France - Jean-Francois Poinard, 71, found in freezer, Lyons, 2008

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Belinda, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Belinda

Belinda Doer of Things

Body of Jean-Francois Poinard may have been hidden by girlfriend for two full years

Courtesy of Jean-Stephane Poinard

The corpse of renowned French chef Jean-Francois Poinard has been found in a freezer after his girlfriend confessed to her daughter that “something unfortunate” had happened to him.

Police who discovered the body Tuesday in an apartment in Lyon, France, said it may have been hidden in the freezer for two full years. Officers who raided the apartment said Poinard’s former girlfriend, Guylene Collober, burst into tears when they arrived.

“I think you’ll find what you’re looking for,” Collober, 51, told police.

The body of 71-year-old Poinard was curled up in a fetal position and covered with plastic bags inside a chest freezer, police said.

Much more at link:
    http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38663456/ns/today-foodwine?gt1=43001

2. Loading...

3. nervous_nellie

nervous_nellie Carpe Noctem

this is really sad ... it will be interesting to hear what happened and what the cod is...

4. nervous_nellie

nervous_nellie Carpe Noctem

wonder what she has been telling people for the past two years!?

5. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

Wow, imagine having to turn your own mother in for murder?

I don't think I could do it.

6. YellowDog

YellowDog New Member

You mean no one missed him for two years? How weird.

7. Belinda

Belinda Doer of Things

It sounds like the girlfriend had isolated him from friends and family, according to the son. It sounds like he was making efforts at contact and his children were sending letters and cards, but received no response. The son lives in the US, so it wasn't a case of being able to drop by. Due to the changes in his fathers behavior I guess he assumed he just didn't want to be in contact.

But, I wonder, was he retired? Did he not have colleagues? People don't ask enough questions. When someone seemingly drops off the face of the earth, chances are they have.

8. tapu

tapu Pretty scary.

*snort!* Oh, gosh, sorry, it's just... the headline.... :blush:

9. CuriousTwo

CuriousTwo Member

How very sad!

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/08/12/france-chef-frozen.html

[snipped]

Authorities say his body had been frozen following a gruesome domestic assault in November 2008.

Guylene Collober, 51, has admitted beating Poinard to death and purchasing the freezer to contain his corpse.

According to reports, Poinard had been spotted several times with bruises.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...Chef-Jean-Francois-Poinards-body-freezer.html

[snipped]

The guardian of their building in the rue Laurent-Vibert where the body was found said Mr Poinard and Miss Collober moved into the apartment six years ago.

She added: 'I used to hear them arguing quite often.

'But because I hadn't seen Mr Poinard for a year or two, I assumed they had split up.'

10. tapu

tapu Pretty scary.

She had to be at least a routine suspect! Would they really not search their home, including the freezer?? (Or am I missing something? I'm confused.)

11. CuriousTwo

CuriousTwo Member

Oddly, no one even suspected foul play even though no one had seen or talked to him for about 2 years - it was only investigated after the suspect told her own daughter that something unfortunate happened to him and the daughter told the police. That's when the police searched the house and found him. Crazy!:banghead: