunderstand why they are called Anonymous.

Blogs are opinions; informed or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member